IGNORED

Tempest 2000 bonus stages with rotary controller

doctor_shred

Hi

I've just got a rotary controller and am thoroughly enjoying T2K with it. Just one question - are the bonus stages essentially impossible with the rotary controller engaged as you can't move up or down?

It's not a big issue as when playing for points I usually crash out of the bonus stages ASAP anyway.

Thanks.

Holy shit if true. I was this close to buying one of those rotary controllers from Ebay but not now. That's a huge drawback to playing probably the Jag's best game out there. No way do I wanna be switching pads inbetween those stages either.

What you learn later I guess. How come this is just now brought up when there was so much praise for that thing? Geez.

The "stay on the green tracks" bonus stages can be played with the rotary.

The "fly thru the rings" can't since you indeed can't move up or down, but IIRC you can plug a normal controller into the other controller port, and use the D-Pad during those stages.

Holy shit if true. I was this close to buying one of those rotary controllers from Ebay but not now. That's a huge drawback to playing probably the Jag's best game out there. No way do I wanna be switching pads inbetween those stages either.

What you learn later I guess. How come this is just now brought up when there was so much praise for that thing? Geez.

You can move up and down as Machine mentioned with the fire buttons. Also if you have a switch on your rotary and you time it well, you can use the dpad for left and right as well. It is still weird but it works. Plus you have the solution with the second pad so there actually isn't really anything to complain about.

• Like 3

Because its so hard for you accept that people dont wanna be juggling pads to play a game?

The bonus stages don't come around that often. Certainly not often enough to take away from the fact that the game is much better with a rotary controller. You have plenty of time to switch between stages so it's not like you are fumbling for the controller. If you haven't played the game with a rotary controller before find a way to try it out. It may change your mind.

Edited by Hyper_Eye
  • Like 3

Just in case it was missed, you CAN use the rotary for left and right, and A & C for up and down.

And, if you have a switch on a rotary with a d-pad or joystick, you can flick it (I think, I've never bothered) on those instances when the bonus stages come around.

• Like 1

Ah, some useful tips, thanks. I'll try the A&C button method first but switching to controller 2 for the bonus stages wouldn't bother me either.

This should in NO WAY put anybody off buying a rotary controller. These things are great and so much more intuitive for playing Tempest. Now to test with Impulse X and Kobayashi Maru...wahey!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Are you serious? I've been playing with both pads for 15 years without an issue. Its easy, place pad 1 down, pick up pad 2. Profit.

Why do that though? Why pay allot of money to juggle pads? Did you not read what I said or did you just blindly reply? Profit!

Are you serious? I've been playing with both pads for 15 years without an issue. Its easy, place pad 1 down, pick up pad 2. Profit.

I don't think he is understanding the fact that you don't have to unplug and plug in the standard controller. If you have both, you just plug the rotary in the port 1 and standard pad in port 2 and when those stages come up. Pick up pad 2 and play.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this? But that it what is sounds like? Or do you have to have the rotary in port 2 and standard pad in port 1?

• Like 1

To quote someone who posted about this exact same subject on AA in 2004 and to paraphrase what I wrote above a couple of weeks ago and what is relatively easy to find via the Googletron...

"A&C act as up and down and the rotary controls right and left during the bonus levels. Pretty difficult to navigate using this setup but at least it (somewhat) works."

No juggling required. No swapping pads required. Unless you want to. Or not as the case may be.

The. End. (???)

I don't think he is understanding the fact that you don't have to unplug and plug in the standard controller. If you have both, you just plug the rotary in the port 1 and standard pad in port 2 and when those stages come up. Pick up pad 2 and play.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this? But that it what is sounds like? Or do you have to have the rotary in port 2 and standard pad in port 1?

No you have it right. Plug in both and when a bonus stage comes up just pick up the regular pad. Thats it.

Indeeeeed

Actually, no. I've posted twice on this thread (this page even) explaining how it's done.

I'm not often overly obvious or even sarcastic on AA, but *seriously* it's not hard to read stuff on the same page that explains it all is it?.....

At the age of 42 I'm beyond being the rage guy lol. I survived the Jaguar forums during 199x, I'm sure I'm fine.

To spell it out yet again for those that don't get it (I don't put you in this category, you know your stuff) someone asked if it was possible to do the bonus stuff with the rotary. He eventually got it. Others don't seem to have. There's numerous options:

- Rotary only (Yes, it works! OP acknowledged, others haven't, even though Minter posted about it online in 1994 when the original rotary hack came to light)

- Rotary in port 1, normal in port 2

- Rotary in port 1, then juggle controllers in and out if you want (lol)

Batman never responded, he didn't seem to understand.

Edited by skip
  • Like 1