IGNORED

Svengoolie 7800 game

GeekDragon

I think Svengoolie appeared on Milwaukee TV when Channel 58 WDJT turned into a CBS affiliate and then had Channel 41, a sister station, before the analog to digital conversion. It is actually owned by Weigel Boradcasting which also owns WCIU in Chicago. The only way you can now see Son Of Svengoolie clips are from YouTube.

WCIU is now a national station, so Svengoolie is now a national horror host. He comes every year to the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo and his autograph line is always the longest of the entire con. A few years agomit was actually longer then Stan Lee's line, and that was huge. He's bigger then ever. I've been a fan all my life that's why I would love a copy of the game.

Edited by GeekDragon

I think I saw you at the MGC with your cart. You were way ahead of me in line though. Getting to meet Svengoolie was the highlight of the show for me. He was very nice and very humble. You'd never know he was famous.

I missed the show where he mentioned your game because it was a Laurel and Hardy movie and my wife hates those so we didn't watch. I'm still pissed about that.

I remember watching Svengoolie circa 1999 where he mentioned giving away free Neo Geo Pocket Colors at an upcoming event. I wanted a NGPC sooo bad back then as a near teen, I really wished I could've went to see Svengooli! What a surprise he mentioned NGPC!

WCIU is now a national station, so Svengoolie is now a national horror host. He comes every year to the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo and his autograph line is always the longest of the entire con. A few years agomit was actually longer then Stan Lee's line, and that was huge. He's bigger then ever. I've been a fan all my life that's why I would love a copy of the game.

WCIU is chicago only metv on the other hand is national

Ahh, that's right -- forgot that The Koz Zone was on. (But I'm talking about [Son Of] Svengoolie, so nyaa.

I don't think I ever knew about the evening version of Koz Zone.

there were two koz zones on ch dirty two:

the afternoon one was kids cartoon block hosted by rich

the latenight one which seen after MASH was hosted by rich as well but for a while it was known

as a satellite break in show, or pirate show with rich showing movies having his eyes black barred(he played the tv channel head kryzon as well)

later on it it was known as the koz zone, it eventually ended right after he aired the nut cracker movie.

and for those who don't know full history of sven look up on youtube the song "stop calling him the sun" goes through the whole show history

from jerry g to rich koz in sos days, the shows end on 32 and the start on the U.

Just a small update: I wrote to Rich Koz (aka Svengoolie) via snail mail a few days ago and I also sent a request to the Station Manager of WCIU, METV in Chicago to ask permission to distribute the game. It isn't clear if they'll contact me or not since they must get volumes of mail every day. If they do and agree, then great. I'll make copies. If not, then at least I tried.

I think I saw you at the MGC with your cart. You were way ahead of me in line though. Getting to meet Svengoolie was the highlight of the show for me. He was very nice and very humble. You'd never know he was famous.

I missed the show where he mentioned your game because it was a Laurel and Hardy movie and my wife hates those so we didn't watch. I'm still pissed about that.

Just found the episode on Youtube. Go to 12:40

• Like 1

I think metv owns the name as well, but it was cool you can do that for him,I saw your post about fat axl noticed it said not to use genisis controllers, what if they are used with seagull adapter?

Genesis can do weird things when the console attempts to read the controller in "two button" mode. Essentially the Genesis always outputs high logic on pins 5 (Sega VCC, right button) and 9 (left button, I think) so the 7800 acts as though both buttons are pressed all the time. Pressing the button on the Genesis will pull pin 9 (left button) low momentarily.

Also the "strong" high logic signal on pin 6 will conflict with the output from the B button on the Genesis (Atari Fire) and the Atari 7800 will win this fight. This may stress the Genesis output pin a bit but damage is unlikely. The only two button game IMO that the Genesis is playable is Xevious which basically gives you infinite bullets and bombs.

TL:DR; the Genesis controller will not normally work on dual button 7800 games without an adapter such as the Seagull Adapter.

FYI, you get similar weirdness using a 7800 controller on a Sega Master System. The SMS acts as though the right button is pressed all the time except it is released only when you press both 7800 buttons simultaneously, bridging pin 5 (Sega VCC) to pin 9 (SMS right button). Pressing only the left button on the 7800 acts as a left press for the SMS. In short, Genesis is broken on 7800 in two button mode, and 7800 is broken on SMS. Finally a factory stock direct wired SMS controller acts as a 2600 stick for the left button, and the right button is non-functional.

Just a small update: I wrote to Rich Koz (aka Svengoolie) via snail mail a few days ago and I also sent a request to the Station Manager of WCIU, METV in Chicago to ask permission to distribute the game. It isn't clear if they'll contact me or not since they must get volumes of mail every day. If they do and agree, then great. I'll make copies. If not, then at least I tried.

Good luck on that.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. I don't want vampire lawyers at my doorstep if I just go ahead and make copies. And you probably know about what Wonder Boy in Monster Land is like with a Genesis controller. It won't work properly. Even on the SMS converter for the Genesis. I don't know if the Seagull Adapter fixes that problem.

It's sad that there's so much "red tape" when it comes to making games like this availible for the public. I know there are loopholes, but lawyers could still tie it up in court for who knows how long, so it MAY not be worth the effort. I'm not sure though how the laws would work on something like this. For example, there are tons of "Fan-made" things being bought and sold everyday without repercussions. It seems to me, something like this, should fall under that category. Like I said, I have no idea how the laws work, but if they were to enforce laws on everything "fan-made", the courts would be tied up for eternity. I've made replicas of movie props and stuff and sold them on eBay. Some things, I made quite a few copies of and I never got contacted by anyone telling me to stop. I may have been lucky or it may just be that they don't care as long as you aren't getting rich. I don't know. I guess if they never know you're selling it, you're ok. It's all about "IF". Let's say I made a game based on a Disney Movie and I sold 50 copies with a profit margin of $5 or less, I don't see Disney wasting money to sue me. Sure, I may get one of those cease and desist letters, at which point I would stop selling the game. In order to send me a letter, they would first have to find out about the game, then find out who made it and how to get in touch with them. It just seems like a lot of trouble for something so insignificant. I'm sure they have bigger issues to deal with.. Again, I'm no expert, I have no law degree, and I don't even PLAY a Doctor on TV. I'm just sharing my opinion, no matter how incorrect it may be. :P

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. I don't want vampire lawyers at my doorstep if I just go ahead and make copies. And you probably know about what Wonder Boy in Monster Land is like with a Genesis controller. It won't work properly. Even on the SMS converter for the Genesis. I don't know if the Seagull Adapter fixes that problem.

If major hollywood studios, several major software developers etc., can get hacked. So can a homebrewer.

hope you do get green lighted for the carts, would be cool to have if not you can prob just release the rom for free and if and when the 7800 sd cart come out pleople can play on real system then on a emu.

I have Seagull adpaters for my 7800 and have no problems with 2 button games like pole position 2 or xevious

I have an etsy shop where i'm selling prints of paintings and other art I have done of the Universal Monsters, Star Wars, Halo, and the 3 Stooges for like 4 years now and have never been contacted with a cease letter. There's a ton of stuff like mine on etsy. Now, I'm not saying to make copies of your game and just start selling them, I'm just mentioning what I see. I have also seen 20th century fox go after web sites where you could download Simpsons sound bites FOR FREE and shut them down, so you never know. I also go to comic conventions and see, in artist alley, artists selling prints of Marvel and DC characters, who do not work for either company and I'm sure do not have permission, with both companies having a presence there and nothing happens to them. So, you just don't know. Again, this is just what I've seen in the 32 years I've been collecting a little bit of everything. If you feel you should get permission, then by all means, get permission. Good things come to those who wait and I'm willing to wait. If you do not get permission, yeah it will be disappointing, but I totally understand and would not want you to get you into any type of legal trouble over a Atari 7800 game. If I ever get a cease letter, then yeah, I would pull the prints in question. Just my .02

BTW go to www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart. I know, shameless plug.

I did a quick search and sure enough, Svengoolie is trademarked so I'm going to have to get permission from them. http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:l6m90.2.2

I did get the usual default form letter from WCIU in which they have lots of mail and they can't reach everyone personally.