I’m finally getting back into the Commodore 64 after many years and was curious what everyone’s top 5 games were for the computer? I was very young when I played games on the C64, anywhere from 3 to 5 years old; but I loved every moment of it. Our unit eventually burned out due to someone spilling something in it, which was a sad day for us.
My top 5:
1. Forbidden Forest – This game terrified me, but I loved the game play, the music and the variety of monsters that came after you. The looming pressure of the final battle, always made me sweat; but I managed to beat it.
2. Impossible Mission – Stay forever! The game’s digital speech captivated me as a little kid and made me question why more games didn’t have it when my parents got me a NES years later. I was never able to solve the puzzles and complete the game, but the platforming was enough to keep me entertained for hours on end.
3. Bruce Lee – My dad was a martial artist and really looked up to Bruce Lee, so it was no surprise that he’d have a copy of a game that featured one of his influences. This was another one I could complete on my own, but I’d often have to play as the green sumo whenever my older sister wanted to play. The game was really more avoiding the enemies and traps then it was a fighting game, but my dad and I loved it.
4. Raid Over Moscow – My dad and my sister sucked at this game! They could never get the fighter out of the space station and would often either hit a wall or get nailed by the door as it closed. I kept at the game until I could get every ship out and was able make it all the way to the very end of the game. I could never defeat the robot at the end though.
5. Pit Stop 2 – I’m not a big racing fan, but the fact that you had to make “pit stops” to have your crew repair your tires and fuel your vehicle was a very cool concept to me. This feature put a lot a tension on players when they were competing head to head! This was another one I played a bunch of times with my sister.
Kung Fu Master