IGNORED

Intellivision II hardware problem

ClassicGMR

I recently acquired an Intellivision II and it has some weird graphics problems.

Below are 2 pictures of Microsurgeon running. I cleaned the cart slot and I know the cartridges are clean. This is directly into the system as well - the voice module is not in the loop. Every cart I try to run does this or in one or two cases won't run at all.

post-21025-0-25531200-1491140552_thumb.jpg

post-21025-0-56550900-1491140580_thumb.jpg

First open it up, inspect the main board closely, and remove any debris. I see both standard and programmable tiles are messed up. Guessing it could be the grom RO-3-9503, maybe RA-3-9600. If you have a flash cart you can try the mattel test cartridge. ( https://console5.com/wiki/Intellivision_II) Which cartridges don't run at all? Likely a problem with those cartridges.

If you post in the Intellivision forum, the experts there might have some ideas.

• Like 1

I actually have a flash card on the way. Meanwhile I will open up the system tomorrow and see what it looks like.

Seller states it worked when it left so I am also afraid it may be something from shipping. Can anything inside come loose on the INTV II? Anything socketed?

OK so here's what I did:

I tore down the system to the main board.

I used a can of air to blow out the nooks and crannies.

I unseated the 3 socketed chips VERY CAREFULLY and reseated them.

I unseated the power(?) board on the left side of the system and reseated that as well.

Works almost perfectly. (By almost I mean it needs a second or two to stabilize the picture when turned on but once booted it runs great.) Every game is running fine now.

I just fell back on my old school training - "If your modem can't connect did you unplug the RJ-11 wire and reseat it? This will break any static in the connection as well as force the pins to reconnect."

post-21025-0-44851500-1491280445_thumb.jpg

post-21025-0-73156300-1491280446_thumb.jpg

post-21025-0-13414500-1491280448_thumb.jpg

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 2