IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

EASTER UPDATE:

We are currently working on the case design and have a preliminary design in mind (very early in the process):

attachicon.gif29852867_1791587040862393_1749851499_n.png

We have changed the feature list a little:

For now we are only doing HDMI video output (directly from the system). This is to reduce costs to those who don't need analog video

SGM support

Added SNES controller port. This will allow the use of the super famicom ntt data controller as well as allow those without a cv controller to play the system with a standard snes controller. (Player 1 only)

Expansion port (not compatible with original expansion modules) that will allow future addons ;)

Power and reset buttons modeled after the joystick of docked controllers see picture above

We are still working to see which cores will be available at launch.

Since 100% of all modern flat panels and projectors has HDMI, then offering only HDMI output makes sense. An external HDMI to composite video adapter costs only $11.99 and it supports NTSC and PAL. An external HDMI to component video adapter only costs $23.99. There are all kinds of external HDMI to analog converters on the market if a consumer needs one for an older display without HDMI. The only problem people run into is game systems that use HDCP 2.2 or 1.4, but I doubt this game system will use any high definition content protection since all the games will be standard definition and not encoded with the HDCP bitstream.

I also like how this game system is going to have a expansion port for possible future add on devices. I like the look of the case with the large push buttons.

If this get a Coleco ADAM core I most likely would purchase several. Maybe I might purchase at least one for ColecoVision games and Supergame module support.

This CollectorVision game system looks awesome. Thanks for all the hard work.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I would like a new style Coleco compatible controller as long as it is better quality than the original. The original 8 directional joystick with two fire buttons and keypad was nice in the sense of being able to store both controllers inside the ColecoVision. However since the CollectorVision game system is smaller and well not have a storage area for controllers, one is not tied down to the original Coleco dimensions. I hope the brand new design well be 100% compatible with existing Coleco game controller overlays.

If 4 fire buttons were used instead of two and if a spinner controller was added, then the new controller would be compatible with the Super Action Controller.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Important suggetions regarding the PS/2 interface

I understand that zero USB ports well be offered on this CollectorVision game system in order to keep the cost lower (However there is an expansion module interface on the system that might allow for a 4 port USB hub to be used in the future. For things like USB keyboard, USB trackball, USB steering wheel, USB 3.5 inch 1.44MB floppy drive, and USB Laser printer).

I noticed that the CollectorVision game system only has one PS/2 interface and not two. I hope the CollectorVision game system will be wired so that a special PS/2 Y splitter can be used so that one can plug in both a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 Logitech marble mosue at the exact same time.

Some older laptops, such as the IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad, the Dell Inspiron 8100, and the Dell Latitude C610, have only a single PS/2 port for using an external keyboard or mouse. However, these ports are wired in such a way to allow the use of both a PS/2 keyboard and a PS/2 mouse at the same time by using a special splitter cable, which re-routes the wires to the proper pins. This adapter cable is designed for this application.”

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=119

Edited by HDTV1080P

I love the specs especially the SGM support, that is a great idea and is going to be greatly appreciated!!

If you are still going to support MSX, then I do hope you go as far to support the MSX2+ variation so we can play the best MSX games like Metal Gear and many others out of the reach of the current hardware.

If there is still an option for analog video, I would prefer to have A/V. SVideo, RGB and HDMI. I think many of us have old analog TV's and love the resolution and scanlines they offer. I also noticed that there is a delay in cold booting games with many system that are retro (Retro Trio HD, etc). That delay can be up to 5 or more seconds, while I realize that is not too bad, but it can be cumbersome, while analog is immediate response. I am afraid of blocky messes of characters going from analog to digital, I know there are filters to help with this but sometimes there is no compromise. There is unfortunately the lag issue, I have the Atari Flashback 8 HD Activision system and I do notice a small controller lag that my HDMI TV has.. Keep in mind you may have to try multiple TV's to find one with either acceptable lag... that is not an issue with analog. I know I would not mind paying more for the options.

Those are mostly minor gripes and I am super happy with system and plan to fully support it when it comes out as I really want to retire my buggy Colecovision and have a reliable way to play all of these great releases from Team Pixelboy, Collectorvision, Leo B., and other devs.

Please keep up the great work!!

It looks really cool. If it plays original cartridges I'll buy several. I really love the original controller and would love to still be able to use it. Can't wait to try it out.

Is it still being designed as a drop in replacement option board as well if I wanted to put it in an original colecovision case?

We're also going to make a brand new controller (DB-9)

We're not talking about re-doing the original stock controller here, it will be a brand new design

The controller is going to have a keypad as well

I was just working on a brand new, never-before-seen-by-anyone-or-used-by-any-other-game-system-I-swear, design for a new ColecoVision controller that has a keypad and all four Super Action Controller Buttons, and it looks like this:

New ColecoVision Controller 2.jpg

I think this would work GREAT, don't you think? ;)

• Like 3

I really like the look of the new Coleco controller above that is 100% compatible with the Super Action Controller design.

However, none of the original Coleco or Coleco Super Action Controller overlays can be used with the above controller. Maybe it is time to get away from game overlays that forces people to make keypads and controllers a certain way. The problem that game controller manufactories also have is that there is not one size Coleco overlay, there is a certain size overlay for the standard Coleco controller and a certain size overlay for the Coleco Super Action Controller. Therefore, if a third party company wants to support both overlays, they are forced to make two different controllers for the ColecoVision/ADAM.

If people could just remember the game button keypad mapping for the game they are playing , then one could use one controller with no overlays needed. What if a future 3rd party game uses 12 different buttons on the keypad for 12 different functions, then one would want to use overlays to help remember all 12 different functions.

One could make a ColeocVision controller like pictured above, but with a slightly different style keypad that would accept a unique new style overlay. Then all the original 80’s ColecoVision games that use overlays would need to be redesigned and remanufactured to fit the new third party ColecoVision controller.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Two things....

I really like the look of the new Coleco controller above that is 100% compatible with the Super Action Controller design.

#1 - It was a joke. That's a Super Nintendo NTT controller. The one Bmack36 was talking about that would work using the SNES port. My suggestion was to just "knock off" that same design for their new controller, because IMO, it's wonderful. I have a ColecoVision Modded one and it is the controller I've been using now for years and I cannot imagine using anything else with the CV as it works so well.

However, none of the original Coleco or Coleco Super Action Controller overlays can be used with the above controller.

#2 - Let's be honest here - How many people are still using overlays??? I can think of only two games that I regularly play that use overlays and that is Mouse Trap and WarGames. (maybe some Spy Hunter as well) And I don't actually use the overlays because not only have I memorized which keys to press because I've been playing those games since the early 80s, but I've also been playing them using the above controller just fine for the past few years without overlays.

I think the overlays are a fun, nostalgic part of the ColecoVision, and I always do appreciate when a homebrewer makes a game that includes them, but really, I find them cool mostly for the nostalgia and not for the practicality. I'd be perfectly fine having a new controller that didn't support the overlays since you're really only talking about a handful of games anyway that I'm sure people regularly play. Unless I'm wrong and there's a ton of people still playing Dr. Suess, Smurf Paint-N-Play, or Cabbage Patch Kids Picture Show, IMO I'm not sure there really is a need to support the overlays in any future controller releases.

• Like 3

I was just working on a brand new, never-before-seen-by-anyone-or-used-by-any-other-game-system-I-swear, design for a new ColecoVision controller that has a keypad and all four Super Action Controller Buttons, and it looks like this:

attachicon.gifNew ColecoVision Controller 2.jpg

I think this would work GREAT, don't you think? ;)

Yes this is the Super Famicom NTT Data Controller. Atariguy1021 usually sells them modded to play on a CV. They are pricey so if you can produce an equivalent at less cost that would be great.

• Like 1

#2 - Let's be honest here - How many people are still using overlays??? I can think of only two games that I regularly play that use overlays and that is Mouse Trap and WarGames. (maybe some Spy Hunter as well) And I don't actually use the overlays because not only have I memorized which keys to press because I've been playing those games since the early 80s, but I've also been playing them using the above controller just fine for the past few years without overlays.

I think the overlays are a fun, nostalgic part of the ColecoVision, and I always do appreciate when a homebrewer makes a game that includes them, but really, I find them cool mostly for the nostalgia and not for the practicality. I'd be perfectly fine having a new controller that didn't support the overlays since you're really only talking about a handful of games anyway that I'm sure people regularly play. Unless I'm wrong and there's a ton of people still playing Dr. Suess, Smurf Paint-N-Play, or Cabbage Patch Kids Picture Show, IMO I'm not sure there really is a need to support the overlays in any future controller releases.

I find an overlay is really necessary for Gateway to Apshai, which is why I created one years ago. It's almost ironic that an official overlay wasn't included with that game. Same goes for Quest for Quintana Roo. As you say, an overlay for Mouse Trap and WarGames is useful as well.

I think pboland could actually design overlays for the NTT controller pictured above. It would be rectangular, with holes precisely carved into it for the buttons. Anyone who owns the CollectorVision console and an NTT pad would surely be interested in such overlays. Just for the heck of it, here's a mockup below of what I'm talking about. :)

post-7743-0-42625600-1522711239.jpg

• Like 4

I find an overlay is really necessary for Gateway to Apshai, which is why I created one years ago. It's almost ironic that an official overlay wasn't included with that game. Same goes for Quest for Quintana Roo. As you say, an overlay for Mouse Trap and WarGames is useful as well.

I think pboland could actually design overlays for the NTT controller pictured above. It would be rectangular, with holes precisely carved into it for the buttons. Anyone who owns the CollectorVision console and an NTT pad would surely be interested in such overlays. Just for the heck of it, here's a mockup below of what I'm talking about. :)

SOLD!!!! :-D

The problem with the Super Famicom NT is there's ALOT of parts wich would make the mold, production very costly

Don't get me wrong, I do like the controller but it would make it just to costly to produce IMO

I don't think anyone would want to end up paying $600 for a new CV HD system and controller(s)
A new controller with keypad similar to the original one would be more cost effective

The problem with the Super Famicom NT is there's ALOT of parts wich would make the mold, production very costly

Don't get me wrong, I do like the controller but it would make it just to costly to produce IMO

I don't think anyone would want to end up paying $600 for a new CV HD system and controller(s)

A new controller with keypad similar to the original one would be more cost effective

Isn't the point of including a Super-NES controller port on your FPGA clone console to plug either a Super-NES controller or an NTT controller? I don't think anyone here was talking about creating brand new controllers shaped like the NTT's. We can just buy existing controllers, presumably on eBay.

Isn't the point of including a Super-NES controller port on your FPGA clone console to plug either a Super-NES controller or an NTT controller? I don't think anyone here was talking about creating brand new controllers shaped like the NTT's. We can just buy existing controllers, presumably on eBay.

Yes it is

I don't think anyone here was talking about creating brand new controllers shaped like the NTT's. We can just buy existing controllers, presumably on eBay.

Actually I was suggesting that. Those SNES NTT controllers are generally about $60 - $100 on eBay and are not that readily available. I was just suggesting my "wish" of having those controllers more mass-produced and made available for everyone, but I understand keeping things cost effective. I'm pretty much excited about whatever the CollectorVision guys come up with as far a controller goes!

Maybe there should be two Super-NES controller ports on the new CollectorVision console if most people prefer that type of controller. Then player 1 and player 2 could both use a Super NES controller.

No, that makes even less sense and your idea just added even MORE cost to the damn thing. Forget about my post above. It was mostly a joke. I'll be perfectly happy using my CV modded SNES NTT controller on the new system or whatever new control pad CollectorVision comes up with.

Also,

There's going to have an exclusive pack-in game included with our system
Uh, should I mention the game is going to be a physical cartridge and not a simple digital game! ;)

Hint, this is the sequel to a well appreciated game we've released, what, a year ago?

Of course we're also going to included a bunch of games digitally installed and ready to play

• Like 3