Photo

My composite mod is worse than the coax output

3 replies to this topic

#1 rednakes1 OFFLINE  

rednakes1

Chopper Commander

• 168 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 9:08 PM

I did a composite mod last year in my CV using the kit from coolretroprojects. Unfortunately the kit actually made it look worse so I went back to my coax connection. Now that I have some time I would like to investigate this further. Also I could also attempt a different mod using my own parts.

For instance, I see a fair bit of noise in the screen with the composite output... kind of like faint diagonal lines one moment, then horizontal lines, then other types of interference patterns. It's not horrible but the changing noise gets annoying on games with blue backgrounds such as the Evolution title screen.

Anyone else had this experience? Ideas?

#2 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 16,587 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 11:53 PM

I wonder if a lot of these early systems relied on the Lo-Fi characteristics of composite and RF to mask a lot of the digital noise. On purpose. And modern day mods remove that filtering action.

#3 Bmack36 OFFLINE  

Bmack36

Moonsweeper

• 267 posts

Posted Thu May 18, 2017 5:01 AM

Do you have a picture of the mod installed? Where did you tap your connections? 

The second picture shows How I usually install mine.  
https://colecovision...tegory=20695415

Make sure to cut a hole in the RF box for the wires to come out so you can put the top shield of the RF box back on.

#4 rednakes1 OFFLINE  

rednakes1

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 168 posts

Posted Thu May 18, 2017 6:12 AM

This is the picture I took last year, so here are the connections. (See attached)

The wires are really thin in this kit so I wonder if that has any impact.
I did put the RF shield cover back on and routed the wires out a hole, but that makes no difference.

EDIT: From top to bottom, the wiring is: Ground, Audio, Video, 12V

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4532.JPG

Edited by rednakes1, Thu May 18, 2017 6:16 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users