IGNORED

Does the Harmony Encore have a built in Savekey?

RamrodHare

My early morning search isn't turning up much info on Savekeys for the 2600, but I did find what I though might have been a reference to the Harmony having something like this built in. I know at one time CPUWIZ was selling Savekeys, but I missed out on it by quite a few years. I'd like to be able to save my high scores (or game progress), so if anyone can fill me in on the Harmony Encore having this feature or where I can either buy a savekey, I'd really appreciate it. From what I've managed to find out, it seems it isn't a big deal to throw one together out of off the shelf parts, so info on that could be useful as well. :-D

No, the Savekey plugs into a joystick port (the ports are bidirectional). The Harmony Encore doesn't even see communication meant for the SaveKey, so it can't implement support for it.

Get the AtariVox+. The Savekey just implements the AtariVox' high score save feature without including the speech synthesizer.

No, the Savekey plugs into a joystick port (the ports are bidirectional). The Harmony Encore doesn't even see communication meant for the SaveKey, so it can't implement support for it.

Get the AtariVox+. The Savekey just implements the AtariVox' high score save feature without including the speech synthesizer.

I knew the savekey plugged into the joystick port, but I had read in old threads that Fred had worked on saves with the Harmony. I'm guessing it just never panned out.

As far as the AtariVox+, it's out of my price range considering I only want to be able to use saves on the games I have that support them, not the voice stuff. I'm on a limited income, so a $10-15 savekey or some DIY plans for one are what I needed. thanks for the quick reply though!

Alternatively you can ask someone to build you a SaveKey. Its pretty simple and the schematics are available.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/256042-boulder-dash-loaner-cart;-reviews-and-reservations/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3627968

I'd gladly pay someone to build one, but I'm sure I have the skill, I just need the DIY info. I saw a diagram in that thread, but I'd like to have a little better info before I start building something that I'll be plugging into my Atari.

Edited by RamrodHare

I knew the savekey plugged into the joystick port, but I had read in old threads that Fred had worked on saves with the Harmony. I'm guessing it just never panned out.

I know saves were figured it, it was done for Chetiry :

Cherity is a Melody-enhanced game and features the ability to save high scores to the cartridge.

However that's for standalone games, not for games loaded via the SD card. Harmony is a Melody + daughterboard containing an SD slot & USB port, though you can flash games on it for standalone use just like the Melody. The Encore is a variation of the Harmony with extra Flash ROM and RAM.

I've not used the high score save feature in any of my games as it requires you to set aside 4K of the cartridge.

I've not used the high score save feature in any of my games as it requires you to set aside 4K of the cartridge.

Since you mentioned it, I just wanted to tell you that Warlords had been a favorite of mine for many, many years, but it's been replaced with Medieval Mayhem. Thank you for the amazing work you you did on that game!

• Like 1

Since you mentioned it, I just wanted to tell you that Warlords had been a favorite of mine for many, many years, but it's been replaced with Medieval Mayhem. Thank you for the amazing work you you did on that game!

Thank you! Since you have a Harmony you might like to playtest my latest project, Draconian. I'm planning to release it at PRGE in October.

I built my savekey a few years ago. It's an easy project that only requires basic soldering skills.
post-10599-0-61049400-1496904900.jpgpost-10599-0-23293400-1496904781.jpg
It doesn't look very professional, but it works!

Remember to initialize the eeprom by writing the "System Setting Page" as per the Atarivox documentation, as I think games will check for that to detect the savekey:

The first EEPROM page is reserved for the System Settings which is currently just the 8 byte ASCII signature “ATARIVOX” followed by the TV Mode byte.
Bit7 of the TV Mode byte = 0 for PAL, 1 for NTSC. Bit6 = 0 for 60Hz, 1 for 50Hz.