IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

I also like the colored buttons, but I also like the mix of concave and convex buttons on the US controller.

My biggest complaint was when they changed the button mapping around late in the design phase. Early prototypes could've solved many issues down the road had the SNES Y button stayed as the B button, and SNES B had stayed as the A button.

Instead, it created a problem whenever two button Nintendo classics are adapted for use on a 4 button Nintendo controller, with matched up button lettering conflicting with maximum user comfort. Some don't mind and are able to fully enjoy playing something like a Super Mario Bros. platformer with the SNES B used as the run button and SNES A used as jump, but many others hate it.

Yet you won't find any objections that Super Mario World for example used the Y button as the run button and B as jump. Everyone seems to be able to be comfortable with that layout.

I dunno. My anecdotal experience is that most people get confused on SMW as to which jump is the regular jump, and which is the spin jump, and they default to spin until this backfired on them.

Personally, I prefer the US style console, but only when it's the original purple-grey color. The Japanese version aged much better, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Instead, it created a problem whenever two button Nintendo classics are adapted for use on a 4 button Nintendo controller, with matched up button lettering conflicting with maximum user comfort. Some don't mind and are able to fully enjoy playing something like a Super Mario Bros. platformer with the SNES B used as the run button and SNES A used as jump, but many others hate it.

I've never understood the hate for the "Nintendo VC layout". I did a lot of GBA gaming on the DS because the SP hurt my hands, so Nintendo VC games felt like a natural progression of this. In fact I vastly prefer playing this way. Just look at the NES Dogbone and every iteration of the Gameboy, not to mention arcade layouts such as NES Advantage. Nintendo knew what they were doing. And yeah I'm aware that NES angle of inclination was zero while the Dogbone and Gameboy was closer to 22.5 degree inclination and DS had 45. Not sure what the exact inclination was on the SNES (40?) but B/X are closer together than A/Y. Playing with inverted -40 degree pitch where my thumb coveres both buttons and has to pivot vertically just feels awkward. I'd rather pivot horizontally and rock my thumb side to side on the edge of the buttons. I have a wide thumbprint so it's easy for me to just rock sideways to tap A while holding B.

For this reason, I reverted the firmware on my 8bitdo NES receivers in order to use B/A. There are fans of both layouts but people in the Y/B camp tend to complain more loudly than the B/A camp. I've also used joysticks to play Super Mario World, and the running spin jump move many speedrunners use, hold Y and tap A (using my index and ring finger on an arcade stick) is nearly impossible to do on a gamepad. Platformers need a completely different six button layout on SNES (YBA on the bottom, LXR on top) compared to fighting games (BAR bottom, YXL top) something I've covered in detail elsewhere.

Yet you won't find any objections that Super Mario World for example used the Y button as the run button and B as jump. Everyone seems to be able to be comfortable with that layout.

Doesn't bother me in Super Mario World but I always used the "B" control scheme in AllStars with the A/B layout.
  • Like 2

Not a fan of what was selected as the A & B buttons, Austin? If nothing else, I wish we had always had Super Game Boy style button selection functionality when NES/Game Boy games were made available on 4 button Nintendo hardware.

I'd of made much greater use of the GBA slot on my DS for an example had I been able to select in the DS menu to use the Y & B buttons in GBA mode. The Super Game Boy catered to both camps. Those that don't mind the button mapping and prefer the letter designations to match were taken care of, and those trained by many Super Nintendo games to rely on Y & B as the primary pair of buttons on Nintendo's ABXY layout had that as an option.

It took until the Wii U Virtual Console for Nintendo to again provide options. I hope whatever form the Switch VC eventually takes, that it doesn't take a step backwards with non-remappable buttons.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Not a fan of what was selected as the A & B buttons, Austin?

No, it's not a straight six button layout. It's freakin' useless for fighting games, which is half of the reason to own a stick like this. The euro version, while maybe not much cooler stylistically speaking, has a far more functional setup.

• Like 1

I suspected that perhaps was the reason, but you seemed so fond of the SNES controller in your streams.

Edit: Nevermind, I was confused for a moment.

I went off on a tangent with my posts and was referring to the styling of the console itself with that particular post you had quoted, after Flojo said that only the "USA got the purple Barney box". I like the looks of the North American SNES, purple buttons and all.

And then I thought you were talking about the standard SNES gamepad, where as it's clear you were talking about the two different styles of Super Advantage sticks now that I've reread everything.

My mistake. :)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Just to add Even More Confusion...

Unless I am misunderstanding something; The Super Advantage is one type of stick. The colors (of the accents) may be Purple (U.S.) or Gray (Overseas), with multi color buttons...It was made (fully licensed by) Asciiware. The confusion tends to set in because Nintendo made the original NES Advantage, but Asciiware made the Super Advantage.

Then there is Another type of stick. The Score Master. It was made by Nintendo. I don't remember if Nintendo made it instead of a Super Advantage or if it came after Asciiware had released the Super Advantage...

Now Emio made a version of the NES Advantage (though with actual microswitches and improved tech) for the NES Classic. Next, I assumed (wrongly) that they would make a version of the Super Advantage for SNES Classic.

In my line of thinking, they would be copying the Advantage Line (Advantage, Super Advantage)...But instead they made a version of the Score Master, Hence copying the Nintendo Line (Advantage, Score Master).

Either way, I much prefer the Super Advantage to the Score Master...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely comparable to rfreak/r5. Did you watch the hardware spec video posted above? It did not mention the clone boxes specifically, but the cpus of other devices in the same ballpark.

Yea.. but I was nodding off when they were mentioning specs and I was too tired myself to look up a comparison. Might do a real work comparison video someday, but I think only my parallel universe self has time for that.

• Like 1

Yes... as of last week. I finally broke down. Must have been about 10-15 at our Best Buy

Yeah. I think it is safe to say at this point if anybody wanted to buy one at retail, and hasn't had an opportunity yet, well there really isn't an excuse anymore. When the retail units start showing up in regular stock on Amazon (not from marketplace scalpers), Walmart, Bestbuy, Target, and elsewhere online, we'll know that demand has finally been satiated.

I still haven't personally seen one in the wild, although I own one from a helpful friend. Switches, no problem...everywhere. No Classics though. These will still shoot up in price, though, regardless, so best bet is to grab one sooner rather than later. While the scalping may not have been as high as the NES, scalpers are still snagging them. 20 bucks is 20 bucks to those guys, after all.

I wonder if the NES Classic reissue will include a second joystick. That's gotta be the best thing about the SNES Classic...two awesome controllers, no need to hunt. Should have been a no brainer for the NES, but I firmly believe that Nintendo truly didn't think that these systems would be the runaway successes they turned out to be.

• Like 1