IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

I believe the original 4-segment PS1 digital pad was to avoid patent infringement with NES/SNES Dpad. Now its a style thing. I own a few Playstation 1/2/3 controllers and don't mind the feel of the split Dpads at all. They are connected under the controller and work just as well. Diagonals as well as cardinal direction actuate with no issues.

Biggest issue with clone Dpads is getting the dome right. The dome on the bottom of the Dpad is one of the most critical dimensions. Shave off or add just thousandths of an inch of material to the dome on the bottom and you will end up with a Dpad that's too loose (diagonals actuate too easily resulting in accidental presses, and in some extreme cases all four directions can be pressed simultaneously by mashing the center of the pad), or a Dpad that's too tight (diagonals are difficult to nearly impossible to actuate without mashing down hard).

I assume that at first it was for patent reasons but then Sony continued with it to keep the original iconic look.

• Like 1

I assume that at first it was for patent reasons but then Sony continued with it to keep the original iconic look.

Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and Playstation all had very different Dpads based on outward appearance, however internally all consisted of a disk with raised nub in the center, which pressed silicon dome buttons when tilted.

Sega's Dpad was a disc with the cross on it. Nuntendo placed the disc part under the controller plastic. Sony made a split design. All three styles have a unique feel but function well. I'd give Nintendo's a slight edge over Sega/Sony though.

Starting with the Famicom in 1983, patents on the Dpad would have expired by 2003. In 2004, generation Nex came out, followed by Yobo.

• Like 1

NEX set the clone standard for promising the world and delivering absolutely nothing.

LOL, they did literally call it the "Messiah Console."

They did have an eye-catching case, which you can't say for the non-aluminum clones out there. I liked the way their user manual was shaped like an NES cartridge. But yeah, it's not beloved.

LOL, they did literally call it the "Messiah Console."

They did have an eye-catching case, which you can't say for the non-aluminum clones out there. I liked the way their user manual was shaped like an NES cartridge. But yeah, it's not beloved.

I think the AVS design was at least partially inspired by that brick.

messiah-generation-nex-20051220054918078

Side-loading NES, top loading Famicom.

famicomavs.jpg

• Like 1

I finally got one from a DVD/Blu Ray vendor I work with.

I kind of feel silly for wanting one now. I'm not sure what I was expecting I guess, but playing Castlevania 4 on my HDTV in the living room just made me want to go play it in the basement on my SNES with a CRT. I haven't tried pixel perfect or any of the filters but....man these games look better on a CRT.

• Like 2

Well to each their own. I am to the point I loathe using a CRT because all the games look like someone wiped a fine sheen of vaseline all over the viewing area and it sucks. I get wanting to be a purist but at some point it's time to just give up and accept it doesn't look as good. Even the industry knew it wasn't great as some games (1st gen 3D systems) used CRT issues/shortcomings to tweak games to cover up stuff too. I've preferred using LCDs since I got my first PC based one well before I got one for a TV as using those old emulators in the day it was just beautiful seeing all that lost detail and clarity of the pixel art. This clearly you wouldn't agree with if you had to run to the CRT in the basement to sanitize your eyes. :D

I don't see it as being a purist really, I do emulate and use mame and all that stuff, I don't consider those "fake"...but man I legitimately think Castlevania 4 looks far, far worse without the glow and blur of a CRT softening those pixels. The main character looks almost...well, awful, IMO. Each pixel being so perfect and clean on the Classic makes much of the game look kind of bad to me. (I also notice some effects that I assume were intentional back in the day, like the transparency kind of thing in the intro with the bugs crawling over the tombstone, don't work). I'll note I was far less bothered in say, Mario Kart and Kirby, which are far simpler character models pixel and color wise.

Good visuals, as usual, is in the eye of the beholder. Not a binary right or wrong to accept. :)

• Like 2

Well to each their own. I am to the point I loathe using a CRT because all the games look like someone wiped a fine sheen of vaseline all over the viewing area and it sucks. I get wanting to be a purist but at some point it's time to just give up and accept it doesn't look as good.

I love and use hi-def as much as the next guy but come on.. this is highly HIGHLY debatable. :) If a game is made for hi-def, of course it won't look as good on a CRT (fuzzy text and whatnot).

post-31-0-67141000-1512672287_thumb.jpg

But the opposite is also true, and to me after playing classic games in high resolution for years now.. whether it's via our own emulation means, or the new classic consoles.. you can apply all the filters you want to make it "better".. but it's always been obvious to me they simply don't look as good. Whether it's missing some of the phosphor glow in 2600 titles (e.g. the enemy objects in Missile command), or how SNES games look much more blocky and sure could use a little more vaseline blurring. :lol:

• Like 2

NE1, it's great that you like that nasty little CRT, but I'd rather not look at at ANY video on it, least of all XB360 output. Why do you have 2 consoles, anyway? Is the green one special?

lol that pic was taken several years ago (COD4 was still a new game :lol:). I guess I just pulled it to make the point of hidef game screens on a CRT looking not-so-great. :)

Regarding 360's, that green one I think was a Halo model.. but man I don't even know how many 360s I have. At least 6.. but maybe closer to 10? A lot of them were gotten for free from Club Bing back in the day but that's another story.

pr62jqf.jpg

• Like 1

Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and Playstation all had very different Dpads based on outward appearance, however internally all consisted of a disk with raised nub in the center, which pressed silicon dome buttons when tilted.

Sega's Dpad was a disc with the cross on it. Nuntendo placed the disc part under the controller plastic. Sony made a split design. All three styles have a unique feel but function well. I'd give Nintendo's a slight edge over Sega/Sony though.

I'd give it a heavy lead in every category other than how it can shred your thumb after intense fighting game sessions.

Well now I am glad I have it....threw it on the projector, and since it's HDMI, it's actually totally playable. (compared to converting non HDMI systems, where there was noticeable lag). Had to get out the tape measure....that's almost exactly an 8 ft 4:3 image. :-D

Yyq47KV.jpg

^Now that's just Badass!

I use a projector too sometimes, but mine's old school...It has S-Video!

NE1, it's great that you like that nasty little CRT, but I'd rather not look at at ANY video on it, least of all XB360 output. Why do you have 2 consoles, anyway? Is the green one special?

lol that pic was taken several years ago (COD4 was still a new game :lol:). I guess I just pulled it to make the point of hidef game screens on a CRT looking not-so-great. :)

Regarding 360's, that green one I think was a Halo model.. but man I don't even know how many 360s I have. At least 6.. but maybe closer to 10? A lot of them were gotten for free from Club Bing back in the day but that's another story.

pr62jqf.jpg

Given the "Quality" of Xbox 360s, I thought you always had to buy 2 ...

One to shit on, One to wipe your butt with afterwards... :lol:

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 3

Well now I am glad I have it....threw it on the projector, and since it's HDMI, it's actually totally playable. (compared to converting non HDMI systems, where there was noticeable lag). Had to get out the tape measure....that's almost exactly an 8 ft 4:3 image. :-D

Yyq47KV.jpg

Thats gorgeous. CRTs can go rust for all I care... this is where its at!

• Like 1

Wow nice an HDMI projected 8ft image of the SNES. I wish I had a wall that bare I could pull off something like that as I'd save up for the projector.

I'd have never done it if my buddy hadn't done it first. I was very intimidated by the measurements etc but he kind of helped me through it. And of course it has to be very dark to look good. But it's great for games/movies/sports.

And I have to say I played F-Zero last night....even sitting at a weird angle (due to those DAMN SHORT CONTROLLER CORDS!!!) it was awesome. That game more than the others I have played really benefited from being HUGE.

• Like 1