IGNORED

Help! Joystick button issues

zebracorp

I have a 7800 and about 30 games. I have two of the Sears model 7800 joysticks and two C64-style 2-button sticks. On most games, all buttons work. But on a few titles, the buttons don't work at all. Xenophobe, I can't seem to shoot. Choplifter, I can't attack. Rampage, I can't even select a character. These specific games won't work with any of the four controllers; the games that do work work with all four. (Note - in the games where the buttons don't work, the joystick itself does work.)

I'm hoping there's something really obvious I'm missing here. Does anyone know what the deal is, why there are a handful of games where the buttons consistently don't work on any of my four controllers?

Can you post a picture of that sears 7800 joystick? If it's this one https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sears_video_arcade_2_controller.jpg

then it's a 2600 joystick. The two buttons are both wired like the single one in the standard 2600 joystick. The same is true for c64 sticks.

You need a real 7800 compatible joystick, with two independent buttons to play some of the games (see here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243415-atari-7800-game-controls-list/?do=findComment&comment=3337316 )

Edited by alex_79

Our of curiosity, are the Sears joysticks you're talking about these ones?

CHeZF7B.jpg

If so, the reason they and your two button C64 style joysticks aren't working with Choplifter, Rampage, and Xenophobe is because those are games that require a two button Atari 7800 controller; and all your controllers are just ambidextrous Atari 2600 style single button controllers. They may have two buttons, but those two buttons aren't wired up in such a way that the Atari 7800 will recognize them as a two button Atari 7800 controller.

Most Atari 7800 games will play fine with single button or ambidextrous Atari 2600 style controllers, but for the games that require a two button 7800 controller you'll need either a Atari 7800 Pro-Line Joystick, CX-78 Europad controller, or a custom made joystick with two buttons wired up in a way that the Atari 7800 system will recognize them. Most people do not care for the hand cramp inducing Pro-Line Joysticks so I would recommend getting a CX-78 Europad. Personally I like them quite a bit and find them to be a comfortable and reasonably economic choice, though there are quite a few people around the forum producing and selling custom two button Atari 7800 arcade sticks (Edladdin, Wyluli Wolf, and Kosmic Stardust) that will give you a very authentic arcade control experience if you don't mind spending a little more for it.

Hope that helps! :)

Ah, ok. It's listed as made by "Sears" on that page, but the manufacturer is actually "Telegames". That's where the confusion came from.

The fact that it only works with single button games indicates that you have the 2600 version of that joystick (same case but with different wiring without the 7800 dual button functionality), like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Atari-2600-Joystick-Controller-Design/dp/B00NE534KG/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1416180768&sr=8-32&keywords=atari+joystick

You need a real 7800 compatible 2-button joystick if you want to play those games.

Thank you for your help, yes, it says right on the box that it's for the 2600. I was blinded by the fact that it looks exactly like the 7800 pro line joystick, complete with two buttons - but I guess they marketed it as wired for 2600 or for 7800 with the same look. Damn! Oh well, the more joysticks the merrier, I suppose. I just ordered a proper one. Good to know this problem was indeed staring me in the face and rather solvable! Thanks again!

The controllers you have can be modded by adding a 9 wire cable and 2 resistors. Modded NES or Genesis controllers are the way to go. If you really want to use a Proline controller, I suggest having the joystick shortened, it makes a HUGE difference. I modded both my Prolines and I'm thrilled with how much better they are.

I had a pair of 7800 controllers modded a few years back with an aforementioned shortened joystick. It also included a ball-top mod, for a more authentic Arcade feel. A very noticeable improvement for a game like Ms. Pac-Man.

However, the bigger issue with the Prolines, IMHO, is the hand cramping experienced when having to press the side fire buttons continuously; even worse if trying to do so rapidly. As a kid-teenager, even as far as into my twenties, it was a non-issue, never bothered me. The older I get, the bigger an issue it has become...lol.

An alternative solution to modding a Genesis controller is just purchasing a Seagull 78 adapter. The controller thereby retains its original hardware configuration, allowing it to still function fully on a Genesis, while properly mapping for a 7800 console (B = Button 1 / C = Button 2) as well.