IGNORED

Suitable Atari 800 Power Supply?

ultrasteve

Hi all.

Am I right in thinking that the Atari 800 and 1050 use the same power supply?

I bought one of these for powering my 1050 (works like a charm). Is it suitable for a PAL Atari 800?

http://www.rock-gear.de/en/Guitar/Effects/Power-Supplies/Single-Power-Supplies/Rockpower-NT-8-EU.html?cur=1&lang=1

• 9V AC / 2.100 mA
  • Stabilized voltage
  • Input: 230 V
  • Like 1

This link lists 1.0 or 1.5 amps for different models, so it would depend on how accurate that rating is and how much you have plugged into the machine drawing power.
I can tell you I've powered several old machines off of one similarly rated power supply with no issues, and another worked until I plugged in a RAM expansion,

http://www.hardwarebook.info/Atari_8-bit_Power

This link lists 1.0 or 1.5 amps for different models, so it would depend on how accurate that rating is and how much you have plugged into the machine drawing power.

I can tell you I've powered several old machines off of one similarly rated power supply with no issues, and another worked until I plugged in a RAM expansion,

http://www.hardwarebook.info/Atari_8-bit_Power

no, those are all the later 5V powered models. The original 800 supply was a 31VA 9VAC transformer. 31VA equates to over 3A (or 3000mA). You can try the 2.1A supply, but it's possible you might draw too much current for it on a fully loaded 48K machine. They previously had a 15VA supply on the 400, and supposedly that wasn't enough, for the 400. The 400 having less RAM slots....

Not to mention, on an 800 you can plug in two carts, and an SIO device, and stuff powered through the joystick ports, and and and.....

So anyway, 31VA on the original supplies is almost certainly overkill for continuous duty, but by how much, I don't know.

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 1

Hi all.

Am I right in thinking that the Atari 800 and 1050 use the same power supply?

I bought one of these for powering my 1050 (works like a charm). Is it suitable for a PAL Atari 800?

http://www.rock-gear.de/en/Guitar/Effects/Power-Supplies/Single-Power-Supplies/Rockpower-NT-8-EU.html?cur=1&lang=1

• 9V AC / 2.100 mA
  • Stabilized voltage
  • Input: 230 V

I've been using these power supplies on my 800 with Incognito running various devices including SIO2SD with no problems whatsoever. Also in use on my 1200XL and 1050 units!

• Like 2

no, those are all the later 5V powered models. The original 800 supply was a 31VA 9VAC transformer. 31VA equates to over 3A (or 3000mA). You can try the 2.1A supply, but it's possible you might draw too much current for it on a fully loaded 48K machine. They previously had a 15VA supply on the 400, and supposedly that wasn't enough, for the 400. The 400 having less RAM slots....

Not to mention, on an 800 you can plug in two carts, and an SIO device, and stuff powered through the joystick ports, and and and.....

So anyway, 31VA on the original supplies is almost certainly overkill for continuous duty, but by how much, I don't know.

The 15VA power supply was enough for a stock 400, but not necessarily for one with upgrades. The 15VA version I got with my 400 blew the fuse soon after I upgraded it with a Mosaic 64kB RAM card in 1983.

15VA is probably sufficient for an 400 with the Atari 64kB upgrade, as the 4164 chips actually use less power than the 4116 chips on the stock RAM card. The use of devices which draw power from the SIO or joystick ports could also potentially overload it.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...