IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I don't think Atari SA is doing anything more than a bunch of other fly by night companies these days, that is, desperately trying to generate buzz to get a stock boost. The functionality, success or even delivery of anything they are talking up is tertiary to : 1. Is anyone talking about us? 2. Is the value of our stock climbing out of the dirt? I think their expenditures to Rain Factory for social media marketing have been targeted at that agenda from the beginning. I also believe some of the company endorsements and stock advisers that appear on these forums are directly tied to the execution of that agenda. Some may actually be their target audience buying it hook line and sinker to do their job for them for free. In any event, you know their marketing people are watching these kind of boards and desperately wishing they could change the tone of the conversations.

Atari SA couldn't even muster the ability to issue an Internet press release in English for more than a few of their "major" announcements. They're a big nothing burger, but the entertainment factor is watching them execute on their agenda, while the naive and blindly optimistic people line up to believe the fantasy they try to create.

• Like 6

It’s the 21st century, and you can still make a lot of money telling lost companies that “image” and “brand” are more important than quality of product... or even HAVING a product. I’m astonished that, in this day and age, companies will expend so much effort trying to “control the narrative” when that is a demonstrably impossible goal. They’d be far better off trying to actually deliver something people wanted rather than trying to hype something the customers are being *told* they want.

In a way, it reminds me of the overzealous copy protection days of the late 90s/early 2000s, when publishers spent more time keeping people from copying content than they actually spent making content. Did they lose money to piracy? Sure. But they lost far, far more investing in snake oil protection that didn’t stop piracy and took away from their resources to actually make product.

• Like 6

I just don't get all the fuss...

Of course Atari is going to have a real Atari box at GDC. Why wouldn't they?

Those things are all over eBay. This one is less than $40:

post-2641-0-95042100-1521053307_thumb.jpg

It even has software!

Not sure how they plan to resell it for $300 though.

• Like 10

tempest 4000 not coming to switch? :sad:

You're surprised a new Nintendo console is one or two generations behind in computational power and can't run a modern game? Surely you jest.

Tempest 4000 minimum system requirements have been posted. Tempest 4000 can run on a potato. Not putting this on Switch is a business decision or a matter of limited development resources, not the power of Nintendo's system. The game could even run on AtariBox (if it existed).

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • MINIMUM:
    • OS: Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit, Windows 10 64bit
    • Processor: Intel Core i3-2120 CPU 3.30Ghz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600 or higher
    • DirectX: Version 10
    • Storage: 2 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Windows Compatible Sound card

Tempest 4000™ © 2018 Atari, Inc. All rights reserved. Atari and the Atari logo are trademarks owned by Atari Interactive, Inc. Tempest 4000™ is a trademark owned by Atari, Inc. Developed by Llamasoft Ltd.

post-2410-0-28704700-1521058860_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I just don't get all the fuss...

Of course Atari is going to have a real Atari box at GDC. Why wouldn't they?

Those things are all over eBay. This one is less than $40:

attachicon.gifs-l1600.jpg

It even has software!

Not sure how they plan to resell it for $300 though.

Don't forget ... you can get a real Ataribox for less than $34, shipped. The nice Activision one, too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/123012418839

I just got mine today. It's fun, there's a "rewind" button so you can cheat if you mess up. There are some peculiar omissions (it has M Network games but no Astroblast; a bunch of Activision games but no Barnstorming), but it's a nice setup nonetheless, with wireless controllers and HDMI output. Demon Attack, Atlantis, and Dragonfire from Imagic are in there too. You can find a list of the titles in the Dedicated Systems subforum or on Logiduice's Armchair Arcade.

The "refurb" I got from the above ebay seller did not include the original box, but had (dead) batteries. I wonder if someone returned or junked it because the batteries went bad?

The regular Gold (non-Activision) Edition has a bunch of Activision games too, but not as many.

Anyway, to get back on topic (ha ha), this cheap toy has just about all the Atari I want (apart from an SD card with even more) so it's hard to imagine "AtariBox" bringing a whole lot more to the table.

Wait, why are they going for way less than the store price? Did they already fail? (Saw a gold version at Target and passed on it so far.)

No, this is a third party reseller with refurb units. Mine had no box or instructions or posters, which is fine for me because I've played an Atari or two in my time.

It's number 8 in the series, I wouldn't call it a failure. I had planned to get one at full price but life got in the way.

Jet has new ones for a bit less than retail.

https://jet.com/product/Atari-Flashback-8-Gold-Activision-Edition/0d6eec6cb21947be94a38db8e6930b04