IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Surprised people still don't know about the raspberry pi. It is so awesome and cheap.

Everyone knows about the raspberry pi. We get it, you think it's the best solution. But... Many choose not to use it or don't have the know how to put a system together with one. It involves a bit of knowledge and most daunting of all: effort.

A vast number of consumers want to buy a product, plug it in, and play games. This is the mainstream and it is where most consumers, and their money, resides.

If Ataribox can find the sweet spot of attractive footprint, price, ease of use, features, and game titles, it can find its niche. It has the first nailed, just need the other 4.

• Like 1

Everyone knows about the raspberry pi. We get it, you think it's the best solution. But... Many choose not to use it or don't have the know how to put a system together with one. It involves a bit of knowledge and most daunting of all: effort.

A vast number of consumers want to buy a product, plug it in, and play games. This is the mainstream and it is where most consumers, and their money, resides.

If Ataribox can find the sweet spot of attractive footprint, price, ease of use, features, and game titles, it can find its niche. It has the first nailed, just need the other 4.

Yeah I get that. I had a coworker talk to me about how to find a nes classic because I was the resident nerd at work. Told her there werent any unless she wanted to pay out the ass.

Told her about the raspberry and helped her order one and set it up for her. It's definitely not hard but she definitely didn't want to put in that effort.

I really hope Ataribox turns into something I want and is reasonable. I would like to see atari make steps to become more prominent in videogames. Just like I'm waiting for Nintendo to make their comeback

• Like 2

Not only do most people not want to put in the initial effort, but heaven forbid anything go wrong or glitch. I know many people who purchased a "hacked" Amazon Fire box (the quotes are there since there is no such thing, Amazon leaves them open ended) off Craigslist for Kodi. Within a month the pre-set channels are gone and they have no idea how to look for new ones. So they give them away or put them in the closet.

Raspberry Pi is not a zero effort console. 1) it comes out of the case (at least the one I ordered did), so you have to put in 4 screws and maybe put on a heatsink with thermal sticker. 2) While it came with a microSD card with RetroPi installed, it didn't come with any ROMs. For the same reason that DreamerCade (or whatever it was called) shouldn't have tried. They're kind of under the 'no one really says anything as long as you don't try to make a profit on it' things.

Interface for it is excellent though, very straight forward to use. If indeed someone could license the ROMs for distribution and they created a Steam-like store, it wouldn't be half bad. Hell, that's all that the Sega Genesis and Atari Vault collections are. I remember someone even found headers from an emulator for the NES in one of their bundles of classic games. They are pretty much making money off of the emulator crowd anyhow.

Raspberry Pi is not a zero effort console. 1) it comes out of the case (at least the one I ordered did), so you have to put in 4 screws and maybe put on a heatsink with thermal sticker. 2) While it came with a microSD card with RetroPi installed, it didn't come with any ROMs. For the same reason that DreamerCade (or whatever it was called) shouldn't have tried. They're kind of under the 'no one really says anything as long as you don't try to make a profit on it' things.

R-Pi isn't even a console, but that's arguing semantics. Some people might be genuinely afraid of electricity and plugging things into the wall and having to handle bare circuit boards. Could be terrifying. Others are simply lazy. And yet another crowd simply does not think in the logical & common sense manner for putting together an R-Pi console.

• Like 3

R-Pi isn't even a console, but that's arguing semantics. Some people might be genuinely afraid of electricity and plugging things into the wall and having to handle bare circuit boards. Could be terrifying. Others are simply lazy. And yet another crowd simply does not think in the logical & common sense manner for putting together an R-Pi console.

Hope I'm being logical with mine.

Unless it's an off-the-shelf product, Atari simply can't do something like that. They can repackage and rebrand something that's existing, but have nowhere near the resources of the big three to develop something new. It takes hundreds of millions or more to develop a platform, even one that "just" uses PC_like technology, and Atari would struggle with single digital projects. And to be frank, it's hard enough for Nintendo to get third party support for their systems because they don't have the same horsepower as the PS4, Xbox One, and PC, so imagine Atari trying to drum up support.

Actually, using unity3d, you just click a few button and the game exports out to any of 40 different systems. Sense they have windows 32, 64 and windows10 store with intel and arm, then there is no problem for the games to be ported. Some people like me would even give Atari exclusive titles if they wanted. Maybe for a year or 2, then export out to the other systems.

Going pc based is the best way. There will be tons of games.

Conspiracies are more fun! Not like we have anything else to talk about in the midst of Atari's current tease and then silence. It's like an attractive $whateveryoureinto calling you up and saying they're going to rock your world, then you don't hear from them for months.

Stupid flunkies dunno what's good for them!! Dumbass shitferbrainz smartphoners!

Today's retro-remakes and indie-retro-stuff are rather lame, like that David Crane Pitfall remake. Glad that never made it. Even the Dino-Eggs remake (Apple II game -to- modern PC) seemed to flop and fall into obscurity after a couple of days of noise.

Thing in common is ALL these remakes start out with name-dropping the original author in a fanfare of glory. Their glory days are long past. And their remakes are lame. Get over it.

I'd much MUCH rather see the original game repackaged with an emulator and maybe even expanded upon. Reviews and interviews are more fascinating that shitty remakes. Revived. And perhaps even compatible with their original platform. But for chrissakes, use the original platform! Not some 10-layer-deep set of of APIs and game making utilities like Unity or the godforsaken Game Maker. That's what the game mechanics work best on, the original characteristics of period hardware.

All this shit is completely lost on modern game developers and the suits that push them around.

• Like 1

Today's retro-remakes and indie-retro-stuff are rather lame, like that David Crane Pitfall remake. Glad that never made it. Even the Dino-Eggs remake (Apple II game -to- modern PC) seemed to flop and fall into obscurity after a couple of days of noise.

I am very close to finishing a remake of pitfall myself, 'Pitfalls of Natheria". It is an indi game and is quite good. No Atari or Activision or David Crane. Crane wanted something like $800,000 bucks to make it. I did it for $0. It has every level but updated to current cross platform technology. Lots of new stuff. Kind of like a remake and a sequal rolled into one. It should be done in a month or 2 at the latest. It was done on Unity3d (as most games today are done on). It took me over a year full time to do. Now the hard part is making money off of it. Anyone know of a good distributor?

• Like 1

And then people will piss on them for being simplistic. Look at the comments on any PlayStation official blog post -- lots and lots of complaining about how they don't like indie games (which resemble what you describe, they're the heir to retro IMHO) in the PS+ freebies

But their logic is they would rather get an old AAA that almost everyone already owns as a 'freebie'. SMH

Really they are a bunch of fanboys looking for bragging rights so they can win the monthly "PS+ vs Xbox live" battle. And some are just trolls.

I've tried a few of the indie games on PS4 and Xbox One. While they were ok for just me, many are great to play with my 6 y.o. daughter. We really like Lovers In a Dangerous Space Time.

It seems to me independent titles are very similar to the homebrews we get for the older consoles.

As long as the price is right, they definitely have a place. Any new console needs to have the ability to download indie games AND make it attractive to the developers of these titles.

A pretty interesting document has been posted on the official Atari Corporate site last Friday. It's their yearly annual report and it's about 130 (!) pages long. It's certainly an advantage to understand French; on the other hand, Google Translate does a relatively good job nowadays.

Check it out yourself (see link below).

Remember when I mentioned that videogame-industry analysts are talking about 'Pay per play'? There's a hint about such a concept in that document.

Oh, and the following is certainly interesting to get translated into English (this section talks about contracts that current Atari SA is holding):

CONTRATS AVEC LES FABRICANTS DE CONSOLES
Des contrats entre la Société et/ou ses filiales et les fabricants de consoles (Sony Computer
Entertainment et Microsoft) régissent le fonctionnement de la relation entre les parties. Ces
contrats autorisent la Société à utiliser la technologie de ces fabricants de consoles aux fins de
développer et d'exploiter des produits compatibles avec leurs consoles respectives. Ces contrats
couvrent notamment, de façon détaillée, l'utilisation des kits de développement, le processus
d'autorisation d'éditer, les redevances de l'éditeur au fabricant, la durée de la relation, les
territoires concernés, les coûts de fabrication ainsi que la logistique afférente, les conditions de
paiement et les obligations de confidentialité auxquelles sont tenues les parties.

Here's the link; get hold of your French dictionaries ;-): http://www.atari-investisseurs.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/ATARI-DDR-2017-VDEF-2017-08-03.pdf

Hmmm, authorization to make products compatible with Sony and Microsoft's consoles...

So I get to hear Uncharted through my Speakerhat? Awwww yeah.

This sounds EXACTLY as they said it was: a PC based system. If a game is designed in Unity3d, then it can be exported to sony, miscrosoft and Nintendo systems. So yeah, it sounds like a PC based system. Makes sense as the SDK would be easy to make and incorporate. This was every developer can export their games to Ataribox. They'd have tons of games.