IGNORED

How do I boot from my disk drive??

A2600

Hmmm...

Did you try plugging the SIO cable into the drive's second port?

BTW when the computer detects the drive, it will report a disk error message endlessly if no disk in in the drive...or will begin booting if a formatted disk is in it. If yours is jumping right to the memo pad, it's not being detected at all :(

It's working! I was wondering how you were doing on this.

If you can get the boot error message, it means that at least the drive is being detected. I was hoping that the problem wasn't something involving the port itself.

Anyway, put the game disks aside for a minute...and try to format a disk. Do not use a disk from that bunch of games, but a blank one or something that you don't mind parting with.

Turn the computer and drive off. Turn the computer on first with the Basic cartridge, then turn on the drive. This is backwards from the way you are supposed to do it, but we're testing here!

Anyway, put the expendable disk in the drive and close it's door.

Type this:

POKE768,49:POKE769,1:POKE770,33:POKE771,0:POKE774,255:D=USR(ADR("hLY{INVERSE-d}"))

Don't type it literally...it will look like "hLYd" in those quotes, with a black-on-white letter d. To make the lower-case letters, press the LOWR key...to make them inverse, type the key that has the Atari logo.

Hold your breath, and hit enter. The drive should whirr with a "stepping" noise for a minute or so. If all goes well, no errors should appear in the Rana LED display (does anybody have a list of Rana codes?).

If that worked, your drive is fine...and it's the disks that have the problem.

Hmm...do you know anything about the switches and error codes?

I dunno what else to check (?)

Both my Ranas arrived without instructions and documentation; I should've told Bryan, though, that the panel on the front is pressure-sensitive and that drive options can be chosen by pressing the various panels. :roll:

I've deduced that "39" is the "default" display for the Rana when DSDD mode is selected; it does not necessarily indicate an error message (I think that "14" or "19" does that). Bryan's display readout should begin at "1" when programs are booted, though (cycling upwards as disk sectors are accessed, until the program has loaded completely).

Perhaps, but again, those disks worked when tested in the Rana before shipping. I can only assume that one of the drive's dip switches was (mysteriously) toggled in transit, or perhaps that Bryan hit one of the front panel buttons by mistake when loading the games. I'll have to drag out my other Rana tonight and take a look at it.

The Rana 1000 is density smart. It will check the disk and automatically selects the right 'format' -e.g. density, running speed etc based on the disk you've put in.

On the back of the drive *all four* dip switches should be down if it is being used as a single drive.

FRONT OF DRIVE:

Below is list of switches and error codes. They aren't true switches, press down on each one.

You can check the drive ID by pressing down "unit ID" on the front whilst the drive is turned on. It will then display the drive number on the 2 digit LED display.

Track Switch - press once for continuous display of the track the drive is reading. Push another pad to turn feature off.

Error Switch - push this pad to see a continuous display of error codes in the 2 digit LED display. If no error display will read 00, 40 or 80. Another number indicates a problem.

Here are the common codes:

01 - no disk , door open

04 - hardware fault - drive faulty

08 - faulty disk

0C - disk and hardware fault

10 - faulty disk

14 - hardware and possible disk fault

18 - faulty disk

1C - hardware fault

41 - drive door open

4C - hardware fault

48 - faulty disk detected during write protect diagnostics

44 - hardware fault

81 - door open or disk not formatted properly during write operation

84 - hardware fault

90 - faulty disk

94 - hardware fault and possible faulty disk

98 - faulty disk

9C - hardware fault during write operation

C0 - disk write protected during write operation

I've not gone into detail with the hardware fault errors as if you are getting these as shown above, then your drive needs medical attention.

You have to give Rana credit , not only will the drive tell you that it is faulty, it will also (at the same time) tell you if the inserted disk is likely to be faulty at the same time.

Density - press for a continuous display of current density drive is operiating in.

LO/H1/H2 . H2 is double density 256 x 18 sectors, 176K bytes of storage.

Hope this helps.

No problem, I'll put it all into html and put online and let you know the URL.

You are right with regard to diagnostic tests , this is quite complex to write about which is why I didn't put them here but there isn't anything on the tests that would help apart from to confirm a faulty disk.

The dip switches seem to have some effect n the Disk Drive

Because I tried a different number of combinations to get the drive to work buy yes

It looks like this

I I I I I

I I I I I

1 2 3 4 5

I I I I I

I I I I I

1 2 3 4 5

I set it to this

and it seem to be working right with this setting

and David I got used to the stupid door latch system!

I've deduced that "39" is the "default" display for the Rana when DSDD mode is selected; it does not necessarily indicate an error message (I think that "14" or "19" does that). Bryan's display readout should begin at "1" when programs are booted, though (cycling upwards as disk sectors are accessed, until the program has loaded completely).

The Atari disks have 40 tracks a disk, regardless of being single or double density (that's how many sectors you have per track), the disk drive is showing a 39 because it's showing that it detects a disk with 40 tracks on it, 0-39. It reads the disk as an atari disk format. Sounds like the drive is fine, and if some disks will load and some weren't, it must have been bad copies (bad disks) that weren't reliable enough to hold the games. I tested them all with the 130XE I sent you and an unmodified 1050 drive, and all the games loaded fine, and played, otherwise I re-copied the game onto another disk, but that disk may have not been too good. I'll send new copies when I get some new disks from B&C.

Although those still may work on a 1050 and the Rana is incompitable with some .atr images converted back to atari disk.

Archived