IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

That's why I like the old-school method of purchasing things. I could go do BMX or electronics experiments while the engineers at Atari were working on making great games for me to buy at Christmas time and all year thereafter.

Today many folks are making asses of themselves with this kickstarter nonsense. While they themselves believe they're building a reputatation, they are, but it is the wrong kind. More and more kickstarter = beware.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

So, just putting my two cents in all that has taken place since 5pm yesterday, I would like to say that the criticism, hesitation, and general lack of support for the Ataribox is completely and totally ? warranted. I would like the Ataribox to succeed, but it has a lot of issues that don't look like they are going to be resolved anytime soon. You can be a fan of Atari, but you don't have to blindingly support them and agree with all, or hardly anything, the company does. Sorry, but there are a lot of experts here that have a hell of a lot better perspective than I, and I respect their opinions, though I may not agree with everyone. Also, the gaming experiences that modern consoles offer is just awesome. I saw a run through of Forza Motorsport 7. Sorry, but being able to race a 1970 Pontiac Trans Am is just bitchin'. While I love classic racing games like Road Rash and Super Monaco GP, they can't hold a candle to the the experiences modern consoles offer. If modern consoles aren't your thing, cool. Nothing wrong with that. However, don't bag on people who really love modern stuff. It is just not cool and haters just need to zip it. Just my opinion, but show some class and respect toward others, especially members who have a helluva lot more knowledge and experience than you might have.

Edited by Hwlngmad
  • Like 4

This is a widespread phenomenon in both online forums and in real physical life. I once posted a suggestion at an aerospace website - and was immediately shit-canned because "they" thought I had an attitude. Who the hell do you think you are, 7 posts and you're already telling us what to do. Thought I was brash and brazen for even at hinting that something be done differently. Narcissism is alive and well in group-think of all kinds. Me me me me and my way only. Alright then. Do it your way. I'll have fun here, while you stumble around over there.

OK, so what do us new folks need to do in order to appear credible? Other than making sure we don't look like shills or anything?

I think it's safe to assume most of us have real opinions. Looking back on my old posts, I know mine was swayed by this discussion. That's the point of discussion, is it not?

*Sniff... My opinion matters TOO you know...

OK, so what do us new folks need to do in order to appear credible? Other than making sure we don't look like shills or anything?

I think it's safe to assume most of us have real opinions. Looking back on my old posts, I know mine was swayed by this discussion. That's the point of discussion, is it not?

its rather simple, participate

personally I like hearing fresh idea's and opinions, especially over someone who has been a member for a long time, but never participates other than coming out of left field with a goblin fart and leaving again

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 6

Just say what you mean. And do what you say you mean. Nothing else really.

For folks that can't handle other's opinions or tell someone not to listen to someone.. heh.. brings to light their own narrow-mindedness.

• Like 6

Right, in the picture they shared the watch wasn't accepting a standard usb-c cable. In a nutshell the edge of the watch prevents the plug from completely sinking into place.

Samsung can barely get that right. I bought one of the DeX Stations for my Note 8, Nd because of the way they designed it, none of the cases I have tried work with it because it doesn't quite sink in all the way. I bought a USb-C extender that works, but then it sits top heavy.

Folks...

Forget about Atari and their new 'Ataribox'. It's a gimped system with very little in the way of features.

Why don't you all buy a fabulous system called the Amiga CD32?! It's a fully functional and enhanced Amiga 1200 housed in a console shell with CD-ROM capabilities, and has an immense library of games ready to go! Don't listen to Infogrames/Atari claptrap... invest in Commodore today!

cd32.jpg

• Like 3

bea21bf057d1f5195aad81250e7df3ca--atari-

• Like 4

I'd say, just don't try to manipulate the discussion with a hidden agenda. The folks that espouse one thing while communicating something else are usually seen for what they are pretty quick. These boards are not populated by spring chickens, and I venture a guess that most here are experienced in dealing with used car salesmen.

Not taking yerself so damn serious helps. Having a funny sig is always a plus too. Just read that for the first time and my brain filled in the horribly acted delivery. LMAO

"It's over, Bush! I have the battleground states!"

"You misunderestimate my power..."

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more.

Now, since it's been suggested some members opinions on these forums are somehow less relevant based on their registration date, can anyone recall if an account was required for the AtariAge store? I only ask because I've been a customer and follower of AtariAge since 2004 when I purchased my first Stelladaptor. I'm pretty sure I had a forum account back then, but I've moved at least twice since '04 and changed ISPs, and therefore email accounts. (I've only been intermittently active on forums, I can't imagine why.) I honestly wouldn't think it matters one wit, but since it came up, it made me curious to find the old account, but it's been 13 years. Don't want some cranky johnny come lately thinking they got some moral authority based on their registration date. ;-)

I wasn't going to return however this needs to be addressed, i will make it quick. It's not about new members and respect it's more about classic troll behavior. Im guessing you lost your old account and just happened to sign up directly after the Ataribox was announced. I mean 90% of your focus is on this thread alone and completely one sided (all the tell tale signs of a troll in action).

I have seen this many times on many sites(i have moderated on a few sites). Many wont tolerate trolls and instant ban but hey this is AA and kind of has the layback attitude like Atari from the 70's. I could be wrong and im sure you all will tell me how it's a coincidence blah blah blah.

Anyway i kind of feel bad pointing this out if the 1% chance you're legit however i doubt it... Also yeah im sure i have lost alot of respect (well whatever i had anyway) although im not going to sit back and be fake. Im the type of person who hates confrontation and always treat people with respect however im that 1% that will stand up and say something when i feel another is bullied out. You all say it's not bullying and yes i understand it's an internet debate but atleast hear people out before throwing up a 4chan meme to mock the individual.

That's all im going to say, im sure you're a good bloke and i feel kind of bad even writing up this response, so for that im sorry for any hurt feeling. I just feel the troll force is strong with this thread. Anyway good luck with everything

Edit: Sorry for any toes stepped on

Edited by Tony The 2600

atleast hear people out before throwing up a 4chan meme to mock the individual.

Every community develops a "personality", if you will. This personality guides what is acceptable behavior for that community. 4Chan has theirs, AA has theirs, and the diabetic communities I'm part of have theirs (Diabetic awareness month, so you know... be aware). Members of the community work within those boundaries.

What some might see as trollish behavior could actually be not only acceptable, but tacitly expected.

So far, I have see nothing in this thread that breaks from the traditions held by AA.

In some ways I think we are still kids, sitting 4 feet in front of that picture tube trying to out do the high score your friend just got on the game; passing verbal jabs back and forth.

• Like 6

Peace man. Apology accepted, and I apologize if anything came off as disrespectful. I do have to disagree that pointing out a fairly rich history of misrepresentations by a marketing company or thrice renamed start-up who are asking people to trust them with their money is in any way troll behavior. If anything, in my view, it's everyone on these boards and elsewhere that are being trolled by Atari and Rainfactory. The performance to date is disrespectful to a large sector of their intended audience. I'm a former commercial producer, and I've had my fair share of run-ins with ethically challenged companies and marketing outfits. It's never okay to deliberately and knowingly falsify facts or claims to raise capital. If and when there is an actual Ataribox, it will be judged on it's actual merits.

• Like 4

Some of the things I like that JBerel has brought so far because it helps the point I was trying to make when I got blasted by some for saying I didn't like how they were using the social media marketing company after I had showed the RainFactory pages hidden on there website.

He showed what may be evidence that they make fake profiles and comments from fake fans of products which hopefully now people understand why I'm against that.

• Like 3

I think die-hard Atari fans would agree the first iteration of the company was short-lived. Technicalities and semantics and specifics aside. I believe the bigger picture is that most fans of Original Atari refer to

Original Atari lasting up to the end of the Jaguar days. To me, that is when Atari died. Anything after is a zombie lurching around without direction.

The difference, again, between 1982 Atari and 2017 atari is the type of product and how it is developed/marketed. 2017 atari has yet to produce anything that captivated me like the VCS did in 1977.

I'm not necessarily asking for another VCS-like product, but one that can enamor me and romance me like VCS did. Ohh yes it's possible. It happens on occasion even decades later.

As far as "Delusional people acting like it's changed or something..." They're not delusional at all. Just seeing things clearly. It has indeed changed. Even my non-classic-gamer colleagues even express it by saying things like, "What ever happened to Atari?" or "Wow that was was cool company that made those games, wish they were still around."

I generally agree with this, tho I must point out that Atari Games was kept alive as Midway West till about 2003. Even if they changed names to avoid confusion, it still existed, and would've been influenced by its past.

I do care some about continued existence. If Atari has kept going from '96 till today they would have some sort of culture influenced by the company's history. even if all the 70's/80's employees had retired they would've passed their knowledge of the company on to new employees through stories. When JTS took over they fired all but 5 people who were supposed to help them sell off/license Atari's IP. From what I've read Hasbro only bought Atari's IP; I find no evidence they kept the few remaining Atari employees. Whatever we have today can't be the Atari of the past because Atari stopped existing. There's no history, no culture; the folks who would've set it up were left out of the deal.

• Like 3

Peace man. Apology accepted, and I apologize if anything came off as disrespectful. I do have to disagree that pointing out a fairly rich history of misrepresentations by a marketing company or thrice renamed start-up who are asking people to trust them with their money is in any way troll behavior. If anything, in my view, it's everyone on these boards and elsewhere that are being trolled by Atari and Rainfactory. The performance to date is disrespectful to a large sector of their intended audience. I'm a former commercial producer, and I've had my fair share of run-ins with ethically challenged companies and marketing outfits. It's never okay to deliberately and knowingly falsify facts or claims to raise capital. If and when there is an actual Ataribox, it will be judged on it's actual merits.

You could very well be correct, i mean maybe i do have the Atari goggles, shoes to match with the hat. Guess as a huge Atari fan, i mean as someone who not only collects carts but all Atari branded software, im a little too complacent. I understand Atari is not the same company anymore and guess it's the inner child that wants the comeback tour. Very much like sports fans that will rep a team even if they well know their team is nothing like it used to be 20 years ago.

Now i have been sitting back thinking before blurting emotions i don't think you were disrespectful. Think im just that idiot sitting in the grandstand cheering on a dead horse hoping the bugger will get back up and win the race. It's all good, just hoping they don't pull some sick scheme on loyal fans for a quick buck.

Sorry i take back any belligerent comments made

• Like 2

I figure with all this thread activity, there would be actual new news about the Ataribox. I guess I was wrong.

Yeah no kidding. I asked and they said not out yet...

Just pages and pages of zero info and fighting about nothing.

Coleco forum has one at over 100 pages.

Now the 2600 has one. These topics are negative for Atariage.

Is this made to discuss the best waffle maker or can opener? Cause it has sweet F$%k all to do with the ataribox which by googling I found a 15 second video that says nothing and shows a box with an atari logo. What can be discussed about that?

Is this made to discuss the best waffle maker or can opener? Cause it has sweet F$%k all to do with the ataribox which by googling I found a 15 second video that says nothing and shows a box with an atari logo. What can be discussed about that?

Nothing. All we know is that they want it to run Linux on AMD hardware, the rest is speculation and a lot of discussion about the background of the company and people taking this to Indiegogo. It's not the most distinguished group of people according to me.

At this point i can't decide if the total radiosilence from Big Mac and the rest of the makers is some kind of marketing strategy or if they genuinely have nothing to tell us.

Remember that all we have seen is marketing and PR blurb about how "Atari is back!". Nothing solid on the internals, games or controllers. The kind of stuff that actually matters for a console. Right now this is more about the Atari brand than actual Atari gaming, and the buzzwords Mac used in the recent interview with Ed Fries reflects that.

• Like 5

This just in! No news! Please continue reading other Atari things at AtariAge. They have new Jaguar conversions coming up. And it sounds like the 1088XEL is about done! Now that is an interesting Atari Box.

It is a shame that the Atari name didn't just become public domain, like when Hasbro released all the documentation on the Jaguar.

• Like 2

As far as appearing credible, other gave you some pretty good advice. Can't say I remember reading any posts from you that would make me think you were not.

If you are wondering why there is a lot of skepticism, there have been too many examples of these things turning out to be vaporware or other shenanigans. Maybe you know about two events from the past already, but there was the whole RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon debacle and poo show from the holding company that had the Colecovision trademark (Riverwest brands and Chris Cardillo). The later example could be a parallel to this one as the company that once was Coleco no longer exits, but there is someone that holds the trademark. Let's just say they came into the community in a very heavy handed way and generated a lot of ill-will. Maybe you are aware of those two events, but if not, it is worth searching the forums to give you some context as to why people see a similar pattern here.

I am not convinced that there will ever be a product or if there there is, it will be just another streaming box that plays some games, probably primarily the linux compatible ones from Steam. I am not expecting anything more than that, and regardless of what comes out, it is not from the real Atari which is long gone; again, someone just has the name to slap on it.

Now if I am proven wrong and a really good product comes out in the end, then I am proven wrong. Given that the stated price is going to be around $300 though, it is going to have to have some nifty features that real products on store shelves that you can buy today don't have. I am highly skeptical about that happening.

• Like 1

OMG: with all of this negitivity here I thought I was on FOX News.

Now let's get back to a topic on hand. Linux. I think the system should NOT be open to install games from Linux or Steam. Here's why.

1) Nobody knows what Linux is. Go ask 100 people that have a X-Box and you might get 1-2 that even heard of Linux. Nobody cares. It will not increase sales at all.

2) People just want it to work. You get a TV set. Who wants to spend 15 minutes finding a live stream for a NFL game? Nobody. You just want it to work. Using a K-III Android with Kodi gives 1000 TV channels live, but it takes a long time to find the channel, then stream it and then it drops frames and the link go dead. I just want it to work. Steve Jobs (sorry about naming him) actually understood that. KISS, keep it simple stupid. It just needs to work.

3) Atari gets no money if a game is used on their system if it came from somewhere else. Nintendo/MS/Sony/Google/Appl all make their money selling software. Apple gets money on hardware too. Usually the store gets 30%. If it's a physical device like a DVD, then there is a flat rate like $5 or $10.

4) Developers have no incentive to develop a chess game for a system that already has 30 chess games. You need games like chess, checkers, poker, soduku and all of that kind of stuff. For a developer you don't want to go there. Limiting the number of games to licensees from Atari increases sales for the developers. And yes, golf is one of those. Golfers have more money, will pay for software and are fanatics about the sport. You need golf games, but if there are a ton of golf games on Linux, then why would someone develop for a system that has them?

5) You don't make money off of hardware. it comes from software. That is why IBM no longer makes PCs but Microsoft still sells Windows and Office.

This is a business. A business' goal is to make money. If Atari and their developers are to make money, they need to follow how Nintendo changed the industry. That is have a closed system where they license out devlopers to make a limited number of games. If you want Linux, then go buy a mint box. If you want Atari, then you get Atari. Atari should not even mention Linux ever again. They are just costing themselves money. Someone will find a hack and publish it on YouTube. SO yeah, for those few people then there you go. But for the other 99.9% it should just be Atari.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos