IGNORED

Finally replaced the A2000 PSU with an ATX PSU

eightbit

Ordered one of those nifty ATX PSU adapters from Amigakit and installed an ATX PSU. One thing that bugged me is that it was supposed to come with instructions (but didn't) leaving me scouring old online information to find that I had to change the jumper on J300 for the ATX PSU "tick". Thankfully it was an actual jumper on the board and not a jumper pad which made life easy :) Mounting the ATX PSU was another issue. The holes do not line up and I was faced with the hard choice of drilling holes into the A2000 to accomodate ATX PSUs or drilling holes into the ATX PSU to accomodate the pre-existing holes on the A2000. I chose the latter as I do not like modifying the case if I don't have to. I also had to create standoffs to had the PSU sit on top of as it is not as tall as the original.

I really didn;t HAVE To do this as the original PSU works fine (but is LOUD due to the old fan) but I wanted to do more to modernize this and keep it alive that much longer. Now it has a nice new 420W PSU and is pretty much ready for anything :)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

I notice that in this video, Greg Berlin mentions that the Amiga 4000 power supply is just a PC AT power supply. So I wonder if a person managed to just get ahold of the same size of power supply from the Commodore PC line... perhaps that would work as-is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW-v0nub8lE

Connector is different, so you still need to change the connector. But, it could be to old anyway.

Nice!

I converted an AT PS for my A4000 some time ago. I put the innards of that PS inside the A4000 PS housing for authentic look. I had look for a small PS to accomplish that.

I am actually considering trying this as well. What I have now works fine, but if I can get the ATX innards into the original PSU enclosure it might be a better option. I will look into that, thanks!