Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy Review - Atari Jaguar

atari jaguar trevor mcfur jaguar review atari Trevor McFur in the Crescent

35 replies to this topic

#26 Atlantis OFFLINE  

Atlantis

Stargunner

• 1,028 posts

Posted Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:31 PM

Atari must have been desperate from day one, having this game as a release game - one of he two games at release!

It's sloppy, kind of bad, Odd-god made everything odd in the game, ha ha, it's a fun game and worth trying to finish.

I liked the review: well written without any boiling blood.

Edited by Atlantis, Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:32 PM.

#27 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,422 posts

Posted Sun Jul 2, 2017 1:31 AM

Nice review, seems well rounded and covers most of the important points.

Nice to see a review for this game that's not someone pissing and moaning about how bad it is :P

One negative people always harp on is "but the enemies are totally random" ( many are the same people that actually praise other games for having random modes)

Its not my favorite by far, but I did get enjoyment out of it, then again, I paid 5$ for it instead of whatever it was originally.

70 seems fair, still a passing grade but not at the top.

#28 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,965 posts

Posted Sun Jul 2, 2017 1:20 PM

One negative people always harp on is "but the enemies are totally random" ( many are the same people that actually praise other games for having random modes)

Are you really so dim that you don't understand the difference between pure chaotic randomness and the well-structured randomness that actually makes for good gameplay? Or are you just being deliberately disingenuous?

Games that offer random modes generally put a hell of a lot of logic into ensuring the result feels somewhat intelligently designed. Trevor McFur's levels do not feel designed at all.

#29 Sauron OFFLINE  

Sauron

Quadrunner

• 5,315 posts
  • In the land of Mordor.

Posted Sun Jul 2, 2017 1:47 PM

Are you really so dim that you don't understand the difference between pure chaotic randomness and the well-structured randomness that actually makes for good gameplay? Or are you just being deliberately disingenuous?

Games that offer random modes generally put a hell of a lot of logic into ensuring the result feels somewhat intelligently designed. Trevor McFur's levels do not feel designed at all.

Was that insult really necessary?

#30 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,965 posts

Posted Sun Jul 2, 2017 4:12 PM

It's Video. He's already forgotten it.

#31 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,852 posts

Posted Sun Jul 2, 2017 5:08 PM

@video

Just put him on ignore. That's what it's there for.

#32 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,422 posts

Posted Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:21 AM

LOL

#33 Isgoed OFFLINE  

Isgoed

Stargunner

• 1,432 posts

Posted Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:24 AM

Despite the comments that TmcF is difficult, dull, no rapid fire, no layers etc.etc. I will say that I like it :)

The game is not random, as every level has the exact same enemies coming at you in the exact same order.

Play the levels in a particular order to gather lots of power-ups, and use them all in the final level!  

#34 Adriano Arcade OFFLINE  

Adriano Arcade

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 136 posts

Posted Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:54 AM

Hi Guys, thanks all for reading my review and commenting. I didn't mean to open a whole can of worms. I wasn't offended by any comments to be honest, I will accept all comments - critical or in praise. Trevor McFur is a game that clearly divides people. I enjoyed it, but also agree with many of the more critical comments. Thanks again for your feedback. I will release a new Tempest 2000 review soon and will be sure to share on the AA forums.

#35 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,930 posts

Posted Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:06 AM

Nice guys, I think I ran out of my allotted "likes" I can dish out today with that thread derail. I think I might have to resubscribe.. :lolblue:

I've got a lot of issues with Trevor McFur. To be real though, it is a completely playable game and that's more than can be said for other "bottom-of-the-barrel" Jaguar releases. The big issue is that it simply manages to be supremely mediocre at about everything else it tries to do. It's something that may have passed in 1986, but by 1993 the genre had evolved considerably.

It's definitely not a favorite of mine nor one I recommend, but I don't have a problem if people like it.

#36 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,422 posts

Posted Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:40 AM

I think that's the deal. Its a hard game, and while showing potential, its simply over all lack luster. I play it quiet a bit and enjoy it. However I can see why people wouldn't like it, outside of the typical "not my genre" line.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atari jaguar, trevor mcfur, jaguar review, atari, Trevor McFur in the Crescent

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users