IGNORED

Emulation in General

Every single emulator I've ever used has been inaccurate in some way. I don't always care and you may not either; I use plenty of emulators. But I don't consider them a substitute for the real thing; they're more of an added convenience to let me play in different situations than I otherwise could. It's like playing an mp3 on a set of earbuds on your phone vs. playing a song off CD (or vinyl) on a good home stereo.

I usually don't really understand when people make it an either/or thing. I suppose I get that you're having lag issues with the Game Boy Player. I don't really get the lag issues with other consoles over composite or RF, though. That sounds like a TV problem. It's physically impossible for an emulator to have less lag than the console it's emulating, whatever the output. An emulator's added lag may be so slight as to be imperceptible, but it's always adding a layer of interpolation that the original console didn't have to deal with. It can't have *less* lag than the original and still claim to be emulating.

Emulation has gotten better. For example, BSNES/Higan is accurate enough to play all SNES games including those with unusual co-processors with zero bugs. Nestopia Undead Edition is a good NES emulator. For systems that have become too expensive to collect such as Neo Geo and SNES I'll resort to emulation. There is also the convenience factor.

Lag is still an issue and that is why I ultimately prefer the real thing. It just plays better. You're going to have a much more difficult time beating a game like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on an emulator.

(Note that when it comes to aging console hardware and cartridges and discs that degrade over time, even the real thing is less than perfect and can have glitches that don't happen in emulation.)

Emulation has gotten better. For example, BSNES/Higan is accurate enough to play all SNES games including those with unusual co-processors with zero bugs. Nestopia Undead Edition is a good NES emulator. For systems that have become too expensive to collect such as Neo Geo and SNES I'll resort to emulation. There is also the convenience factor.

Lag is still an issue and that is why I ultimately prefer the real thing. It just plays better. You're going to have a much more difficult time beating a game like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on an emulator.

(Note that when it comes to aging console hardware and cartridges and discs that degrade over time, even the real thing is less than perfect and can have glitches that don't happen in emulation.)

Interesting points. A couple of questions.

1. To achieve the really accurate, high end emulation, do you need a powerful computer?

2. With lag, CTR vs high def has been discussed a lot on AA lately. Is lag something to be put up with in emulation itself, and not just a display issue. By the way I totally feel you on Punchout.

Edited by toptenmaterial

Interesting points. A couple of questions.

1. To achieve the really accurate, high end emulation, do you need a powerful computer?

2. With lag, CTR vs high def has been discussed a lot on AA lately. Is lag something to be put up with in emulation itself, and not just a display issue. By the way I totally feel you on Punchout.

1. It depends on what you are emulating and how accurate the emulation is striving to be.

BSNES/Higan used to be considered quite demanding, but technology has caught up, and it should perform fine on most modern PC's.

Someone is working on an accurate Genesis emulator called Exodus that has steep requirements, even steeper than BSNES/Higan. I'll keep using Kega Fusion for now. http://www.exodusemulator.com/about/news/item/16-minimum-system-requirements

Emulation of the 32-bit systems and beyond is definitely more focused on performance than accuracy. There are emulators that play many games well, but there will also be a fair number of glitches and games that don't work.

Edited by mbd30

I've got the room and have not one but two 32 inch WEGAs (one in storage in the garage) that work like charms and were totally free. It sits in the same room as my projector (particularly poorly suited for analog gaming) which is throwing 120 inches plus of HD on the wall.

But I also emulate frequently and love to do so, either for systems I don't own or games I can't afford! Playing games is what matters!