IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I believe this is two unrelated stories cobbled together by lazy media. The Shazam story is on macrumors.com, but not the ataribox story.

Yes, it's kind of an "eats, shoots, and leaves" situation, where poorly chosen punctuation completely changes the meaning.

The headline says:

Tech Bytes: Apple Buys Shazam, Atari Box Pre-orders

• Like 3

Not really. Doesn't "Tech Bytes" imply that multiple news snippets will follow? And the commas are there to indicate complete and total separation.

No really though I had to get more coffee after this snippet, and then I got to thinking if the 11 Million dollar toy testing kid will he get an Atari Box to test? Kids have great imaginations.

• Like 1

it will shut up more than one

I'm sure most of us would shut up if we had pertinent info like:

1) specs

2) information about who will make games for this (maybe the most important part), how those games will be able to be purchased, and some insight as to the sustainability of whatever the marketplace is revealed to be

3) why we should buy this beyond loyalty to a logo

A render, the ability to play Terraria, a lead engineer who's associated with some lame stuff and "pre-orders" on a crowdfunding site aren't good enough reasons to part with as much money as any of the main modern consoles cost.

• Like 8

I watched this video again last night, the interview with Feargal Mac about the Ataribox.

His demeanor (as well as non-answers) betrays the reality of the situation: Ataribox team has nothing. It's clear, at least to me, that he is giving a sales pitch. Only with no product to sell, it's more of a hail mary pass. Or perhaps a shotgun approach? I don't even know what metaphor fits best, but watch how he nervously grabs his neck when asked a pointed question.

He is asked about games. (I'm paraphrasing) "You may want a full list of games that will be on it... Not yet, not yet but sooon!" Well that interview was 2 months ago or so, and we have yet to hear about one single game except Minecraft and Terraria (which aren't even confirmed).

Asked why Ataribox would succeed where others have failed. He appeals to nostalgia. "Everyone has an Atari story." "Everyone knows these classic games/characters." But more importantly, the "community." Atari still has legions of fans and he wants to "leverage the community." Simply put, he wants to put an Atari logo on a box and sell it to those of us who would buy it simply for that reason. I admit, I am one of them, but crowdfund it on Indiegogo I will not do.

Doesn't "leverage the [Atari] community" sound a lot like "cornering the retro video game market"?

When this Indiegogo drops in a mere 2 days, will we be assaulted with a wall of information like specs, games, etc? Or will be get more renders, vague promises and a choice of black or "real wood" for pre-ordering* early? It would be so much easier to give this project any credibility if Feargal wasn't acting exactly like Mike Kennedy was before his crowdfunding campaign started.

*Indiegogo is not a pre-order

• Like 10

I watched this video again last night, the interview with Feargal Mac about the Ataribox.

His demeanor (as well as non-answers) betrays the reality of the situation: Ataribox team has nothing. It's clear, at least to me, that he is giving a sales pitch. Only with no product to sell, it's more of a hail mary pass. Or perhaps a shotgun approach? I don't even know what metaphor fits best, but watch how he nervously grabs his neck when asked a pointed question.

He is asked about games. (I'm paraphrasing) "You may want a full list of games that will be on it... Not yet, not yet but sooon!" Well that interview was 2 months ago or so, and we have yet to hear about one single game except Minecraft and Terraria (which aren't even confirmed).

Asked why Ataribox would succeed where others have failed. He appeals to nostalgia. "Everyone has an Atari story." "Everyone knows these classic games/characters." But more importantly, the "community." Atari still has legions of fans and he wants to "leverage the community." Simply put, he wants to put an Atari logo on a box and sell it to those of us who would buy it simply for that reason. I admit, I am one of them, but crowdfund it on Indiegogo I will not do.

Doesn't "leverage the [Atari] community" sound a lot like "cornering the retro video game market"?

When this Indiegogo drops in a mere 2 days, will we be assaulted with a wall of information like specs, games, etc? Or will be get more renders, vague promises and a choice of black or "real wood" for pre-ordering* early? It would be so much easier to give this project any credibility if Feargal wasn't acting exactly like Mike Kennedy was before his crowdfunding campaign started.

*Indiegogo is not a pre-order

This project is, more or less, DOA come two days' time. I am more interested if the Dreamcade Replay can become a reality as that seemed to be legit as it offered a lot more (tangible) possibilities than the Ataribox.

• Like 2

I have one serious question which I'll put out in the ether even if I'm pretty confident it will never get an answer.

What is the development plan for this product?

I ask because any thoughtful person who considers backing or buying this should have that information. Notably, do they have any intention of actually bringing it to market in retail? Are they prepared to back it for a specific life cycle? Are there any retail outlets prepared to stock it? What are they trying to accomplish, and why should anyone support it?

Their performance to date suggest answers to much of that. The only thing they can claim about their plan is it will play Atari classic games and some new ones. So can a Wii, raspberry pi, smart TVs, a digital camera, and pretty much anything that supports controls of some sort. They keep suggesting they are making some new game development channel through their pixel furnace service like that's a thing. My point is, unless they actually have a plan for a life cycle beyond delivering something to indiegogo backers, this thing has no reason to exist. There can be no game developers, exclusive content, or reason to own it as compared to any other obsolete device.

A game system can't succeed if it has no intention of reaching sales outlets. Ouya was able to get into department stores and still failed. If they chose to, Atari could put a product in stores tomorrow like AtGames has. It's hard or impossible not to count the thing a failure before launch because they went the indiegogo route. This is the biggest dirty secret that they are covering for. So far, this is just the promise of another cheap frying pan painted a different color and hocked on late night infomercials. As usual, it will find some poor unsuspecting suckers to give them money only to find their eggs stick. Then it won't be heard from until the next colored miracle frying pan comes along. Problem being, how many cheap ass frying pans do people need?

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 3

After having a good night's sleep on the subject and giving it some thought throughout the day I'm not so positive to calling a crowdfunding launch a "pre-order" as IGG and KS both state that it's not a store, and preorders are as far as I know a form of purchase, not a pledge.

If they have a working proto and are set for manufacturing why not just sell it through their website and strike deals with select retailers like AtGames does?

If they have no prototype and aren't ready for production why call it pre-order if there isn't a final, ready project to order yet?

I can't understand the reasoning but then I'm no marketing/sales guy...

• Like 3

Can’t wait to see what custom colors and limited editions they offer.

Any customer can have an AtariBox in any color that he wants so long as it is Woodgrain/Black or Black.

Joking aside, someday I will have such a story to tell. There are people involved that will surprise you, twists and turns that will astound.

I can only say that I honestly believe that the people involved really do want this to succeed.

Back to joking.. I think if and the original Atari folks gave it a blessing people would still call fowl.

• Like 2

Any customer can have an AtariBox in any color that he wants so long as it is Woodgrain/Black or Black.

Joking aside, someday I will have such a story to tell. There are people involved that will surprise you, twists and turns that will astound.

I can only say that I honestly believe that the people involved really do want this to succeed.

Back to joking.. I think if and the original Atari folks gave it a blessing people would still call fowl.

It's a bird, it's a plane... no it is the fowl AtariBox! The joke would be better if they had Duck Hunt instead of bughunt packed in. Could make more bird jokes.

We’re gonna have our balls blown off, right? You’ll have debuffed our skepticism.

• Like 7

I hope you're right Historian...In fact I sincerely Hope you do still stick around with us here on AtariAge even if this never comes to pass...You seem like a good guy; There's nothing wrong with being positive, I guess, and for all I know they do have something hidden behind closed doors...

I guess time will tell...

It's early for me, but I keep thinking what if the kid with the 11 Million Dollars funded a good chunk of this and began reviewing it Next Spring or whenever....Maybe they could leverage That Community...I mean unlike most of us, that little guy has money to burn...

• Like 1