IGNORED

Intro & Atari ST used as scientific equipment

Hello all,

First a short intro: I've been hitting this forum from time to time, sometimes through random web searches, sometimes just to check out what's up. Not often though since -to be honest- my interests lie more with Z80 based machines, specifically ZX81 / ZX Spectrum and MSX. But I do have a pair of 2600's sitting here... icon_winking.gif Some of you may know me as "RetroTechie" from one of those other forums. I'm mostly into the hardware side of things - repairs, various mods, power supply issues etc. Also known for doing a ZX81 ULA implementation in a CPLD. These days mostly just sharing technical tidbits rather than actual work on hardware. Or when someone needs help with (Z80) assembly coding etc.

Anyway this forum seems to have a nice community & a nice spread of subjects. Yesterday I came across a funny find in a YouTube video, and it seemed like a good opportunity to sign up. Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0lBwR5Nle0

Around the 12:30 mark, that looks like an Atari 1040ST ? Used to process some scientific data? icon_surprised.gif Thought it was a nice find & worthy of sharing with you guys...

• Like 2

In those times (before absolute PC domination, to say so) Atari ST was used for lot of serious stuff. We have even forum threads about Atari computers appearance in movies, serials.

Myself made around 1992 interface on parallel port for driving LED dot graphical display with Atari ST. And SW for it, of course. Did some fancy 3D stuff for it with Cyber Studio and converted to 1 bpp.

• 5 weeks later...

I think the guy using the ST in the video is Prof. Dr. Bernd Zimanowski (see him doing the same volcano tube thing here and here, profile photo and more info here). He is German and has publications going back to 1984 so it's possible that he developed some custom ST software/interface in the 80s/90s that still works and was never worth updating.

Edited by galax