IGNORED

Reprints of Hotdog and Relief Pitcher and New Releases Coming This Month

Beta Phase Games

Do we actually know who own the copyrights of these games now ? What I don't understand is that I would gladly pay 10/15 euro for a ROM file download for these games and put it on my SD card. Me happy, copyright owner happy, they earned 10/15 euro without having to do ANYTHING hard like creating physical cartridges, manuals, boxes, ship them etc. etc.

I fail to see why they are so stupid. This is a tiny niche market. Have a look what a brilliant games people are creating for the A8 and letting them download FOR FREE.... so what is bad about doing a deal like I mention above ?

I just don't get it.

I think the issue with Rom only downloads is the simple fact that the rom gets out there. We know it will eventually, but at least if you have a select few that have it, then you can narrow down pretty well where the rom came from. But if you sell the rom for $10 - $15 then you will have an initial batch of people who will and are willing to pay. But now you have a lot more people who have the actual rom in hand. And it will get released out there for the masses to grab through more questionable means. Sure you can tag the rom with something to help you identify where it came from, but it doesn't prevent the fact that it would now be out there for all to have access to.

I wish there were a way to protect the roms in some method so that only by purchase you could use them, but I've no real idea how that would be done?

There is absolutely no point in protecting the ROM's. People don't share them imho. Otherwise we would all be playing Hotdog already.

In my limited experience giving out the ROM for free does not reduce the sales of a physical cart. Good examples of last year is Flappy and Always winter, never Christmas. There is a lot of collectors around.

A much better solution could be to develop for the SD cart and give away the games for free. You could then have a button like "A cup of tea for the developer" that would get something like €3. If someone wants to support certain developers they would get as much by this option. But with zero work in creating carts, boxes, manuals, posting stuff etc.

• Like 3

There is absolutely no point in protecting the ROM's. People don't share them imho. Otherwise we would all be playing Hotdog already.

In my limited experience giving out the ROM for free does not reduce the sales of a physical cart. Good examples of last year is Flappy and Always winter, never Christmas. There is a lot of collectors around.

A much better solution could be to develop for the SD cart and give away the games for free. You could then have a button like "A cup of tea for the developer" that would get something like €3. If someone wants to support certain developers they would get as much by this option. But with zero work in creating carts, boxes, manuals, posting stuff etc.

I'm totally on your track Karri.

• Like 1

I wish there were a way to protect the roms in some method so that only by purchase you could use them, but I've no real idea how that would be done?

Short answer: you don't.

If the game is playable, it is dumpable. And yes, watermarking roms downloaded from a digital storefront goes a long way towards public shaming the perpetrator who leaked it, but once it is out, then what?

If you sell unencrypted copies of the ROM in a digital storefront, I think you'll be pleasently surprised at how many people buys it, even if the Rom gets "out there."

Better it be available for people to enjoy, than play keepaway, and nobody gets to play it, while the owner squats on the rom and makes zero profit anyhow. Hard drive crashes, or the owner drops off the face of the earth, then what? Game is lost forever. :_(

• Like 2

Sometimes creating a physical release seems like a big part of the fun and like a 'true' release, but sometimes it seems like a hell of a lot of work, so hats of to everyone who's been doing physical releases, especially with 3D-printing, boxes, box-art, manuals and all :)

I've seen a bunch of games released for old systems (especially for the c64) online on itch.io, they have that donate option as well. Before the Always Winter release I was thinking of releasing RRR there. I wonder if digital downloads and physical releases might be slightly separate 'markets' anyhow. Personally I like physical releases the most for the 'authentic feeling' :) but the times I don't have enough money I'd buy digital downloads to support the developers.

It'd be nice if lost Lynx games could be released and/or re-released for all enthusiasts here though at some point. Hopefully everything is alright with the guy/guys behind beta phase games. It'll probably sort it self out if we have the patience to wait a couple of years more.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1

I'm a player, not a collector.

I (very much most of the time) don't care about boxes, manuals, physical cartridges etc. In fact, I sold my entire Lynx cart collection (I had long tossed all the boxes anyway) which payed nicely for the SD card (plus a bit).

However, if someone comes up with a download ROM release I would HAPPILY pay a reasonable amount of money. In my book, if 100 people pay 15 euro, you earn an "easy" 1500 euro. If you have to create boxes, manuals, cartridges etc. etc, sell 50 of them with 10 euro profit then....well do the math....

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Haven't read any of the new comments in this thread but wanted to post due to some emails asking about the games and the amount of time it has been since this was intended to be released.

The week of the 4th (of July) these games will be getting prepped for release. Haven't had a lot of free time lately but haven't forgotten about these either.

• Like 7

Haven't read any of the new comments in this thread but wanted to post due to some emails asking about the games and the amount of time it has been since this was intended to be released.

The week of the 4th (of July) these games will be getting prepped for release. Haven't had a lot of free time lately but haven't forgotten about these either.

In before the months of opinionated posts ?

Glad to see that the releases are still going ahead. Thanks for stopping in and letting us know :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Fool me once...

• 2 weeks later...

I sent an email a while back requesting a pre order for Hotdog, and AVP. Will new pre order requests need to be made, or will you be contacting those who requested the pre order with details on how to make payment?

How does one dump a lynx cart? Purely for research purposes mind you. I suppose would require some kind of dumping device correct? Anyone have one or know how to build one? Just curious.

This is actually a very valid topic, and probably deserves it's own "How-to" thread...