IGNORED

the Last CRT TV...

Atari-Collector

As moving day for me approaches in 3 weeks.. I'm faced with a hard decision, at least to me it is.. While I have a couple nice LCD TVs, I have one last CRT TV, a 25 inch Samsung in prefect working order and other them some dust, great physical shape too.

I'm moving to a smaller apartment, and have trained apes.. I mean mover doing the move. And I'm so trying to get rid of stuff I don't need any more, but torn on taking the TV to Goodwill or keeping it. I thought about leaving it in the apartment lobby and put a note on it saying 'free".. but I know there's at least two dumpster diver/scraper types in the building that would grab it and cut it up for the copper coils, not caring it was a perfectly fine TV.

I've played my Atari games on all my TV's Defender is amazing on a 60" screen.. but these game when made for CRT screens. And I hate giving up that too..

So this is a babble out loud post.. and maybe get some comments for people that have faces similar dilemmas. I know giving up my last CRT TV won't end my Atari gaming. But it was a expensive TV back when it was new.. Well cared for. Maybe wanting to keep it is one more nostalgia cling to the past.. I keep leaning more toward keeping it even with more limited space at the other end of this move. (and try to avoid watching the mover carry it to the second floor apartment with no elevator..)

Edited by Atari-Collector

I say keep it as well. I live in a two bedroom apartment with my wife and a roommate and we've still managed to make room for a 20" CRT TV for retro gaming. Unless you're down with spending $500+ on a Framemeister and custom video output upgrades for your retro consoles to make them look nice on modern televisions there's just no substitute for a CRT TV when it comes to playing old consoles.

As moving day for me approaches in 3 weeks.. I'm faced with a hard decision, at least to me it is.. While I have a couple nice LCD TVs, I have one last CRT TV, a 25 inch Samsung in prefect working order and other them some dust, great physical shape too.

I'm moving to a smaller apartment, and have trained apes.. I mean mover doing the move. And I'm so trying to get rid of stuff I don't need any more, but torn on taking the TV to Goodwill or keeping it. I thought about leaving it in the apartment lobby and put a note on it saying 'free".. but I know there's at least two dumpster diver/scraper types in the building that would grab it and cut it up for the copper coils, not caring it was a perfectly fine TV.

I've played my Atari games on all my TV's Defender is amazing on a 60" screen.. but these game when made for CRT screens. And I hate giving up that too..

So this is a babble out loud post.. and maybe get some comments for people that have faces similar dilemmas. I know giving up my last CRT TV won't end my Atari gaming. But it was a expensive TV back when it was new.. Well cared for. Maybe wanting to keep it is one more nostalgia cling to the past.. I keep leaning more toward keeping it even with more limited space at the other end of this move. (and try to avoid watching the mover carry it to the second floor apartment with no elevator..)

I've found it's impossible to even give CRTs away these days. You pretty much have to pay someone to take them off your hands.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they become valuable in the future as they become scarce.

Well, I'm going with the keep it plan. It's not that huge that I just have to give it up.

Now the entertainment center the TV use to live on has to go. 5 foot long, over 4 foot tall. wood, lots of shelve, glass door, the works, was like $600+ when new,. came as a kit in 2 boxes, the delivery guy worked hard to carry in each box. I can't see it being carried to a second floor with no elevator without something go badly.. Anybody in the London Ontario area that wants it and contact me and it's your free if you can figure out how to get it to your place..

• Like 1

Goodwill doesn't take CRT TVs (by me). If I had to play VCS on a modern TV, with the lag and other hassles, I'd enjoy it less. I'd wind up playing less. I'd end up being less happy overall.

CRT is good for your mental health.

The Goodwill here in London Ont. did take the 19" CRT I dropped off a month ago. The guy was in to old games also, so perhaps her latched on to it.

Goodwill doesn't take CRT TVs (by me). If I had to play VCS on a modern TV, with the lag and other hassles, I'd enjoy it less. I'd wind up playing less. I'd end up being less happy overall.

CRT is good for your mental health.

Spoken for truth. :thumbsup:

@OP: Keep the big ole' sumbitch.

• Like 1

Now the entertainment center the TV use to live on has to go. 5 foot long, over 4 foot tall. wood, lots of shelve, glass door, the works, was like $600+ when new,. came as a kit in 2 boxes, the delivery guy worked hard to carry in each box. I can't see it being carried to a second floor with no elevator without something go badly.. Anybody in the London Ontario area that wants it and contact me and it's your free if you can figure out how to get it to your place..

My Mother is moving shortly, and we are facing he very same dilemma. It looks like the massive entertainment centre will be staying in the basement for the new owners to deal with. I have utterly no idea how they ever got it down the steep, narrow staircase in the first place.

You may also wish to post this offer on www.cgcc.ca as there are far more Ontario people there than there.

Keep the CRT or get a smaller one. You never know. You might even want just the tube for an arcade machine... If I had a dedicated storage room I would have collected more than just my 6 brand new 15 inch flat CRTs and other 7 14 inch CRTs.

CRTs are soon going to be exclusive high quality visual gaming vintage stuff not seen in normal life.

This guy:

scarthunter.blogspot.com/

My Mother is moving shortly, and we are facing he very same dilemma. It looks like the massive entertainment centre will be staying in the basement for the new owners to deal with. I have utterly no idea how they ever got it down the steep, narrow staircase in the first place.

If you had to build it, you can just unbuild it and move it in smaller pieces. Of course, screws might become loose if you do it a few times but once or twice shouldn't be a problem. Some build-yourself furniture don't even use screws but some kind of twist-n-lock socket thingies that can be unlocked or locked by twisting it 180 degree with a butter knife.

Alternatively, don't underestimate good experienced movers, they move more furniture in a week than most of us will do in our lives.