IGNORED

Altirra 2.81 and new blank disk

repetto74

Hi guys,

I cannot get a new blank disk to work with Altirra 2.81. I am emulating the 800 XL and would like to have a formatted new disk but each time I create a new disk I cannot save on it (always having ERROR 130).

Any idea? :?

EDIT : ok Guys I am really DUMB. I forgot to copy Dos files on it!!!

EDIT 2 : Nope I did copy Dos files on the disk and checked they are there but still getting ERROR 130 when saving a progam (save"d1:test.bas")

Edited by repetto74

Hi flashjazzcat,

What do you mean by booting DOS?

What I want to do is to go to BASIC write down a program and then save it. If you mean booting directly the new formatted disk then yes disk will boot and I get to the DOS 2.5 menu.

Exploring the new disk will give this :

DOS.SYS

DUP.SYS

Edited by repetto74

Hi flashjazzcat,

What do you mean by booting DOS?

What I want to do is to go to BASIC write down a program and then save it. If you mean booting directly the new formatted disk then yes disk will boot and I get to the DOS 2.5 menu.

Exploring the new disk will give this :

DOS.SYS

DUP.SYS

"Booting DOS" means put the disk image with DOS files into the D1: slot, then cold-boot the machine - you should hear drive sounds and it should take a few seconds longer to get the READY prompt as DOS.SYS is loaded into system memory. If you did it right, typing DOS at the READY prompt will get you to your DOS menu or command prompt.

DrVenkman thanks for your explanation and this is exactly what I have when booting the new disk (think I have choose the double sided format).

I will check the writing protection, I recall maybe having already tried this but will try later. Which setting should I use ? R/W?

Many thanks

Yes, R/W is short for Read/Write.

Double sided doesn't work with DOS 2.5 which is what you

booted.

Double Density doesn't work with DOS 2.5 either but

they do have something called Dual Density which most

prefer to call Enhanced Density because it is neither

single nor double density and Dual just becomes confusing

then.

ED, short for Enhanced Density, does work with DOS 2.5 and

is the very reason for the existence of 2.5 flavor in the

first place.

I do not have this Enhanced Disk option in Altirra. This is crap no way I can get this damn disk to work and always getting this 130 Error. I just do what is necessary. Loading the DOS disk than format a new disk in single density 256 bytes and then writing DOS files in it. I do see they are there with the A command but then into basic always getting the error.

I have noted that also creating a new disk already formatted with DOS is not working (boot error on cold start). :? :? :? :?

I have attached the new disk formatted with DOS 2.5. It will boot to the DOS menu but cannot save on it. If someone may try it with Altirra and let me know?

DOS TEST DISK.atr

post-37196-0-44706600-1495646700_thumb.jpg

Edited by repetto74

Hi Flashjazzcat,

I am a little bit lost here. If you check the disk image in attachment all Dos files are in there. From the DOS 2.5 menu I start with the disk format option (I) and then I write DOS files on it (H). When calling back the directory (A) I do see a couple of files on the disk

DOS.SYS

DUP.SYS

Is that good?

Hi Spookt,

I am doing all good as you do since the time you put the formatted disk with DOS into D1 and do a cold start. I do not select the B option "run cartridge" but I do go straight to Basic prompt where saving is not allowed (Error 130). You are using a LIST command for saving your 2 lines of basic and I do not know why you are doing that. I was trying to save with a SAVE "D1:tetst.bas" command :?

Hi Flashjazzcat

Ok thanks for confirming!! Yes I do type the command in uppercase but error all the time. I may think something is wrong with altirra (I am using it on a mac through Wine). Can you confirm what are your emulator settings ? Hardware and memory ?

After creating your new blank disk and formatted it did you select 'Save disk' in the disk drives dialog? I guess so since you can then load it into D1.

I used the LIST command which is just a different way of saving. LIST creates a listed text file, SAVE creates a tokenised BASIC file I think. To be honest it's been a while. Shouldn't make any difference. Make sure you have it set to R/W in the drives dialog (not virtRW).

• Like 1

Hi Flashjazzcat

Ok thanks for confirming!! Yes I do type the command in uppercase but error all the time. I may think something is wrong with altirra (I am using it on a mac through Wine). Can you confirm what are your emulator settings ? Hardware and memory ?

I was able to use your ATR image in Altirra without a problem. I am also using Altirra on a Mac (macOS 10.12.5) using WINE. I have my Altirra set up as a 64K NTSC XEGS which matches my real hardware.

Can you type "DOS" from BASIC and see the DOS 2.5 menu? I am just wondering if DOS has been loaded. When using your ATR, I typed in a simple program and then typed 'Save "D1:TEST.BAS"' and it worked fine. I did do the Save Disk from Altirra to actually save the data to the ATR. However, not doing that would not give you a 130 error. I think your BASIC program would not have been saved if you did not do this. However, I will defer to more advanced Altirra users on that.

Bob C

• Like 1

Hi Spookt, the disk has been saved with R/W option yes and it is working on your side so it should do with me. Noted for the list command.

I think really something is wrong with Altirra itself. I will restart an emulator from scratch and see.

Darwinmac the disk is working on your side also thanks for checking. Mystery of computing really o-O. I will check as you suggested and revert.

Thanks guys :-)

Edited by repetto74

If you are following what Spookt did be it list or save it should work, for me that suggests you settings have become corrupt or for some reason you have a corrupt rom, firstly I'd suggest leaving that age old version behind, the newest version has so much added and emulation tweaked better it seems a shame not to use it, secondly I'd reset your settings, its the only other things I can imagine to do because you say you are doing exactly like the video (bar save instead of list) so its worth a try, in that version go to a command prompt and type

Altirra /resetall

That will clear the registry settings and I expect an ini file if you made it use one.

Then if you want find the roms, a copy of Xformer has them in and that on Pigwa.

To get the roms sorted go to System, firmware, Firmware images and san, point to where the roms are and they will be auto recognised for the system.

On version 2.90 last few beta's (maybe more) you can go to Tools, Options then settings and reset from within Altirra..