IGNORED

Official Custom Controller Thread

Do we have one of these yet? A lot of us like to make controllers. Thought I'd start a thread about it.

Here's my New Asteroids Controller. It's sort of a remake of one I made as a kid but with better parts now.

A remake of my Defender controller is in the works.

I'm also going to mod a SNES controller so I can plug my Atari compatible controllers into it. I've done that with a Dreamcast controller.

Pack of 10 buttons $7

Box $4 (about 5 in wide, perfect for either playing on a surface or holding it in your hand)

Cord from an old Broken CX-40

Printed the marquee on some plasticized label paper made for labeling chemical drums.

med_gallery_3653_1328_592118.png

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 6

Yeah, there's a homemade joystick page on the classic computer section of this forum. Still, this is a bit different. I think there was a third party controller kind of like this from a company called Starplex, but I have a feeling yours is more responsive. Looks nicer, too.

Personally, I made a dial controller using a VCR head and a laser mouse, but alas, it stopped working properly. Now I'll have to get another mouse and do it all over again. Bah! The things I do for this hobby!

Hey, very nice! I had a similar idea and built a few of these not too long ago:

fab43877-6a92-427f-9153-3e7df644180d.jpg

I sold that one, but also made another where the "warp" button (blue) is dead center under thrust (green) and fire (red). I actually like that a LOT better as it is far easier to actually use warp.

I am actually working on a full size arcade 7800 arcade stick with a starplex set up built into the middle right now.

• Like 4

I'm kind of shocked that people use warp in Asteroids and the like. Half the time I use hyperspace, it drops me right onto a rock. Thanks for nothin', jerks.

Anyway! I could probably make the modern equivalent of the Starplex controller, the HitBox. It's designed for fighting games, but replaces the joystick with a handful of oddly placed buttons. I don't get it, honestly, but people seem to like it well enough!

Where are you guys sourcing your buttons, anyway?

• Like 1

I have a starplex ebay watch, but they always want more than I'm willing to spend. They look a bit flimsy too--a custom would certainly solve that.

Mine's more of a referb/conversion of the world's worst psx controller, into a neo geo conversation piece.

I didn't go with the usual scantily-clad anime girl theme that many do these days. Seemed gay. Nothing less gay than a dudestick, though, amirite?

A suave, handsome dude, who oils up his throbbing, veiny muscles in the cool evening breezes of summer.

A dude who, incidentally, didn't sell out his best friend, but rather tried to save an entire city in the clouds for the low, low cost of 'some space farmer.'

A dude who has responsibilities now, and a passion for classy malt beverages.

Lando makes the tough decisions.

huh, where was I?

Dm1mdQMm.jpg

Referb before/afters:

I have kind of strong opinions about button feel, and went with IL-convex units and cherry switches. I like to feel exactly when the switch engages, so I don't have to beat on the thing like I do with japanese buttons. Stick is an IL eurostick with cherry switches. I like the shape and heavy spring--besides, I don't really have a choice if I want to match the color of the buttons.

Fun fact, that awful blue grid pattern was actually painted directly on the back of the clear plexy and was a pain to get off.

There were two spots along the bottom where glue(!?) melted the plastic, and the paint couldn't be removed.

This really was the worst psx controller ever.

5mfJMfJm.jpg lPgeSpFm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 5

I have a starplex ebay watch, but they always want more than I'm willing to spend. They look a bit flimsy too--a custom would certainly solve that.

Mine's more of a referb/conversion of the world's worst psx controller, into a neo geo conversation piece.

I didn't go with the usual scantily-clad anime girl theme that many do these days. Seemed gay. Nothing less gay than a dudestick, though, amirite?

A suave, handsome dude, who oils up his throbbing, veiny muscles in the cool evening breezes of summer.

A dude who, incidentally, didn't sell out his best friend, but rather tried to save an entire city in the clouds for the low, low cost of 'some space farmer.'

huh, where was I?

Dm1mdQMm.jpg

I have kind of strong opinions about button feel, and went with IL-convex units and cherry switches. I like to feel exactly when the switch engages, so I don't have to beat on the thing like I do with japanese buttons. Stick is an IL eurostick with cherry switches. I like the shape and heavy spring--besides, I don't really have a choice if I want to match the color of the buttons.

10/10 - that THE best joystick I've seen.icon_mrgreen.gif

Also the wiring you did looked WAY better than the original.

I'm trying to find someway that's reasonably priced to make a 5200 joy stick with pots.

So far, progress is slow.

Edited by H454
  • Like 1

For arcade buttons, Suzo-Happ. I think you can get them on amazon and ebay now. The little red ones on my asteroids controller are from amazon.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01765VRV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They are about 1/2". Actually 20 for $10. I got smaller ones also, like the one on my CX-40 7800 mod.

gallery_3653_1328_1000419.jpg||

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUHBV40/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Zonie

huh, where was I?

Dm1mdQMm.jpg

Referb before/afters:

Fun fact, that awful blue grid pattern was actually painted directly on the back of the clear plexy and was a pain to get off.

There were two spots along the bottom where glue(!?) melted the plastic, and the paint couldn't be removed.

This really was the worst psx controller ever.

5mfJMfJm.jpg lPgeSpFm.jpg

So you're the Colt 45 controller guy? Wow, that thing is legend. I've seen it pop up around other forums, particularly Cheap Ass Gamer. I... honestly wouldn't have thought about putting Billy Dee Williams on a joystick, but hey, whatever works!

I had a Red Octane joystick; one of the later models for the PS2, with the black case and red buttons. It wasn't as terrible as you're describing this one to be, but it felt a little less than arcade perfect. Also, the edge of the plexiglass needed to be sanded down. IGN wasn't kidding in its review... those damned edges really will do some mischief to your wrists if you let them.

• Like 1

Where are you guys sourcing your buttons, anyway?

Now, I order the cheapest of the cheap generics, either from eBay or alibaba:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252619958151?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=551528827283&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've used Sanwas etc and all feel far too "light" in their activation. These cheap-os are clicky and a bit stiff, but break in after a bit, and to me feel far more like a button I'd expect to find on an old arcade cabinet.

My Zaxxon Arcade CPanel modded to support 2600, PS1/PS2, PC PS2 Keyboard and Spinner PS/2 Mouse. I even threw in a coin reject release tied to a limit switch in the front. Note the main button colors match the Playstation Duel Shock. Utilizing a Sony controller PCB mod the best choice due to so many adapters available for other consoles.

Arcade Controller Mod Guide: Home System Adaption - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=292282#p292282

Arcade Spinner Mod: Tempest Inexpensive Method - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353752#p353752

post-27490-129367814042.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 3

So you're the Colt 45 controller guy? Wow, that thing is legend. I've seen it pop up around other forums, particularly Cheap Ass Gamer. I... honestly wouldn't have thought about putting Billy Dee Williams on a joystick, but hey, whatever works!

Really? I had no idea it was making the rounds. I've posted it here and neo-geo.com.

Its build is spread over the official neo geo thread, but I probably owe it to myself to gather them together:

Edited by Reaperman

I'm a little perplexed that you insisted on using the original plexiglass that came with the joystick. Seems like you could have thrown it out and started anew with Lexan, rather than trying to clean off the original artwork. Lexan is supposed to be really flexible for projects like these, letting you drill through it without cracking the way plexiglass would. Or so I'm told.

Anyway. What would you guys recommend for custom art? I assume the Asteroids controller has a sticker or something on it, but how would you make that? Right now I'm thinking of using printed card stock sealed under the aforementioned polycarbonate. If there's any reason I should do something else, I'd love to know.

I went for an adhesive vinyl print from a local photography shop, but I'd imagine the same product is available at sign printers too. The stuff they used even had a little texture/grain to it, to resist fingerprints, etc. It's thinner, more flexible, and easier to cut than photo paper. I just pressed it onto the stick, forced it into the corners with a flat object and trimmed it using the edges/corners as a guide with a bare razor blade. Way easier than that could have gone. It was designed resist fading and sun damage--actually the demo of it that they showed me was stuck directly to the back door of the building--tough stuff. I will certainly keep using it in the future.

The reason I recycled the stock plexiglass is largely that I'm a condo dweller, and lack a shop of any kind. Meaning I don't have a drill press to punch accurate holes. It's also got edges that aren't 90 degrees, so I couldn't rely entirely on the cutters found at the box stores. Not having a shop is also why I was going for donor sticks in the first place, vs building my own case, which I'd much rather have done. I've never dealt with thick lexan (just thin rc bodies, etc), but I would have wanted it thick, as the stick was clearly designed with a specific thickness in mind.

Edited by Reaperman

Building a custom 5200 controller, waiting for the parts to show up. It will be a Masterplay clone with built in keypad and top 3 button and work with SMS and genesis controllers. I can't play Pitfall 2 with the POS analog controller so I need digital hack.

Do we have one of these yet? A lot of us like to make controllers. Thought I'd start a thread about it.

Here's my New Asteroids Controller. It's sort of a remake of one I made as a kid but with better parts now.

A remake of my Defender controller is in the works.

I'm also going to mod a SNES controller so I can plug my Atari compatible controllers into it. I've done that with a Dreamcast controller.

Pack of 10 buttons $7

Box $4 (about 5 in wide, perfect for either playing on a surface or holding it in your hand)

Cord from an old Broken CX-40

Printed the marquee on some plasticized label paper made for labeling chemical drums.

med_gallery_3653_1328_592118.png

Where do you buy these boxes, or do you have a super-shop??

Here's my Starplex, with built in turbo:

post-33189-0-52227400-1472530062.jpg

And some video footage of it working (skip to 6:38):

It's great for playing Space Rocks and Star Castle! :grin:

Be sure to also check out the Homebrew Joystick thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223203-do-you-use-a-homebrew-joystick-post-your-pics/

• Like 1

For an arcade stick like a Happs? 10-32 x 3/4 with locknuts and some flat washers should do the trick for a cigar box. longer if you are using thicker plywood. Use flat heads and countersink the holes in the board so you have a flat surface to put a label over it.

I have had some nintendo sticks that had threaded studs on them that were probably M4's...

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 2