IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Punchcards are like paper cartridges!

Reminder: you don't need to wait for That Ataribox.

You could also get That Playstation 4 for $200, which will come with a $50 gift card effectively making it $150.

post-2410-0-88703400-1511369088_thumb.png

Or you could get That Mini PC for $250, and bring your own storage device (SSDs are cheap now) for $250.

post-2410-0-84331600-1511369137_thumb.png

If you already have a nice PC, but just want something on the TV, you could get That Steam Link for the price of ... five dollars.

post-2410-0-10626300-1511369228_thumb.png

Any of these can play Atari Vault (PC) or Atari Flashback Collection (PS4), and you don't have to wait, or support terrorism crowdfunding.

• Like 2

Punchcards are like paper cartridges!

Reminder: you don't need to wait for That Ataribox.

You could also get That Playstation 4 for $200, which will come with a $50 gift card effectively making it $150.

attachicon.gifThat Playstation.png

Or you could get That Mini PC for $250, and bring your own storage device (SSDs are cheap now) for $250.

attachicon.gifthat mini PC.png

If you already have a nice PC, but just want something on the TV, you could get That Steam Link for the price of ... five dollars.

attachicon.gifThat Steam Link.png

Any of these can play Atari Vault (PC) or Atari Flashback Collection (PS4), and you don't have to wait, or support terrorism crowdfunding.

Yeah but too many buttons on the joysticks. Too many joysticks on the joystick too...

Playing Centipede with a joystick causes me great pain and suffering and I intend to sue for damages.

Come on, Atari, do you really think the VCS version is better than the arcade original? It's been 35 years.

That was the arcade version, it's just that today's primitive rendering technology makes everything look blockier... :P

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

Let's not mention that it would be trivial to have VCS Centipede playing in the background while waggling a joystick in the foreground for the purposes of a blurry, closely cropped 12-second video. I could do the same thing with a can of soup. At least we know there's a cheesy, always-on red LED backlight in the new controller. The range of movement seems similar to the old 2600 sticks. Personally, I think that's a missed opportunity to make it better, but I guess the counterpoint is you shouldn't mess with nostalgia.

giphy.gif

Show us the rest of it. This teasing is getting really old.

And who is the mystery player?

post-2410-0-67405400-1511376359_thumb.png

Also, the shape of the icons used are specifically the icons for Android..but hey, let's go ahead and split atoms. I'm willing to bet next year's salary that this thing is an Android box. :)

-Thom

Ehhh.... I get what you're saying, but the 'Home' and 'Back' glyphs used for Android have become pretty much de facto standards at this point. Note that I'm not ruling out the possibility of the thing running Android (because Linux! Sorta.), but the presence of those buttons doesn't really tell much.

Along those lines, I do still occasionally see icons originally designed for BeOS being used in places (online and in applications) to this day. While a BeOS-based AtariBox would rock, and RAWK HARD, that would kill the OMG LINUX!!inspanishthefirstoneisupsidedown!!! claims... ;)

Playing Centipede with a joystick causes me great pain and suffering and I intend to sue for damages.

Come on, Atari, do you really think the VCS version is better than the arcade original? It's been 35 years.

You know, if you sued for damages and won, that would be a delightful lesson to all of the crowdfunders.

Let's make it a class action. That way we can all play at home!

Edited by x=usr(1536)

And who is the mystery player?

post-2410-0-67405400-1511376359.png

Looks like this guy.... And it looks like that divot is present in the thumb like in the picture, so there ya go. I think someone needs to run the video through the Ames Research Center supercomputer to validate it fully.

feargal.jpg?w=800&resize=800%2C504&strip

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 2

Ehhh.... I get what you're saying, but the 'Home' and 'Back' glyphs used for Android have become pretty much de facto standards at this point. Note that I'm not ruling out the possibility of the thing running Android (because Linux! Sorta.), but the presence of those buttons doesn't really tell much.

but why? The Android back button in particular is terrible design. Sometimes it takes you back to the last screen/page you were on, while other times it takes you out of the application completely, and it feels like a complete crapshoot which behavior you get.

• Like 1