IGNORED

NES Blinking Light Win is AWESOME!

scotty

Not a commercial, not a paid ad, just a happy as can be customer. None of my NES carts were working. Took unit appart, cleaned the contacts with all kinds of cleaners suggested on net. Nothing work. Saw BLW, ordered it, and in a few days it arrived. 10 minutes from start to finish, very easy to install. Basically turns your classic NES into a NES top loader. Yes, it is still a front load, but push cart in, it makes contact, and that is it. No more pushing it down like in the past. I thought my NES was toast, as NOTHING would read. Now everything works fine. Allegedly disables lockout chip, but I can not verify this yet. I will have an EverCart, and will report back on results at a later time. Is it more expensive than a replacement NES tray? Yes? By much? No/ Who knoes, maybe next time you need to replace the NES tray again, there will not be any more available on the market. BLW fixes the problem for good. Highly recommended.

https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw

• Like 2

Allegedly disables lockout chip, but I can not verify this yet.

https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw

If you turn it on with no cart in and the power light blinks then your answer would be no.

Just looked at the website answer is no. It is just a 72 pin connector so if that is all you replaced then no. You have to disable the chip. It is pin 4 of the lockout chip that needs to be clipped and tied to ground(a lot of people just clip them though). If it wasn't in any instructions to do that and all you did was put the connector on then no you didn't disable the lockout.

EDIT:

My bad I was wrong. The website said it was a new 72 pin connector that I clicked on with your link. However after watching a review below it is more than just a new connector it has a PCB and it does have lockout disable built in apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP8Gvq7-Iz

Edited by SignGuy81

If you turn it on with no cart in and the power light blinks then your answer would be no.

Just looked at the website answer is no. It is just a 72 pin connector so if that is all you replaced then no. You have to disable the chip. It is pin 4 of the lockout chip that needs to be clipped and tied to ground(a lot of people just clip them though). If it wasn't in any instructions to do that and all you did was put the connector on then no you didn't disable the lockout.

Question: I assume it does, but does this also work on a PAL NES?
By hyperrobin on June 14th, 2016
Answer: Yes, this repair part is also an adapter in the sense that once you install it, your Original Nintendo becomes "Region Free". So yes, it will work fine on your PAL Original NES System.
Click on "Question?" 4th answer down.
Also from their Kickstarter page....

*** STRETCH GOALS ***

We know these additions are a little late to the party but we wanted to make sure our homework and due-diligence was done. Our first priority was making sure that anything that comes promised with the stretch goals can be delivered in tandem with the original project. Delaying the delivery date of the Blinking Light Win because of problems on delivering the stretch goals is unacceptable in our book. There aren't many but we felt these goals contributed most to getting people back into 8-bit goodness. And now for the knitty-gritty.

- $30,000 : We're already almost there so lets power through it. This stretch goal adds functionality to the Blinking Light Win itself. We will be integrating a multi-region lockout chip to every Blinking Light Win so that systems will now be effectively region-free as well as make unlicensed titles playable on all systems. NTSC games will now work on PAL systems and vice-versa. And now PAL users are now free to play games from any region in Europe. This however, does not fix any 50/60hz speed issues when playing games from other territories. What this does is allow the games to boot by bypassing the region lockouts.

- $40,00 : This stretch goal puts into production a newly designed famicom to NES adapter. This new adapter will compatible with BLW-enabled systems as well as top loading NES systems. Tall case Famicom games like those made by Koei will not be an issue any more. Production would start at the same time as the Blinking Light Win so they will be available when the first shipment goes out. The design of the adapter is still under development so feel free to make suggestions in the comments. We'll be making progress updates in the comments section so keep your eyes peeled for new developments.

Note:

$44,082
pledged of $15,000 goal
backers
Edited by scotty

Yeah it seems pretty cool, the cart does fit tight according to GameTechs review. Does yours fit that tight? I mod with new 72 pin connector and don't like how tight those are and hard to pull out.

I would rather a mod just like the one you got but where the cart sticks out a couple inches so it is easier to pull out. Also i would rather them not do the unnecessary lockout disable mod on the PCB. That is just extra money when it is so easy to just disable the lockout chip yourself while you have the NES apart.

I have one of these installed in my NES and I love it as well. Having said that, the carts can be a royal pain to pull out of the console with the BLW in place. But it was advised that you leave a cart in it to work the pins lose over time. Since I have a Power Pak, I just leave it permanently in the NES all the time. As for the lockout, I believe it does the lockout while still retaining the ability to use a NWC cart. I do know that when you first turn on the NES with a game inserted into it after installation, you will get a grey screen again at first. Then on the next power cycle it resets the chip in the BLW and is then region coded for the game you have inserted. So basically, the lockout disable only goes active, when it detects a non NTSC cart inserted into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using a Game Genie with their BLW? I'm hesitant to install my BLW because I've found almost all games work well (for me) when using a Game Genie, which looks to have a pretty thick PCB and makes really good contact with the original 72-pin connector.

You know what would be really nice? A BLW with a Game Genie built in (and the ability to be deactivate it if desired).

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried using a Game Genie with their BLW? I'm hesitant to install my BLW because I've found almost all games work well (for me) when using a Game Genie, which looks to have a pretty thick PCB and makes really good contact with the original 72-pin connector.

You know what would be really nice? A BLW with a Game Genie built in (and the ability to be deactivate it if desired).

I actually heard that that would be the perfect solution to the problem with a tight cartridge with little real estate to grab it. Two problems.

1) The original Game genie will NOT fit in the Blinking Light Win. This is due to the bulge on top of the Game Genie, when you consider it was designed with an inclined cartridge bay of the original. I didn’t want to damage the original Game Genie.

Luckily found a Game Genie without the plastic flap.

2) The one without the plastic slap doesn’t fit right in the Blinking Light win. I don’t wknow whehter it;’s hard to keep the dual cartirdge straight or whether the Game Genie will not grip right wwitht eh Blinking Light win.

I guess I can try putting in a Game Genie and insert and remove the cartridge externally from the BLW. Ir amke he Game Genie a more permanent addition to the BLW.

Any idea what kind of turnaround time I should expect with these? I ordered 2 on April 7, got the message from PayPal that the shipping label was created on April 18, and it's still showing as "USPS is awaiting item" today.

Mine only took about a week to arrive after I received the shipping notification. Sometimes you'll get a "USPS is awaiting item" message when the item is actually shipped using another carrier (like UPS or Fedex) and they just drop it off at the post office.

Mine only took about a week to arrive after I received the shipping notification. Sometimes you'll get a "USPS is awaiting item" message when the item is actually shipped using another carrier (like UPS or Fedex) and they just drop it off at the post office.

Yeah, USPS tracking kinda blows hard. But in this case, they just didn't ship it. My order arrived today, so YAY to that, but they didn't actually hand it off to USPS until I emailed asking what's the deal. Emailed on 04/30, USPS received it on 05/01, got here today. Total turnaround time ended up being 26 days.

Edited by malrak

• 1 year later...

Hello

i have a modded nes for rgb. 

i didnt realize i had a blinking light win installed. I wondered why the games were so hard to get in and out. 

but i just watched a video on the blinking light win. I didnt realize you dont push the cart down. 

my question is: 

i was pushing the cart down on my blinking light win. I wonder if i did permanent damage? 

i hope you understand my question. I pushed the cart in, and then pushed it down like a normal nes? Did i do permanent damage? Obviously i wont do this now. 

any help info would be appreciated