IGNORED

How Can I Restore A Really Nasty RF Shield?

DavidMil

Any ideas about restoring an RF shield that has a crust of black with some small rust spots on it?

Funny, but the underside looks nice and shiny. I really don't want to use sand paper unless I have to.

And yes, this is on that 1200XL I bought recently.

DavidMil

Salt and vinegar just promotes more rust in steel.

There's a treatment chemical for cars that turns corrosion back to normal iron but you end up with a rough surface that's intended to be sanded back anyway.

The best fix is probably steel wool or wet & dry sandpaper with water. If it's the inside then you're not going to see it anyway.

Barkeepers Friend, rinse dry, isopropyl alcohol rinse, dry, and Flitz or other metal polish.... there are others you can find used on automotive steel that work well....

gun solvent ... so many things will work.... but always rinse dry, isopropyl alcohol, dry and polish to protect at end of process.... hears a wikihow page of things people do...

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Rust-from-Metal

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Thank you all for the tips. I like the idea of seltzer water and fine steal wool to give a good finish to a tarnished surface. I'll try that first,

then go to harsher stuff if that doesn't work. Of course if all else fails I can order a new RF shield from Best for $9.00. I'll let you know

how this turns out.

DavidMil

Well, as much as I like restoring any old thing to its original condition, none of my "working systems" have RF shields, by and large. Nobody's broadcasting NTSC analog anymore so not much worry about an FCC complaint from the neighbors. It also makes it a lot easier to fit mods inside the cases. :)

Well, as much as I like restoring any old thing to its original condition, none of my "working systems" have RF shields, by and large. Nobody's broadcasting NTSC analog anymore so not much worry about an FCC complaint from the neighbors. It also makes it a lot easier to fit mods inside the cases. :)

ATSC broadcasts in the same frequencies as NTSC so would be just a sceptible to interference. Just because we've gone digital doesn't change that. Not that chances of interference are high.

ATSC broadcasts in the same frequencies as NTSC so would be just a sceptible to interference. Just because we've gone digital doesn't change that. Not that chances of interference are high.

Of course. However - and this is important - ATSC uses error correction so a few missed bits here and there won’t ruin the image, unlike for example the terrible fuzz and waviness you will get from an analog RF signal. :)

Of course. However - and this is important - ATSC uses error correction so a few missed bits here and there won’t ruin the image, unlike for example the terrible fuzz and waviness you will get from an analog RF signal. :)

That only makes it more robust to interference, not immune. I've seen it in action since I've done some tinkering with mixing antenna and internal RF feeds on the same coax inside my house. Again though, its splitting hairs because the likelihood of messing up your neighbors signal with something like the lack of RF shield in a game console was pretty minimal even on NTSC.

A lot of guys in the arcade world have used vinegar to remove rust from metal parts without having to sand them. I've seen people use it on Pinball machine legs since they are silver colored and polished so you don't want to sand them. I've used it on metal hardware from an arcade cabinet that was allowed to sit out in the elements and get rusty. I just put the parts in a container, filled it with vinegar and soaked them for a day or two. The vinegar will eat away the rust leaving the non-rusted parts. Fair warning though, on items that were rusted all the way through it will eat all that rust and leave a pit or hole. A transparent lacquer like nanochess suggested might be a good idea afterwards because I think they are susceptible to rusting more after the process.

Edited by Mitkraft
  • Like 2

If you want to go all the way... watch a few of these or some of the others on the right hand side till your comfortable with it...

if going long and shallow make sure to spread the conductors on each end...

Electroplating is easy...it should be in the restoration stickies as far as I'm concerned

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

My brother suggested Q/M remove, that used to work very well on brass. I also have a can of spray-on lacquer I've been planning

on using. Would polyurethane work on the metal as a protective barrier also?

I'm not worried about interference, it's more of an Atari purest restoration thing.

David Milsop

inside the 800xl and the 130XE the zinc coating is there not just to protect but to allow contact with the keyboard and cartridge ports doors... paint prevents that....as will lacquers and urethane.... as a purist.. just plate it... for sh*ts and giggles we used to take pennies and plate them silver in school.... so remove the rust do the rinses and then plate.. no muss no fuss....not going to plate.. polish still protect and wears easily to a degree still allowing some contact

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thank you all for the tips. I like the idea of seltzer water and fine steal wool to give a good finish to a tarnished surface. I'll try that first,

then go to harsher stuff if that doesn't work. Of course if all else fails I can order a new RF shield from Best for $9.00. I'll let you know

how this turns out.

DavidMil

The seltzer water didn't do a thing. If anything it made it blacker. I like the idea of electroplating but I'm too cheap to

spend that much money until I've tried every thing else (besides, I'm saving up for a 3D scanner), So next is the vinegar treatments...

DavidMil

the little plate that goes around the joystick ports on my 400 was completely rusted over, like a day and a half in plain old vinegar, light sanding and a light polish later pretty much got it back to dull metal, which since I dont have a buffing wheel I primed and painted over, which if I did that in the first place it would have looked like rusty metal with paint instead of just metal and paint

The seltzer water didn't do a thing. If anything it made it blacker. I like the idea of electroplating but I'm too cheap to

spend that much money until I've tried every thing else (besides, I'm saving up for a 3D scanner), So next is the vinegar treatments...

DavidMil

Vinegar didn't do much either so I've ordered so sodium carbonate (not bicarbonate) in the form of 'Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda'.

At $14.00 including tax and shipping, that's right down my alley. A 1.5 volt battery and some clean water in a plastic jar is all that is required

to clean rust and black corrosion from metal. At least it worked in the U-Tube video. If this works I will certainly post before and after pictures.

David

Well the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda remove all the rust. The problem is that where there was rust now there is just a black

spot on the shielding. I guess I have to nickel plate after all (I was trying to avoid that). Anyway, I've attached before and after pictures

of the first RF shield that I tested.

DavidMil

post-47264-0-59608300-1498711137_thumb.jpg

post-47264-0-72588600-1498711152_thumb.jpg

Edited by DavidMil

Some elbow grease with steel wool might improve things, very fine steel wool acts like polish.

Rustoleum and Krylon both make a brushed nickel metallic spray paint, Rustoleum has a satin finish as well.

There are others, but these are the ones that come up most in google.

Some elbow grease with steel wool might improve things, very fine steel wool acts like polish.

Rustoleum and Krylon both make a brushed nickel metallic spray paint, Rustoleum has a satin finish as well.

There are others, but these are the ones that come up most in google.

The paint will make it look better, but a loss of heat dissipation. As mentioned to OP earlier since the shield is not visible, why all the cleaning with risk of removing more of the zinc coating off the steel? Just a quick wipe with alcohol the best "solution".

Was on the same boat a few years ago... Machine brushing / sanding is the only way to come close to original finish.

Therefore, I decided to buy them "new" from Best Electronics... lot of time and effort saved.

Here, WITH Ultimate installed... Shields in place, and clean.

http://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-29379-0-97724100-1336748581.jpg

http://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-29379-0-97724100-1336748581.jpg