IGNORED

130 XE "slow start" issues

bernie

I just purchased an Atari 130xe off of eBay that was described as tested and working.

When I first powered it on, my screen flickered, then nothing. After several power on/off attempts, I was able to get the basic screen to come up and I then tried a cartridge and that worked for a bit as well. I then went out for dinner. When I just tried again, it didn't work again.

I am using the same monitor out connection/monitor as my Atari 800.

Any ideas what can be going on and what I should test?

Thanks!

Edited by bernie

What sort of power supply does it have? XE was notorious in that the included PS with many of them was junk. The epoxy filled ones probably the worst. There's a thread about the various power supplies which were used, a couple of them commonly go overvolt and can kill the computer.

PS's can also go undervolt which can cause malfunctions. Also, you get some where the DIN plug isn't the molded type and the wires can seperate from the pin internally, happened with my XL vented trapezoid type but at least with that it's easy access to solder it back on.

• Like 1

Here is a link to the power supplies. Seems that I have a type IV power supply which is not a good performer...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/144856-xlxe-power-supplies/?hl=%2Batari+%2Bxe+%2Bpower+%2Bsupply&do=findComment&comment=1761940

I will try to borrow a multimeter to test. Is there a "good" type of power supply to get Type I or III seem best according to article (or a modern version)? Best source?

Also, since it was delayed in shipping (~2 weeks) could anything have come loose inside (keyboard, RAM, ...) that can cause this? What should I check?

Edited by bernie

You need to use the "More Reply Options" to be able to upload pics, for pics already hosted elsewhere you can usually use [ img ] [ /img ] tags around the URL, without spaces.

The default on XE is chips are soldered in.

You could open the machine and volt test across the power input pins with it turned on. Not sure what the optimum operating range is, I'd guess probably 4.9 to 5.2 Volts, maybe a little less on the high end.

Ideally take a video of what happens when you turn it on. The most common symptoms when a machine isn't working are black screen or dk brown/red screen, or going to Self Test/Memory Test on startup.

Edited by Rybags

Thanks for the upload tip.

I tried to power on again this AM before going to work and was only able to get a brief white flash on the composite input. So I tried the RF input, and there the screen would go from static to black when I turn on the unit and back to static when I turn it off. I can upload a video later if needed. I was not able to get it to boot into basic today.

Any tips on what to do next?

Edited by bernie