IGNORED

Atari 2600 4 Switch - wavy lines and sound.

New Horizon

Also want to double check you are getting a solid screen right, with just some waviness in it? You aren't actually seeing any part of the game when you put in carts right? That is kinda the way I was taking it when you mentioned same as no cart.

That's right. No parts of the game, just waviness or sometimes solid with weird noises like you would expect with no game inserted.

Another thing I would look at closely is the pins on the cart connector, make sure none are bent or anything and it looks like they should make good contact and that they are clean. let me know if changing the TIA does anything

No, changing the TIA just goes back to the original behavior of the system. Before I swapped in the TIA from an old Atari JR, all I got was a black screen with no sound. The TIA from the JR is definitely a step closer.

Well, I'll be. It's working. :) I de-soldered the 6507 from one of my non-working Atari JR's, popped it into the 4 switcher, and the first game I tried worked!!! Thanks for helping out and pointing me in the right direction. Composite mod looks pretty good, not as crisp as SVIDEO or RGB but the colours are nice and rich.