IGNORED

What do you guys capture your gameplay footage on?

If you are using composite, you will need an older capture card. I used an older Elgato Game Capture HD and it worked well.

I currently use an Elgato HD 60 Pro on my desktop (internalized card), and a HD 60S (portable card, USB 3.0) when I record on my laptop. However, they are both HDMI only, so I go through an upscaler that outputs HDMI, or use my AVS to record NES stuff.

If your computer is strong enough, you can also run emulation and use a program of running desktop and window captures, like OBS.

• Like 1

I just made a video specifically about this, coincidentally. I think the only realistic options are:

1) Elgato Game Capture HD, which has analog and HDMI input but tops out at 30fps for HDMI if you care about that. (That's how the new HD 60 stuff is better, but the new devices don't have analog in.)

2) A cheap Chinese knockoff of the same - that's what I'm using, an AGPTek device. For RF consoles, I convert to composite through a VCR.

3) A newer HDMI-only device and a separate HDMI upscaler - these can introduce lag, though, so you have to be careful. It's also obviously an added expense.

4) Emulation and OBS Studio.

I personally don't like emulation on YouTube because it's always inaccurate in some way, and it doesn't show games the way they're going to look if a viewer then goes and plays that game on the actual console. So I think it's actually kind of deceptive. But it can be ok if you're up front about it, and obviously if you're doing something like reviewing an emulator. (Though then I'd think you'd want to show real footage for comparison.)

For NES play-throughs, I personally would probably just buy the Elgato Game Capture HD.

• Like 1

1) Elgato Game Capture HD, which has analog and HDMI input but tops out at 30fps for HDMI if you care about that. (That's how the new HD 60 stuff is better, but the new devices don't have analog in.)

An original Game Capture HD should still do 60fps if you are recording at 720p or 1080i, HDMI or not. It's 1080p that's locked to 30. Just a FYI for any potential buyers out there.

I personally don't like emulation on YouTube because it's always inaccurate in some way, and it doesn't show games the way they're going to look if a viewer then goes and plays that game on the actual console. So I think it's actually kind of deceptive.

I used to feel the same way, but in a world of RGB and upscalers, as well as FPGA hardware that makes everything look crisp and blocky, these days it's often difficult to tell the difference between emulation and the real deal on YouTube. So honestly, it's not something I would personally worry about.

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies guys. My stuff would likely not be with original hardware, but with emulation, be it on my desktop or Wii. Just to clarify something: when recording from original hardware, the computer is used as an intermediary, so to speak?

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. There's software on the computer that has to run to recognize the capture card, as well as pick up the video stream and record it to your computer. Some capture cards (like the Elgatos) have an HDMI pass through so you can play the game lag-free on another screen (or you can get a composite amplifier to split it out to a CRT before it gets to the capture card, if that's what you are doing).

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. There's software on the computer that has to run to recognize the capture card, as well as pick up the video stream and record it to your computer. Some capture cards (like the Elgatos) have an HDMI pass through so you can play the game lag-free on another screen (or you can get a composite amplifier to split it out to a CRT before it gets to the capture card, if that's what you are doing).

For example, I watched your CV 1 walkthrough that you did for me which was played on the Wii. Was the Wii plugged into the computer, as we used to do with VCRs? I'm guessing not. But something was plugged into something!

For example, I watched your CV 1 walkthrough that you did for me which was played on the Wii. Was the Wii plugged into the computer, as we used to do with VCRs? I'm guessing not. But something was plugged into something!

Uh.. it was plugged into the capture card. Which interfaces with the computer.

Wii -> Capture Card -> Computer -> Software.

I used to feel the same way, but in a world of RGB and upscalers, as well as FPGA hardware that makes everything look crisp and blocky, these days it's often difficult to tell the difference between emulation and the real deal on YouTube. So honestly, it's not something I would personally worry about.

There is a 0% chance someone who goes out to buy a ColecoVision or whatever on Ebay is going to get an RGB-modified console unless they're specifically looking for it (and the console in question actually has it available). Every single person who's new to a system, and 99.99% of people who have owned one for years, are going to see stuff played through emulation on YouTube and wonder why the hell their own system doesn't look like that. Heck, I've seen people wondering about it here.

Unless a video is specifically about emulation or some kind of mod, it's best to use an unmodified actual console. I think it's fine to use whatever the best original output available was (for example, VGA for Dreamcast, component for the original Xbox, etc), but I always think it's at least preferable to use the original output. I think emulation on YT can be ok in a pinch, for example if you just don't have a game and can't easily or cheaply get it but you still want to make a video about it. Then you just need to be really up front about what you're doing. Emulation should always be labeled as such at the very least, every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Showing off new toy:

I used to use the dvd-r technique after a lot of trial and error, but now that I'm gaming mostly via hdmi, I went with something more standard--the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2, It's somehow even easier to use and the quality is very nice to my eye (1080p/60). I like it because my game consoles and pc share a screen, and I don't have to flip inputs back to the pc to start recording. LGP2 has a giant start/stop button on the unit, and doesn't even need a PC.

Below is my first try at capturing with it. Raw footage of the Analogue NT Mini doing the gbc version of micro machines:

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I don't emulate but I have used OBS a lot before as well as Bandicam to capture on PC footage and my fellow tuber uses that as well if that helps with emulation capture options.

I am just too old school myself using digital cameras and my Roxio Game Capture Pro HD. Its all cause I love wires lots and lots of them. :grin:

I use aTube Catcher to record my gameplay footage for emulators in GENERAL (Atari, Classic NES, Master System, Gameboy etc.)

And when I record my gameplay footage for console, I will use one of 2 resources:

• Smartphone with a specific tripod
  • Recording feature on my modern TV (with a device inserted on USB port)

If you are capturing from a REAL device, the SA7160 based capture cards (They actually have a small FPGA on them) are the lowest-latency, highest-quality thing you can use.

https://solarisjapan.com/products/sc-512n1-l-dvi-component-hd-and-dvi-capture-board

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/HD-PCIe-capture-card-HDMI-VGA-DVI-CPNT-1080p-60FPS~PEXHDCAP60L

They also aren't cheap. You can capture HDMI, DVI, VGA, S-Video, Component, Composite all with the same card. It can even capture the weird SNES 240p60 mode, if you somehow manage to get a SNES to Component cable. That said, the only reason I know it can do that is because the Luma on the S-video is connected to the Luma/Green on Component, and when you switch inputs with the SNES running S-Video, you get a greyscale image in 60fps instead of interlaced.

If you are capturing emulators on the PC, use the native capturing if it has it (eg DOSBOX, SNES9X) as that will ensure there's no frame dropouts. If you don't have that option, use OBS, but you're not going to be able to capture a raw output. It's also possible to use GeForce Experience or MSI Afterburner's video capture to capture a less noisy output than using straight OBS, but there are compression consequences either way.

My personal preference is to try and get the original hardware, but in most cases, especially with DOS-era hardware, it's way too difficult to get working hardware and since PC software all over the place in performance, it's just less frustrating to use dosbox. Dosbox's internal capture correctly captures the correct VGA frame rate and palette cycling where as capturing with OBS or anything else will only be able to capture at 60, thus it will look like it's tearing even when it's not.

I have to use two capture cards: Hauppague HD PVR 1212 and a Dazzle DVC100.

I use the 1212 for every 480i and above console that supports Component (the exception is my Mega Drives, which bizarrely work in Component 240p), and the Dazzle handles every S-Video/Composite system. Since it interprets it as 480i, I still need to find a way to deinterlace that. I hear AmaRec TV does a great job at deinterlacing 480i to 240p.

• 1 year later...

So my Avermedia LGP2 has started to glitch frames occasionally during captures, and I can't seem to shake it. (example)

Additionally, it has always done 3 annoying things:

• refuses to sync to non-60hz, for example ntsc consoles at ~59.94 (meaning I use the framemeister to bring to an even 60, which causes issues)
  • Frequently isn't working, and I have to remove all three cables (usb+2xHDMI) and replace them to restart the unit
  • if I leave it plugged in, my computer takes 5+ minutes to boot vs less than 30 seconds.

It's been a year since this thread had some input--what's the best unit for me, especially with my 59.94hz issues?

I use the Elgato gear.. (originally started with the Hauppaugge 1212)

Game Capture - 8bit composite systems

Game Capture HD - for component

HD60 - HDMI capture

I would like to upgrade to an internal 4k Pro, but I'm not able to afford that at this point.

Thanks for your replies guys. My stuff would likely not be with original hardware, but with emulation, be it on my desktop or Wii. Just to clarify something: when recording from original hardware, the computer is used as an intermediary, so to speak?

Well if you're using your desktop that's the perfect setup right there. OBS to record your screen and optionally grab your webcam if you need your face on there somewhere.

• 3 months later...

I've got my finger over the go button and need one last sanity check:

The elgato HD60 (not HD60S) will do impure 60FPS recording, correct?

I want to set my framemeister to unmodified sync (sync mode="auto"), which many devices including my monitor take just fine, as does all the software in my production line. Unfortunately, my avermedia lgp2 recorder will not sync to anything but pure 60fps, so currently I run sync mode="off" which, despite its confusing name, converts to pure 60 from native ~59.94 or whatever. This leaves me with a stutter every few seconds that can't be unseen. I'm pretty sure youtube probably converts it to 60 at upload anyway, but I don't want to look at the stutter while playing.

Is there any down side to doing this? audio unsync when youtube converts, or similar.

Edited by Reaperman