IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I

It is on the site. near the bottom center part of a larger image. this is the direct link on a CDN https://3quq2c38s24j2lmx9eb9g3yj-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/main-bottom-2-1.png

But it's just a generic controller.

https://www.amazon.com/Speedlink-Torid-Gamepad-Wireless-Pc/dp/B014R4E8IE

Good work on finding that image. I see what DanthWader did he cropped out the television, most of the person in the original image and the Ataribox shown on the right side on image (it was a odd cropping of the photo making it look like things we being left out of the photo to obscure details). The image of the controller in the photo is very small and easy to miss. Good eyes DanthWader on spotting the controller in that photo. My apologies for claiming that this might be bogus. I am just eager for new information about the Ataribox as we all are. I do hope that that is the controller for the Ataribox as the XBOX 360 style controller were very good ergonomically and having a wireless controller like this one would be a nice feature for the Ataribox. However I think this is just a stock photo as Atari hasn't released any real details yet. For all we know you might have to support your own controller for the Atarbox.

Edited by Tidus79001

Where exactly did you see this image on the ataribox.com website? There is very little on that that site (and I did check it again after readubg your post) and I do not see any pictures of any controller let alone the one you shared in your post. Also you cropped the top and bottom left off of your photo, so I am thinking this photo didn't really come from the ataribox.com website as you claim and that you are just stirring the pot with your post.

It depends on your resolution if the big pixels cover the controller or not. When i check the website on my phone the controller is blocked by "pixels", when i check on my computer it shows the controller. It was either Mr. Mac's team or their web agency that cropped that photo. None of us.

This is how it looks for me.

Uognov3.png

Have fun with that. I'm not participating in magical thinking.

I am wondering if there's another way to look at this, though. Everyone is (understandably) focusing on the user experience, the specs, the games, the price, what it will do for us.

I don't think it's farfetched to guess that maybe the end user isn't the "real" audience here. Just like with .com services, the end user is often just a means to an end, a way to quantify interest in the product so that the REAL audience, investors or advertisers or potential buyers or ??? will see the old brand differently.

That Motley Fool article (thanks leech) and the $$ stuff (thanks GoldLeader) recently posted got me thinking ...wouldn't Atari prefer to get rich quick via an investment infusion rather than stay poor slow via crowdfunding begging? Maybe they're smarter than they look from the outside?

Then again, Speaker Hat. Maybe they're just as clueless and desperate as they appear to be.

They've always said they were interested in revitalizing the brand. And the kinds of products they're producing (or thinking about) aren't about innovation, but branding. Hats and shirts and selling the logo to movie producers.. Speakerhat it is supposed to be a loud, visible, and mobile product.

If they need flunkies to operate and buy and spread those products, well, then, we're it.. Any company has a 1st responsibility to shareholders. 1st and always 1st!

If you want real and genuine "Atari" you come here to AtariAge, not the shell company. Because we have new games here. And we discuss these new games. We even make them!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

I definitely do not want to stir any pots. I couldnt see the same photo I uploaded on my iPhone. But on the desktop site the controller is barely visible. I support this thing, I know there is hate. I was a hater at first when the render didnt match up with the initial teaser that came out first. But now that they have a prototype box I think they are serious. I hope it does come out in 2018 but they arent high hopes...

• Like 1

I definitely do not want to stir any pots. I couldnt see the same photo I uploaded on my iPhone. But on the desktop site the controller is barely visible. I support this thing, I know there is hate. I was a hater at first when the render didnt match up with the initial teaser that came out first. But now that they have a prototype box I think they are serious. I hope it does come out in 2018 but they arent high hopes...

Same here I am really supportive of the effort to bring to market a new Atari console. DanthWader, just for the record in case you didn't see my followup I retracted the bogus pot stirring remark and apologized as soon as I realized what was going on with the photo. We're all good here. :)

Same here I am really supportive of the effort to bring to market a new Atari console. DanthWader, just for the record in case you didn't see my followup I retracted the bogus pot stirring remark and apologized as soon as I realized what was going on with the photo. We're all good here. :)

It’s best to question everything, I like your style. I did crop it small, but the controller was the focal point, also wanted large enough to compare to the image I got off google for the actual controller. I figured this was old news so I didn’t make it detailed.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with being supportive short of being a sucker.

The wise man hopes for the best, but prepares for the worst.

That simply translates to: Don't give these crowdfunding dorks your money in a show of blind faith.

When they can make an actual product available for sale at retail with unbiased third party reviews, returns, support, and the slightest consumer protections, then is the time to throw all the support you can muster at them. If they can't commit to an initial production run without getting customers to pre-fund them, by definition they have no idea what they are doing or if they'll be successful with any of it.

I refer you to the visual summary of how we got to where we are today.

atariboxtl1.jpg

atariboxtl2.jpg

atariboxtl3.jpg

atariboxtl4.jpg

atariboxtl5.jpg

• Like 8

Nothing wrong with being supportive short of being a sucker.

The wise man hopes for the best, but prepares for the worst.

That simply translates to: Don't give these crowdfunding dorks your money in a show of blind faith.

When they can make an actual product available for sale at retail with unbiased third party reviews, returns, support, and the slightest consumer protections, then is the time to throw all the support you can muster at them. If they can't commit to an initial production run without getting customers to pre-fund them, by definition they have no idea what they are doing or if they'll be successful with any of it.

I refer you to the visual summary of how we got to where we are today.

atariboxtl1.jpg

atariboxtl2.jpg

lynx-spot2.jpg

atariboxtl3.jpg

atariboxtl4.jpg

atariboxtl5.jpg

You forgot the Atari Lynx in your collage. I took the liberty of adding it in for you ;)

• Like 1

You forgot the Atari Lynx in your collage. I took the liberty of adding it in for you ;)

I loved the Atari Lynx and was on board with what the Jaguar was trying to do. However, by the time the Jaguar came out Atari simply couldn't adequately promote the console and also the Jag was really bad to program for. That helped to seal its fate, much like the Sega Saturn. I, too, am hopeful that the Ataribox is worth considering/buying. However, considering the litany of other products that are already out (like the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One S) and others coming out (Dreamcade Replay and Retro-Bit Super Retro-Cade), it will be hard pressed to get people's attention and/or dollars.

The Lynx was neat ... but remember that it was designed in 1986. There was a crapton of technological progress between when Lynx was gee whiz, when it actually came out, and the Jaguar that came out in 1994. Similarly, time has not stood still for Atari and the A-Box has lots of powerful competition for attention and money.

What appears to be on offer with A-Box sounds a lot like what we got with the OUYA five years ago, at a third of the price, in a less crowded field.

post-2410-0-07487300-1510777364.jpg

• Like 1

Should that go before or after WTF baby???? :P

I would have put it after the landfill for chronological order but since there were multiple images per jpeg it didn't leave me much flexibility as to where to add it, so it was either before the landfill or after the Jaguar. Seeing that both the Lynx and Jaguar were both part of the last era of Atari and not directly related to the 2600 spinoffs and occurred after the market crash resulting in the landfill it seemed to be the best place to add it given the options due how the images were created initially.

:grin:

The Lynx was neat ... but remember that it was designed in 1986. There was a crapton of technological progress between when Lynx was gee whiz, when it actually came out, and the Jaguar that came out in 1994. Similarly, time has not stood still for Atari and the A-Box has lots of powerful competition for attention and money.

What appears to be on offer with A-Box sounds a lot like what we got with the OUYA five years ago, at a third of the price, in a less crowded field.

True, but it was still pretty cutting edge when it came out and was superior to its other main (dedicated) handheld devices like the Gameboy and GameGear. Still, the Lynx nor the Jaguar had the support that it needed to succeed. Both were good (possibly great) products that simply had no real chance at succeeding. With the Ataribox, it could very well be this decades OUYA. However, we simply just don't know what this things actually will be. Hopefully we will all find out sooner rather than later.

As far as I know they do not have a prototype box. If they did this thread would have exploded with 10 posts per minute.

Random question. Would any of the 2600 (or any Atari system) devs tracking this thread want their game(s) on the AtariBox?

On my youtube page, you can check out sky diver for the arcade. the programmer and myself had a discussion that if it was released today what would it be. We threw several ideas around. I'm sure he would. Owen Ruben and myself had some of the conversation in private messaging, but you can read what is in the pubic channel. This was from just 3 months ago and we even talked about making an Ataribox version.

You have to click on this video and go to the youtube page to be able to read the messages.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

But GameBand and SpeakerHat and AtariBox look like joke products. Are there that many well-funded suckers who would bite? I suppose they only need one.

Or a funding consortium, or even just a few individual speculative investors.

This is one of the things that really infuriates me about branding mania: more value is put in the brand than in the products sold or manufactured under it.

I'm fairly well convinced that one of the intentions is to get the gameband and speakerhat onto the market solely to be able to say that Atari is capable of releasing products, emphasis on the plural. It doesn't matter if the products are any good, or even desirable - in the eyes of brand equity ferrets, those products put more Fujis in front of more eyes, which in turn raises the brand's value in their estimation.

While I understand that thinking (calling it logic would be a mistake), I find it highly-specious at best. Unfortunately, many others don't, and they're the ones holding the purse strings that fund things like this.

As this relates to adventures in crowdfunding: this one has the potential for leverage with investors. Bear with me on this.

Think of it this way: you're AtariBoxCorp, Inc., and you're utterly cash-strapped. You repackage a couple of cheap-from-China items in the form of the gameband and speakerhat, slap a Fuji on them, and get them out into the market. All this is going on while you're talking a good game about the AtariBox, and how it's going to revolutionise retrogaming while building brand equity for the company. On the surface, that's not a terrible strategy - you've demonstrated that the company has some ability to execute on shoestring resources, and is looking ahead to future market opportunities. To a potential investor, that could appear interesting if not slightly promising. Cool.

Now, the gameband can suffer interminable delays as you seek smaller cash infusions to complete it because the speakerhat's already on the market. You made yourself look good by putting the latter item on the shelves, so to speak, but the gameband can be explained as a more ambitious stepping stone to the longer-term AtariBox trifecta. All you need is a little help so that you can really prove yourself - and, while you're finding that help, you can play the, "look at all these crowdfunders who have faith in us! It's like a ready-made market, and just think of the millions who didn't get in on the ground floor who are going to want one of these!" card.

(If I were a potential investor and heard that, I'd bolt straight for the nearest bullshit-free exit - but many wouldn't. For the sake of the argument, we'll assume that those same investors are still sticking around at this point.)

What AtariBoxCorp, Inc. does at this point is nothing. They keep the AtariBox hype alive, get the gameband onto the market, then wait a bit. Not long, but long enough to be able to show that they've delivered two products and successfully crowdfunded one. With luck, an investor with more money than sense will come along, pour a ton of cash into the AtariBox project, and thus allow AtariBoxCorp, Inc. to sidestep the need for crowdfunding.

That's the best-case scenario. Second-best case: AtariBox goes to crowdfunding as planned and one of two things happen:

1. Crowdfunding is successful, and that parlays into better potential investor interest on the crowdfunder faith angle.
  2. Crowdfunding fails, potential investor interest dwindles to nothing, and the whole thing goes total vapourware.

Either way, I may be giving AtariBoxCorp, Inc. too much credit. They could just be flailing at this if not blindly then at least with one eye that's semi-swollen shut. Frankly, I'm somewhat leaning more towards the latter, but I can also see where they might be taking the gamble on the other two products building up the third (and the brand).

• Like 5