IGNORED

Unearthed Files From Alcatraz BBS

Did you check it out to see what it is?

I did copy the hardback.hdr file to the H: drive and it claims to be 83 bytes but there are only two characters In the file.

If you mean the Deleted File on the MusicFiles.atr, then yep, it is 83 bytes in size and has "2" followed by a Carriage Return, then 80 spaces and another Carriage Return...

If you mean the Deleted File on the MusicFiles.atr, then yep, it is 83 bytes in size and has "2" followed by a Carriage Return, then 80 spaces and another Carriage Return...

I actually was referring to the dirbak. But when I got home I was able to run it.

Thanks for the info on the hardback.hdr file. I forgot I put that on that image and deleted it.

I guess no one. Can figure out what all those music files belong to?

OK, I have tried everything I can remember. (And I don't remember how I fixed my Harddrive when it crashed back in the 80s)

Here is the image of TuffHack.

It is SpartaDos format.

All I get is Error 135

There is information on the disk as I threw it in DiskWiz and it is showing info, but I can't seem to get anything out of it.

I will let the geniuses here work on it. Let me know if you guys have any luck,

Thanks!

Craig

TUFFHACK.atr

RainbowBox.atr

ATARI BASIC phone system hacking software of some sort.

Disk Directory

attachicon.gifrainbow-atr-dir-from-spartados3.2g.png

Splash Screen

attachicon.gifrainbow-splash.png

First Screen

attachicon.gifrainbow-screen1.png

Second Screen

attachicon.gifrainbow-screen2.png

Third Screen

attachicon.gifrainbow-screen3.png

Fourth (and last) Screen

attachicon.gifrainbow-screen4.png

Here is the ATARI BASIC Source Code:

attachicon.gifrainbow.lst.png

Uploaded to archive.org.

he he he Awesome..... I ain't sayin' another word... :)

• Like 1

The RainbowBox.atr program looks a bit like the whizzle that was used by Captain Crunch to use phoneboots. Red Box, Blue Box etc. many difrent small electronic boxes that produced special frequency to dial for free in public phoneboots. I guess, RainbowBox does the same. Never seen such a program on the Atari 8bit. It will be difficult to test, because analog telephony became obsolete 15 years ago... And the digital phonecentres cannot be tricked by the old frequency cheaters.

The add on boxes were hand made, and both the boxes and software worked together and very well....

• Like 1

Mindlink is a BBS program, Disk has Hayes and MPP versions on it.

Can you post a pic of the original disk?

Were you able to get any of the 3 BBS's to load? I got util.sys to load up thru Sparta 3.x

but the BBS's crash Altirra (in my set up) no matter which dos

Were you able to get any of the 3 BBS's to load? I got util.sys to load up thru Sparta 3.x

I tried to set up the phorem. As it needed all those files to be created. But that failed. I think part of my problem was I was using Spartados and it appears not too many of these bbs's (except express) likes to play nice with Sparta.

I know I got to the main screen of mindlink on my real 130xe, but I originally thought it was just a term program and I knew the r: handler didn't load (I have no 850 or p:r: connection) so I didn't go any further.

The bbs express files I have did load the the wait screen. But I can't remember if that was on altirra or my 130xe.

I would try copying all the files to a dos 2 disk (if it isn't already).

If I get a chance I will try it again.

Also, I just ordered the APE software for the sio2pc I have, so if you want the raw images (with the directory structure and compressed files) I can do that. I know phorem was in .dsk format. (Disk communicator).

Hopefully, I will get the ape software in the next 2 weeks or so.

Just let me know.

Edited by moonlight_mile

Did you check it out to see what it is?

I did copy the hardback.hdr file to the H: drive and it claims to be 83 bytes but there are only two characters In the file.

Here's the contents of dirbak2.doc from the .ARC:

Dir/Bak v1.1

by Ed Bachman .1987

Written for the Lehigh Valley

Atari Users Group. L.V.A.U.G.

Dir/Bak is a utility program that backs up the directory information on a hard drive using Sparta DOS. v3.2.

This utility will NOT back-up a floppy disk. You can,however,write your back-up data to a floppy. 2 seperate programs make up this utility, a back-up and a restore program. Both programs can be run in 2 ways. They can be run as a simple program that will prompt you for the needed information. Or, you can pass parameters from the DOS command line,and the program will execute without asking for input.(a nice feature when running out of a batchfile).

Dir/Bak outputs 2 data files. A sequence file,(using the *.SEQ extender) and a data file (using the *.REC extender). The actual file name is that of the volume name of the drive you back-up. NOTE:due to this feature, TRY to avoid having DOS wild-cards in your volume name,this program will change any lower-case or inverse characters to upper case, while spaces are ignored.Heres a chance to use that CHVOL.COM file that comes with the DOS.REMEMBER! try to use unique volume names as this allows you to make multi-drive back-ups from a batch file.

Running Dir/Bak.

As I mentioned earlier,there are 2 ways of running this file. Here we'll discuss the first. Type the filename from the command line, eg. D1:DIRBAK<RETURN>.

The file will run, and you will be prompted for the source and destination drives etc.

To run from a batch file simply add the "/" (parameters).

eg. D1:DIRBAK /23<RETURN>

The first number being the source drive,the second, the destination drive.

The 'Save file sector map' option

to make use of this option simply add a "slash S" </S> to the parameter as shown above.

eg. D1:DIRBAK /23/S<Return>

note: no space between parameters.

Running Dir/Bak restore.

running this program is identical to running the back-up program except it requires the filename of the data files you wish to use.(just the 8 character filename is needed,not the extender). The restore file WITH parameters will look like this.

eg. D1:DRESTORE /32 /HARDRIV1<RETURN>

The first number being the drive with the data files,the second, the drive you hope to save by running this utility on. And third, the filename of the datafiles (actually the volume name of the drive they were saved from).

>>>NOTICE<<<

This utility, like other programs of this sort, has the potential to be DISASTEROUS! if mis-used. CAUTION must be used when typing in drive assigns. PARTICULARLY with multiple hard drives as this utility has no way of checking what files belong to what drive YOU are responsible for that! and niether I nor LVAUG will be responsible for lost data thru the use of this program. This utility is meant simply as a little extra insurance against a drive crash, hopefully allowing the user the opportunity to save as much data as possible from the drive. This program does NOT repair bad files. Also bear in mind that any files put on the drive between the time the drive is backed-up by Dir/Bak, and the time that the restore file is run, WILL be lost. well thats about it, enjoy those hard drives! Any further questions or comments can be addressed to me on the NAC-ACK BBS 24hrs 300/1200 baud, 215-837-1813.

enjoy!

Ed.

• Like 1

I have had success with the Hayesv3.bbs on my incognito 800, but at times it's a hit and miss. Sometimes it will go in a loop showing garbage on the screen.

Same with the MPP version, the R-Verter version just hangs at the initial screen...

With the two that are working, I get a bunch of Error 130 and Error 170 messages, but if you press the [select] Button, it does sign into local mode.

I had to set Altirra to an XL machine to avoid the crash, weird it says 130XE supported. One thing I wish it says was "Please Wait" or "Stand by" once it completes its load, otherwise it looks like a hang. Anyway, yet another BBS program I've not heard of resurrected..

Thanks again to moonlight_mile for the treasures!

• Like 1

remember to turn off all hsio drivers and such..... even in the incognito... the reason being... it will translate between transactions even using the pbi .. the code interferes as a go between as has been tested with the note/ point functions in sparta and express.... at least that's what was needed to be done to get certain parts of the BBS to run as it failed to jump around within bases/email files for whatever reason... turning it off helped make it more stable...

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 1 year later...

Wow... I know this is an old thread - but *THIS* is why I love Atari Age so much.. I am a BBS software and hacking/phreaking app junkie for all 8 bit platforms, and there is so little of it that made its way to current day from the 80's for the Atari for whatever reason.. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

• Like 1