IGNORED

Atari 800xl problem (black screen and upramping tone/sound)

cerror

Crap, just missed this.

You think the 1nf will work as well?

I got it from: http://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Ultimate-1MB-and-Incognito-BIOS-and-XEX-Loader.pdf(page 7)

I would trust what Jon is saying to do in that document, although that is a big change of several magnitudes going from 100pf up to .1uf (1nf). Obviously the noise problem turned out to be much worse requiring additional filtering (looks to be not so much a noisy reset line but more like an occasional voltage spike that gets imposed onto this line). I don't think it's actually a fault with the Atari reset circuit, but something being overly sensitive in the U1MB itself. And having a wire connection of several inches long certainly doesn't help matters, acting like an antenna.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

I would trust what Jon is saying to do in that document, although that is a big change of several magnitudes going from 100pf up to .1uf (1nf). Obviously the noise problem turned out to be much worse requiring additional filtering (looks to be not so much a noisy reset line but more like an occasional voltage spike that gets imposed onto this line). I don't think it's actually a fault with the Atari reset circuit, but something being overly sensitive in the U1MB itself. And having a wire connection of several inches long certainly doesn't help matters, acting like an antenna.

- Michael

actually .1uF = 100nF, 1nF is only 1 order of magnitude greater than 100pF (.1nF) so this is probably fine.

I orderded the 1nf, but I am going to get a 100pf as well. Just to be sure.

• Like 1

As you can tell I don't use 'nf' values in what I normally do so I apologise for my mistaken notion that this was equivalent to .1uf (I knew those math classes that I skipped in school would catch up to me someday). Yes .001uf (1nf) should be fine, whereas .1uf (100nf) would probably create too much of a slope in the reset signal perhaps adversely affecting other chips that are tied into this same line.

- Michael