IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

First off, i too would buy the black Atari hat minus the speakers for the right price(decent looking hat).

I know what I think is the right price, but I'm curious what you think the right price is.

I was never a particular fan of the idea, but I do think it could be a viable product at a dramatically reduced price point.

First off, i too would buy the black Atari hat minus the speakers for the right price(decent looking hat).

I know what I think is the right price, but I'm curious what you think the right price is.

I was never a particular fan of the idea, but I do think it could be a viable product at a dramatically reduced price point.

I'd have to say $500 is the right price. That's what they would have to pay me to wear one of them speaker hats in public. Without the speakers, I'd wear one if given to me for free. Short of that, I'll never understand people's willingness to pay good money to become a walking advertisement for some company's brand. Hilfiger anyone?

• Like 3

It doesn't interest me, so I don't have an ideal retail price to give you.

Does anyone know what the real-world use for it is? Is it the 2017 version of this thing?

post-39941-0-67184900-1511281628_thumb.jpg

Pretty sure it's all 1080p now.

From my cable provider: https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/getting-started/faqs

• How do I change the video format settings?
  • To change the Fios TV video format settings on your Fios Set-top Box, using your Fios remote press:

• Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Format > Select the appropriate format that you want to use

Note: Currently, the highest display resolution for broadcast TV is 1080i (interlaced) and 1080p (progressive). You can choose between 16:9 (Cinema) or 4:3 (standard) mode.

Understanding Display Resolutions:

• Picture Quality indicates how many horizontal scan lines can be painted onto the TV screen. The higher the number the better picture quality you can expect from your video source, for example:
    • Picture Scan
      • Progressive scan (p) - sends the odd and even video frames together to the TV screen
      • Interlaced scan (i) - sends the even rows then the odd rows to the TV screen
    • Generally, a 1080p video source has a smoother picture than 1080i video source
      • HDTV is broadcast in either 1080i or 720p
      • Consumer products available for 1080p viewing are for things like video game consoles, HD DVD, or Blu-Ray disks
  • Like 1

From my cable provider: https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/getting-started/faqs

<snip>

• HDTV is broadcast in either 1080i or 720p
      • Consumer products available for 1080p viewing are for things like video game consoles, HD DVD, or Blu-Ray disks

Interesting. I was wrongly conflating the usual set top boxes with the actual signals. Looking into it more, ATSC 1.0 only does 1080i or 720p, which explains the limitation. Interestingly, it looks like ATSC 3.0 (they're skipping 2.0) will support up to 4K HDR, so we'll be bypassing straight-up 1080p. Of course, this is going to be a slow roll-out (I remember how painfully slow the transition from SD to HD was, and even now not everything is in HD!).

One of the reasons why I recently cut the cord was poor image quality with my Xifinity X1 box. That's not much of an issue now with using pure streaming boxes, but I guess the source is still no better than 1080i. I'm just avoiding the compression artifacts from using cable versus IP.

• Like 3

Ataribox JUST shared this message and images in their Facebook page................hahahahhaha :rolling:

We were going to wait for launch to show you the Ataribox Joystick, but we like it way too much to wait. What do you think?

I kind of like it, although I can't help but worry that the fire button won't have enough response.

• Like 2

Nice retro design, but It's kinda limiting for modern games though, no?

If we go by the assumption they're packing in Atari Vault, they can generally get by with just one action button. Of course, there are some of the arcade games on there that do require more than one button. In any case, I agree with you, they'll have to at minimum allow for other standard controllers, if not design their own. They'll really need something that mimics the Xbox controller standard.

• Like 2

Ataribox JUST shared this message and images in their Facebook page................hahahahhaha :rolling:

We were going to wait for launch to show you the Ataribox Joystick, but we like it way too much to wait. What do you think?

attachicon.gif23737897_379572009147388_2588372418206908445_o.jpg

attachicon.gif23826097_379572035814052_5810847118320157222_o.jpg

attachicon.gif23826375_379572032480719_6897909531559039194_o.jpg

Looks cool. I kinda dig it. However, I think the days of using one button for a game are long gone though.

I like that this controller is paying homage to the old 2600 controller but honestly I hope there will be modern controllers as with more button and an ergonomic layout similar to that of the XBOX 360 wireless controller as that will be necessary for modern titles. This controller will definitely be impractical for general overall best use.

Based on the wording, I'm assuming this is just an option, not the standard. They'll have to have something like an Xbox- or Steam-style controller as the default pack-in. If done right, though, they could even sell those joysticks for use on regular PCs. There's definitely a small, but likely viable market for specialty controllers like that.

The boxy part looks like sharp edges, uncomfortable to hold. I wonder if it's 3D printed? The shiny "bowl" part looks like it would get scratched up like a car door handle.

post-2410-0-13382600-1511287004.jpeg

With those pics posted, watch this thread balloon to 200 + pages, probably half of them pictures of William Shatner, off-topic YouTube videos, and quoting 24-40 line post to say "lol yeah".

lol yeah. Seriously, what's up with this thumb? Terrible photographer, or terrible Photoshop job?

post-2410-0-98379000-1511286798.jpg

Also,

• Like 3

If we go by the assumption they're packing in Atari Vault, they can generally get by with just one action button. Of course, there are some of the arcade games on there that do require more than one button. In any case, I agree with you, they'll have to at minimum allow for other standard controllers, if not design their own. They'll really need something that mimics the Xbox controller standard.

Agreed,

On the other hand, if this new Atari controller works with PC, I may get one to use with emulators.

Linux supports pretty much everything on the planet, even my Saitek X52 Pro has full support, with a nice open source library for customizing the LCD screen on them.

• Like 1

The boxy part looks like sharp edges, uncomfortable to hold. I wonder if it's 3D printed? The shiny "bowl" part looks like it would get scratched up like a car door handle.

if you look at the full sized image of the one on the gray table or whatever, you can see its already getting some scratches

attachicon.giftiida-handle2.jpeg

lol yeah. Seriously, what's up with this thumb? Terrible photographer, or terrible Photoshop job?

attachicon.gifWTF is up with that thumb.jpg

Also,

Ha, that thumb looks like maybe he's pressing on something that isn't there, or it's shrunk mysteriously on the end. Or we're making fun of some guy with a weird disease that causes his thumb to be small!

• Like 2