IGNORED

Switch box configuration

Opry99er

Alright, I've been trying to decide how many serial switch boxes I need to buy. I have gone over multiple configurations in my head, maybe someone can offer me some clarity.

I have my TI currently hooked up to a switch box that switches between my PC and my modem.

Works great.

I am adding an Apple IIe into the mix now and I need it to have the same ability to go to a switch box and select between the same PC and the same modem.

So, another switch box to set up the Apple the same way... that's one.

But then I will need a switch box to allow access to the two peripherals... One on the PC side to allow access to either the TI or the Apple, and one on the modem side to allow access to either the TI or the Apple.

I am currently using one switch box and 3 serial cables. Adding the new computer to the "network" will make it 4 switch boxes and 8 serial cables...

1 TI output splitter switch box (#1)

1 PC input splitter switch box (#2)

1 Modem input splitter switch box (#3)

1 Apple output splitter switch box (#4)

Cable 1) TI to switch box #1

Cable 2) Switch box #1 to switch box #2

Cable 3) Switch box #1 to switch box #3

Cable 4) Apple to switch box #4

Cable 5) Switch box #4 to switch box #2

Cable 6) Switch box #4 to switch box #3

Cable 7) Switch box #2 to PC

Cable 8) Switch box #3 to Modem

Does this sound ridiculous, and am I missing some obvious solution that would allow a more simple setup?

• Like 1

Aye, yes... I looked at those. But how would those help me split in the way I need? I need to split the TI 2 ways, the Apple 2 ways, the PC 2 ways, and the modem 2 ways.

I don't think a 4 way splitter would help... Unless I am missing something. Which is why I started this thread. :D

Do you have a need to have the modem connected to the TI while the Apple is connected the to PC at the same time? (or vice versa) If not, then you can use 2 switch boxes and 5 cables - the TI and Apple connected to one switch box, connected to the other switch box, switching between the modem and PC. If that's not the case, then you'll need to go full rats nest.