IGNORED

2600 light 6er keeps reseting

machrcode

when you turn it on the game just keeps reseting ( i had donkey kong in it) I had buffer chips on hand and replaced it but no change if you hold the reset button down it stops but you can not play any ideas I have not swapped anything else but have spare chips on hand any help would be appreciated, Nick

I'm not sure because I haven't had experience with that particular issue. But C227 I'm thinking may could have possibly failed open causing the reset input to float and behave erratically.

EDIT:

If you can try swapping C225 and C227 and see if you notice any change.

Oh, and I would try a different cartridge first too if you can get a hold of one.

Edited by SignGuy81

Open it up and clean the bejesus out of the reset switch with electrical contact cleaner. Inspect the traces along the switch board to the ribbon cable, then inspect the cable for obviously broken or shorted wires. Finally, consider replacing IC's. I think the 6532 RIOT chip handles console switches but I'd have to look at the schematics to confirm.

Open it up and clean the bejesus out of the reset switch with electrical contact cleaner. Inspect the traces along the switch board to the ribbon cable, then inspect the cable for obviously broken or shorted wires. Finally, consider replacing IC's. I think the 6532 RIOT chip handles console switches but I'd have to look at the schematics to confirm.

I second all of that, and yes you are correct about the RIOT chip. To OP that cap I mentioned earlier C227 I forgot to mention the first time also check the solder joints on each side of the cap too cause that could also cause an open and make the input float if you have cracked solder joints there. If so try reflowing those joints first before swapping caps like I first mentioned.

Edited by SignGuy81

Voltage 6.3 swapped the riot chip took the reset button off swapped c227 c225 nothing worked I might give up? any other thoughts

that is too high voltage at the 7805. You are checking the 3rd pin right? You may need to replace the regulator.

Edited by SignGuy81

Yeah that's too high. You should be getting between about 4.95 and 5.05 V if the regulator is within spec. Good news is it's a cheap and easy fix. Bad news is it's inconvenient to order one 7805. Buy a bag of 10-20 of them and keep them handy as long as you own old Ataris.

• Like 1