IGNORED

New keyboard membranes

Duddie

They are dual layer mylars, but with a small modification can replace a single-layer. All you need is a 62 pcs. set screw M3x5mm DIN913 for a dollar.

Several people already use such modified keyboards.

I have a single layer keyboard which needs replacement, can you explain this mod to fit a double layer one ? Im not aware of the exact differences.

I think that double layers are better in time, when I look at my 600XL Mylar, which is double sided, it shows clearly that where the Mylar is double the traces still look good, but the small part which is single that leads to the LeD is totally black....so oxidised I guess. I think the fact that the double molars are double doesnt allow (much) air to the tracks.

[EDIT] I think I got it....simply screw those set screws on top of the keys to extend the length ?

Do you have a source where you can get those screws for one dollar ? Aliexpress ?

Edited by Level42

Strormbringer: it is not a money issue, rather lack of time... Retronics is in fact only one-person company (plus helping hands of my wife). But I have started production, you will be the first person which receive mylar for free as a beta-tester.

Level 42: I have started production of 800 and XE single-layer mylars, next will be 1200XL and maybe 800XL. If there is still enough demand, I can make XE double-layer and 400. However, Simius produced a lot of them for XE.

post-37739-0-62412700-1538210318.png

post-37739-0-48768100-1538210333.png

• Like 10

Strormbringer: it is not a money issue, rather lack of time... Retronics is in fact only one-person company (plus helping hands of my wife). But I have started production, you will be the first person which receive mylar for free as a beta-tester.

Level 42: I have started production of 800 and XE single-layer mylars, next will be 1200XL and maybe 800XL. If there is still enough demand, I can make XE double-layer and 400. However, Simius produced a lot of them for XE.

That is awesome news Duddie !

I'll check but I will at least take one single layer XE and one 800 please. I may add a XE...need to check and let you know ASAP.

Thanks for producing these, I know how much work seemingly "simple" projects like this actually take a lot of time and effort.

Edited by Level42

I have a single layer keyboard which needs replacement, can you explain this mod to fit a double layer one ? Im not aware of the exact differences.

[EDIT] I think I got it....simply screw those set screws on top of the keys to extend the length ?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266604-new-keyboard-membranes/page-3?do=findComment&comment=4012724

Do you have a source where you can get those screws for one dollar ? Aliexpress ?

Yes, I have. Me.

• Like 1

I think I’ll be going the easiest route being the single layer one from Duddie. I wonder about those screws...compared to the normal underside of the keys, isn’t the metal very hard and maybe sharp ? Wouldn’t this damage the Mylar in the long run ?

• 4 weeks later...

I have started production of 800 and XE single-layer mylars, next will be 1200XL and maybe 800XL. If there is still enough demand, I can make XE double-layer and 400. However, Simius produced a lot of them for XE.

I would buy:

minimum 5 pieces 1200XL keyboard

minimum 5 pieces 800XL "stackpole" mylar keyboard

minimum 5 pieces XE doubly-layer mylar keyboard

Jurgen

The screws aren't sharp and don't touch the mylar.

Maybe I´m silly, but until today I have no suggestion how these screws and the single-layer mylar will work. The both pictures in the other thread don´t show really how they are assembled. Could you show any real example, please?

• Like 1

The web site does not give either of the full set prices...

The web site does not give a clear way to the store or where to buy...

If all this will sell there has to be easier and more understandable way to buy.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hello Duddie

Why don't you put some text on the mylars that tells us which computer they are intended for? Like for instance "XE single mylar", "1200XL", etc. Folks like Jürgen can probably recognize the mylars blindfolded, but many of us can't. And many of us have multiple versions of our beloved Atari 8 bit computers and would probably like to have mylars for a couple of them. Just in case... But in two years, most of us will not know which one goes where. That's when a couple of characters can be a big help.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

@_The Doctor_: Mylars are not yet available. That's why you cannot see them on my ebay. My website (www.retronics.eu) is very outdated, I am working on a new one with small shop there. But it takes time, as I am not experienced with websites building....

@Mathy: I could do it, but believe me - you will not be able to use wrong mylar...

@Kyle22: Mylar for Atari 800 will be available soon, 1200XL - a bit later. Other models? I think they are very rare, no chance for production. Maybe 1200XL mylar will be fine? I do not have 1400XL/1450XLD.

• Like 2

@_The Doctor_: Mylars are not yet available. That's why you cannot see them on my ebay. My website (www.retronics.eu) is very outdated, I am working on a new one with small shop there. But it takes time, as I am not experienced with websites building....

@Mathy: I could do it, but believe me - you will not be able to use wrong mylar...

@Kyle22: Mylar for Atari 800 will be available soon, 1200XL - a bit later. Other models? I think they are very rare, no chance for production. Maybe 1200XL mylar will be fine? I do not have 1400XL/1450XLD.

The 1400XL and 1450XLD use the exact same keyboards (and mylars) as the 1200XL.

:)

• Like 2

Hello Duddie

I know. But it's always nice if you can just read what's on the mylar instead of a) recognizing it right away or b) opening up a computer and it's keyboard to check out what the old one looks like. We're not getting younger, thinking you've got the right one and later finding out it wasn't gets easier every year. :D :D Then you sell the ones you didn't need to somebody who also thinks he's getting the correct one. Or you sell the ones you want to keep and keep the ones you want to sell. :-D

Sincerely

Mathy