IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

I wouldn't have been so kind to that heffer for doing that to a return after learning they'd go back on the shelf like that all messed up as some fool will think it came from the factory like that. I would have demanded the general manager. That wasn't lazy or stupid, it was malicious.

You'd just look foolish and nothing would happen other than wasting your time.

There was this vending machine in college that often failed to work correctly. Finally got sick of it and went to the campus offices where you were supposed to go for refunds according to the placard on the soft drink machine. I don't think they had ever had anyone go to the bother, and acted like I was as big of a cheapskate as Jack Benny.

Got my quarters back, but they went out of their way to make me feel foolish.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Curious Sofa, based on your last post, I went to my target on monday. Success! My local Target got 8 in yesterday morning. Monday morning, the guy in the AV dept. told me they would be getting them in but I totally forgot. Went tonight and got two of them. One for me, and one for my Son's Bday. My son also found me a channel F at a yard sale today. Good day in gameland.

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have time to complete with the unemployed looking to make a quick buck flipping these, so I went on eBay last night and got lucky with a seller that had 2 brand new SNES Classics. He had them list for $90 or "best offer", I offered him $65 each for 2 and he countered with $75 each for 2 and $11 shipping. SCORE! :)

• Like 4

I didn't have time to complete with the unemployed looking to make a quick buck flipping these, so I went on eBay last night and got lucky with a seller that had 2 brand new SNES Classics. He had them list for $90 or "best offer", I offered him $65 each for 2 and he countered with $75 each for 2 and $11 shipping. SCORE! :)

So you got one hooked up yet? What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Canada and own the North American SNES Classic Edition. Can I use the AC adaptor which came with it to power a Super Famicom Classic Edition?

Yes. It's literally the same microusb plug, like any android phone charger.

Also Japan and US share similar power outlets. Most Japanese electronics run fine on a US outlet. So even the original Super Famicom will run fine. A 9v unregulated adapter from Japan will put out roughly 11v on a us outlet. Most of the time the old vintage power bricks put out more juice than needed, so safer to use a regulated 9v instead for vintage consoles. Just never ever use an 9v ac nes power brick on a famicom, or any other dc console for that matter.

• Like 1

Also Japan and US share similar power outlets. Most Japanese electronics run fine on a US outlet. So even the original Super Famicom will run fine. A 9v unregulated adapter from Japan will put out roughly 11v on a us outlet. Most of the time the old vintage power bricks put out more juice than needed, so safer to use a regulated 9v instead for vintage consoles. Just never ever use an 9v ac nes power brick on a famicom, or any other dc console for that matter.

Thank you for the information. I actually fried a Famicom years ago and didn't want to do the same with the classic minis. I still have the Famicom I fried with its original box and inserts. Frying aside, it's in great condition! ;) I also have a used Disk System and games (Zelda and SMB2).

Are the North American controllers, USB power cable and HDMI cable all compatible with the Super Famicom mini?

Thank you for the information. I actually fried a Famicom years ago and didn't want to do the same with the classic minis. I still have the Famicom I fried with its original box and inserts. Frying aside, it's in great condition! ;) I also have a used Disk System and games (Zelda and SMB2).

You used the 9v AC NES power brick instead of the Famicom power supply, didn't you? :dunce:

Good news as it's likely only the power regulator that got fried. You could probably pop it open and replace the 7805. Gently tug on it (do not use force) with a pair of pliers and heat all three legs simultaneously with the iron. It should slid out effortlessly. Wick or suck the solder from the holes, pop in a new regulator, and affix it to the heat sink. Good as new. ;-) :thumbsup:

Are the North American controllers, USB power cable and HDMI cable all compatible with the Super Famicom mini?

All official Classic Controllers with Wiimote style plugs will work with either version of the console, US, Euro, or Japan. Original stock SNES controllers will not work at all.

• Like 1

You used the 9v AC NES power brick instead of the Famicom power supply, didn't you? :dunce:

Good news as it's likely only the power regulator that got fried. You could probably pop it open and replace the 7805. Gently tug on it (do not use force) with a pair of pliers and heat all three legs simultaneously with the iron. It should slid out effortlessly. Wick or suck the solder from the holes, pop in a new regulator, and affix it to the heat sink. Good as new. ;-) :thumbsup:

All official Classic Controllers with Wiimote style plugs will work with either version of the console, US, Euro, or Japan. Original stock SNES controllers will not work at all.

Guilty as charged! I will definitely not make that mistake again! Thanks for the tips on fixing the Famicom. It's great to know I may not have a Famicom shaped paper weight. I'm afraid I'll make it worse if I tried to fix it but maybe I can find someone who is comfortable doing it.

As for Super Famicom mini compatibility, I was only referring to what came with the SNES Classic Edition. I know I'd need a controller adapter if I wanted to use an actual SNES controller. I have an 8bitdo SNES30, so I'd look into getting a receiver for that before anything else.

Yeah one or two extra volts adapter side due to the 100v JP vs 120v US mains supply won't blow anything. Plugging an unregulated dc power supply adapter into a 220-240v Euro mains without a transformer will however.

AC current even at low voltages has a way of burning out 7805 regulators in short order.

As for the Mini console, get the classic mini 8bitdo receiver. Don't mess with the "2.4Ghz" wireless controllers since they arent' compatibile with bluetooth or other 8bitdo devices. Depending on when your receiver shipped, you may need to update the receiver firmware to make it compatible with the SNES Classic.

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/wiki/USB-storage-guide

FYI: hakchi2 is now compatible with USB Storage! So you can how use a flash drive and have the full SNES/SFC romset at your disposal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M7X6XNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9weUAbZN6CP7J

Recommend getting a left-angled usb adapter though, so you can plug in the power cable and a flash drive.

Still being restocked locally. Were plenty at my local Wal-Mart on Thursday, yet there were none just a few days before that (And Brickseek is showing that it's back to none in stock at the moment, with availability in 28% of US Wal-Mart locations). This routine has been going on since about two weeks or so before Christmas, when it seems like the rush finally quieted and they started to stick around my neck of the woods.

So I'd say that anyone that ends up missing out either just hasn't been bothered to take a few moments of their time to look on occasion, or belatedly has decided they actually do want one for one reason or another and unfortunately just ends up mistiming it whenever Nintendo pulls the plug. Or just very bad luck locally, I suppose.

I imagine they're approaching saturating the market at this point for this one, so anyone dragging their feet that wants one probably should start taking a look around in-person more frequently, look at store trackers like Brickseek or the retailer sites themselves, etc. The last shipment probably is going to be happening soon, with it quite possibly already out of production as I type this with the factory perhaps retooling and gearing up to produce NES Classic Editions for the upcoming summertime rerelease.

Edited by Atariboy

I completely disagree. I have been looking for one since January and have yet to see one at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Kmart or GameStop. I have been to each a few times since January and zip, nada, none. On-line it is listed as out of stock or selling for over $100 + shipping from third parties.

• Like 1

Keep in mind our locations, too. Good size communities around here in upstate New York in a region known to the locals as the "North Country" are those with 5,000 or more people, while you have the metropolitan New York City area listed as your location.

I don't find it too surprising that we could have two drastically different impressions on this topic from our own 1st hand experiences. We're in the same state, but reside in drastically different types of communities.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Stuff shows up in the south too. I tend to get the impression that perhaps resellers may be more concentrated in certain regions than others. Mid-size communities are the best places to search, where the number and frequency of stores per populous is best. Large cities have much more competition for local products. Small communities are lucky to have one Walmart serving quite vast surrounding rural areas.

My hometown of Shreveport/Bossier area for instance has 7 Walmarts (not counting neighborhood markets), 2 Best Buys, and 2 Targets, and a soon to be shut down ToysRUs. 12 stores in total.I have had good luck finding items at Best Buy (both locations). Target is also good. Walmart is too much of a crap shoot. RIP TRU. We have about 250,000 population including surrounding communities. Breaking it down, that's one superstore for each 20,000 residents. Assuming only 1% of the population really wanted one, each store would have to deliver nearly 200 units over the holiday season to satiate demand.*

The curve for very small and very large population centers will be different. Given demand on a national scale is strong enough that units still are non-existent online, there are still local regional droughts where such consoles are hard to find. Resellers do their part to equalize the unequal distribution, but not without significantly inflating the price tag. The fact that these things are still selling for 120+ online means consumers are willing to pay it, at least in some regions.

*I have no idea what the actual sales numbers per store are.

• Like 1

I completely disagree. I have been looking for one since January and have yet to see one at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Kmart or GameStop. I have been to each a few times since January and zip, nada, none. On-line it is listed as out of stock or selling for over $100 + shipping from third parties.

I am sorry to hear you're having such trouble! I once again saw some at my local Target this weekend, they get them every week (I grocery shop there and live down the street, so I'm there that often :) ). They actually had one after 6pm on Saturday night, tells you how easy to get they really are. Wonder why an Iowa Target would be getting more than an NYC Target? Or maybe your Target gets a few and sells them through quicker, hard to say. But I'd still focus on Target, I suspect you'll get one from them if you keep trying.

• Like 1