Photo

TurboBasic XL v1.5 MADS source (disassembly)

TURBO-BASIC TURBO-BASIC XL Source Code disassembly

34 replies to this topic

#26 JAC! OFFLINE  

JAC!

Stargunner

• 1,813 posts
  • Always looking for GFX and MSX for my demos

Posted Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:04 AM

Wow! Tested it with 1.4. also and you're right.

I was 100% sure I had that problem and programmed "around it" for years.

And I always wondered why still most program run (well, hard program use the feature to return values from ML).

It is even mentioned in the 2nd revision of the "Turbo Basic Handbuch" (German, ABBUC).

I'll make sure it'll be removed from the 3rd revision, in case one is released.

#27 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,328 posts

Posted Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:51 AM

I found that returning values via USR worked in the interpreter, but was broken in compiled programs.

#28 pirx OFFLINE  

pirx

Moonsweeper

• 448 posts

Posted Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:36 AM

ditto

#29 erichenneke OFFLINE  

erichenneke

Moonsweeper

• 407 posts

Posted Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 PM

I found that returning values via USR worked in the interpreter, but was broken in compiled programs.

yep, exactly.  

#30 peteym5 OFFLINE  

peteym5

River Patroller

• 2,378 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:50 PM

It will be an issue with the compiler and that run time program. Turbo Basic Interpreter is what I have the source for.

#31 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,828 posts
  • Call my BBS! telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:58 PM

I ran into that one as well.  Is the bug in the compiler, runtime or both?

#32 mechanerd OFFLINE  

mechanerd

Star Raider

• 96 posts

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:18 AM

Is there a version of Turbo Basic XL with the fixes compiled and ready to run?  I could use the runtime for the old copy of the Action Annex BBS written in BASIC XL. I really want to run the actual hardware and not the emulator.  Eventually I want to migrate to Altirra. 
I came across a Happy Computer 1.5 Turbo Basic by Ostrowski but it dumps the BBS code .  I don't have the actual cartridge anymore for plain Turbo Basic XL or Basic XL.

It's been a very long time since I compiled 6502 ASM. I could dust off the Macro Assembler.

I'll trade you the Midi Music System source code I came across. I need to contact the author and see if it's freeware or abandonware, or ??

Edited by mechanerd, Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:19 AM.

#33 dmsc OFFLINE  

dmsc

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 478 posts

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:43 AM

Hi!

Is there a version of Turbo Basic XL with the fixes compiled and ready to run?  I could use the runtime for the old copy of the Action Annex BBS written in BASIC XL. I really want to run the actual hardware and not the emulator.  Eventually I want to migrate to Altirra. 
I came across a Happy Computer 1.5 Turbo Basic by Ostrowski but it dumps the BBS code .  I don't have the actual cartridge anymore for plain Turbo Basic XL or Basic XL.
It's been a very long time since I compiled 6502 ASM. I could dust off the Macro Assembler.

I'll trade you the Midi Music System source code I came across. I need to contact the author and see if it's freeware or abandonware, or ??

Current version of the disassembled sources is at https://github.com/dmsc/turbo-dis

Attached is the resulting ATR with original and bugfixed interpreters.

Attached Files

#34 mechanerd OFFLINE  

mechanerd

Star Raider

• 96 posts

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:02 PM

Hi!

Current version of the disassembled sources is at https://github.com/dmsc/turbo-dis

Attached is the resulting ATR with original and bugfixed interpreters.

Thanks! Will let you know if this fixes the issue,,,

#35 peteym5 OFFLINE  

peteym5

River Patroller

• 2,378 posts

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:13 PM

I looked over what people are considering a bug in Turbo Basic, and I quickly noticed that that those pieces of source code is something most people will not do when making a basic program. However I do recall there was an issue with a compile program not handling variable arrays properly.  I had not a chance to mess around with this since the summer. Have other major priorities going on. It would be difficult to optimize anything further without sacrificing speed. 

My ideal to get around the SpartaDos compatibility issue is to use the first extended memory bank on a 130XE, but others came out and said, why don't we use the other 48K to store the program. Something I myself will not mess around with. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TURBO-BASIC, TURBO-BASIC XL, Source Code, disassembly

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users