75 replies to this topic

#1 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:22 PM

Hello folks, 
This is my first and probably only batari game lol It is called T.R.A.S.H
It is still a WIP, far from finished, but hilarious enough to let people try it. Actually, it's a jittery piece of #### I have SO many bugs to fix and SO much has to be done and re-done yet.
I spent a good many hours over the winter building the game. Now summer is here I am taking a break from it. Will continue working on it again the fall/winter. Sorry to anyone who might care.
So as if now, I will post my TRASH :) feel free to say whatever, I understand it's hard on the eyes.

Basic Story concept so far:
Davy is an armed garbage man working for a corporation named T.R.A.S.H (Tactical Recycling And Security Headquarters). 
In a not so distance future all the trash and garbage has mutated into monsters and trashbots; Making Davy's job more dangerous, more fun.
Your job is to work the city, picking up garbage bags, destroying everything in your way. 

Controls:
left/right for walking
down to crouch/pick up items. 
up to aim/open garbage lid
space bar to shoot

Collect garbage bags for points and health. The garbage-can on your back will fill up as you collect bags, this is your health.
Each scene will be random-ish. The level will change every time you walk off screen, left or right. 

There is a hoodie droid, a trashcan eyeball, a monster that steals garbage from you. Stray cat(broken suppose to scratch at you,sorry)
And beware there is an Electrifying TV set running around and will kill you on touch.  

I've added my graphic sheet I been working from.(Original) If you play the game, all the characters are not there yet. But they are sprites I been toying with.

Have fun with it. No updates until fall, but will reply to constructive comments. Enjoy the summer! and don't litter.  

Edit: I forgot to mention two things. It is 8k if someone is wondering. 

set kernel_options player1colors pfheights
 set tv ntsc
 set romsize 8k

Also I have not tried this on an actual atari or with harmony cart. Let me know if you were able to try and it didn't explode or something. 

It would be proper of me to give a little credit to two people. Without the help of random terrains website, and the dedication of Papa trying to patiently explain to a complete stranger how to make a double sprite function, I wouldn't have anything to show you guys. Neither of those dudes had to do anything but offered help in their own way. THANK YOU. 

Attached Thumbnails

• scene.png
  • props.png

Attached Files

Edited by WizardBone, Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 PM.

#2 neotokeo2001 OFFLINE  

neotokeo2001

River Patroller

• 3,745 posts

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:36 PM

WOW! Nice looking game. Look forward to seeing more of this.

Posted in the FaceBook Group Atari 2600 Homebrew.

https://www.facebook...ari2600homebrew

#3 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:40 PM

Thank you Neotoke2001! I do not have facebook, so that's a nice thing of you! 

#4 Gregory DG OFFLINE  

Gregory DG

TAT IS BACK!

• 11,212 posts
  • Go Cardinals!

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:16 PM

Darn good! I like the graphics and the premise! Kind of reminds me of Alien Storm.

I kind of wish you could pick up the trash by walking over it. That would make going up / down easier. (But you'd lose the point of ducking down I suppose.)

#5 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:25 PM

Cool! glad you tried it out. I googled Alien Storm, it looks amazing. And I have to agree now I see it! nice call. 
I feel you on walking over trash bit. It's always a consideration to change sometime. The game was FIRST written so you could walking left right only, you couldn't go up and down on the road, more platform styled. so the crouch was needed for avoiding enemy bullets, now it's just a pick up and kinda avoid a bullet if lucky lol  

#6 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,203 posts

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:37 PM

The sprites look amazing. And I really like the idea of the character carrying his life meter around as a backpack. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before.

#7 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,916 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 PM

Do I wanna know what the naked lady sprite is about?

Since you started this out by short selling the game on how bad it was, I was pleasantly surprised at just how good this game is.  You've got the starter of a really fun and great looking game here.  Gives me a reason to look forward to the Fall!

Well done!

Edited by StanJr, Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:20 PM.

#8 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 PM

oh sweet! glad you like the sprites. They are the best part for me. Game play s lacking mostly. That's good to know the health is appealing to a player! It wasn't planned. I was having issues trying to get a health bar on top, and davy was standing next to a garbage can at the time and got the idea, so I thought it was cool enough and caused less flicker lol.

#9 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:17 PM

Bahaha the naked lady. She was gonna be a hologram type thing inside a building. Haven't started on going inside places yet. Not sure her purpose, right now for your viewing :P

Edit: I seen your edit so now I reply same way , I sell it short because I know people are professionals here. And the guts of it are horrible. and buggy bug bug. It's far from complete so I figured it's better to tell people up front it's far from perfect, instead of working it up to be what it's not. That kinda thing rubs people the wrong way.

By the time fall comes around I will be itching to get at it. I might before, dunno. But for now my brain needs a rest and work on other hobbies. IF you ever think of ways to improve between now and then, drop a line. There is no goal, just gonna go until I run out of rom space. I personally think I took on to much for my first game, here's to hoping it works out. 

Edited by WizardBone, Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:27 PM.

#10 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,916 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:31 PM

Been playing it for a bit.  Right now it seems like after 10+ screens I always get to a screen (going left or right, love that you can go both ways) where the walking TV spawns right atop me and instantly kills me.  One game I was doing really well, 25+ screens, and then whammo!  instant TV guy and dead.  

I love the idea of going into buildings and finding stuff, power-ups (maybe?) or just stuff worth bonus points.  Maybe the building interiors are where the tougher bad guys lurk protecting better trashure (see what I did there?).

Your naked lady reminds me of Porky's, only yours looks like an actual naked lady! :)

And don't sell yourself short.  You've got a great start here.  And all of the incredible programmers that hang around here started somewhere, just like you are.  And best of all, they are generally really awesome people who are more than happy to help you get to their level!

Really enjoying your start here, can't wait to see more!

:spidey:

#11 Jinroh ONLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• 540 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:35 AM

Super cool game! :)

I love the art direction. The gameplay is simple, but addicting as well. Going into buildings would be sweet as well, add an extra layer of exploration. ^^

Can't wait to see more. :)

Edited by Jinroh, Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:35 AM.

#12 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:58 AM

Stanjr, the walking TV is a MONSTER in all senses lolll The highest score I've gotten was something like 5000, and then as you said WHAM! instant death before you get a chance to run away or shoot at him. It's really unfair to the player, And makes me really angry when I am doing good haha It needs to be changed in time.Maybe make him a lil slower, only take halflife, and make sure he can NOT pop up like he does before you get to react. THAT MONSTER!

trashure is a hilarious word. Can I use it for the game? perhaps use it in the manual when all is said and done? Also, you nailed it, inside is where I want different power-ups, and trashure to pick up, stronger bad dudes (maybe a mini boss or something?) 

I really appreciate you actually playing it with real effort! gives me more reason to look forward to continue! Thank for your feedback man!  BTW I just got home from wok, sorry for the late reply. 

#13 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:01 PM

Jinroh, Thank you for playing! :)

I glad you like the art, I am more artist then programmer I think? so I have been wondering if the gameplay was too simple or not. Anything you would do differently? 
Exploration is the next big step. I think it would make it more interesting and make the city seem bigger :):) 

#14 Jinroh ONLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• 540 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:12 PM

I think given the limitation you have it well designed without being over designed.

Picking up Garbage Bags, opening cans, and picking bags from cans gives the player plenty to do when not blasting the monsters. It gives different required actions while being able to re-use existing assets so it's clever. :)

If you add exploring buildings or something being able to find the naked women holograms or rescuing humans to add a another layer of the collecting would be cool, and give the player something to hunt for.

Edited by Jinroh, Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 PM.

#15 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:21 PM

That is an interesting topic I'd like to talk about as time goes on. I'm glad you brought it up. An overall goal is indeed needed. As of now he is cruising the city picking up trash and blasting. But something like saving humans is a good idea. Maybe sometimes they are locked in a cage, which is why you would need to find colored keys maybe? I once had a thought the trash monsters kidnapped his kids, so he has to find them haha. Who knows! rescuing humans is also a good one. Maybe both? 

There are other project files, perhaps I will throw them up here on the topic one day. They are lil sections of ideas I was working out. One idea was reusing his garbage can as a jet pack. It works good enough, just didn't have anywhere to add it in yet. What happens is instead of walking left and right, it gave you the option to fly upward to get on top of a buildings. The main issue is limitation. So man ideas that may never all fit ! Thanks for bringing up saving humans, I like that! might be able to work it in : ). 

Edit: there is also a thing not included yet but worked out-ish. Sometimes when you open a can, a monster will pop out. So it's not always a safe bet to open them hehe

Edited by WizardBone, Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:40 PM.

#16 Jinroh ONLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• 540 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:49 PM

Yeah that sounds good! Humans in cages or trapped with coloured keys would lend itself nicely to some backtracking. ^^

The idea of flying up to the buildings is neat as well, or maybe there could also be a SHMUP style level where he has to take down a large 48-pixel garbage monster the size of a building. So he has to fly up and shoot its head.

#17 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:02 PM

Wow, this is great. Love the huge colourful characters and the way aiming your weapon is handled. I'll be watching for developments on this one. :-) Love it!

#18 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:02 PM

You know, you keep triggering interesting ideas. lol When you say fly up to shoot it's head it made me think of something. Remember contra? how the bosses body was the background and it's head or arms would be like moving sprites to destroy. I can totally see flying on a jetpack and making a huge monster that way. It would be HUGE like a building as you say. HMM

#19 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:08 PM

Well thank you cimmerian! You guys are really cool man. I'm glad you like the sprites. They were the reason I wanted to make the game honestly. How do you feel the crouch if you don't mind me asking. I still agree with a comment above, it's not really necessary but fits nicely with the aiming. 

#20 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,916 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:46 PM

I really like the idea of the occasional monster popping out of the trash can instead of trashure (and yes, feel free to use it as you see fit!).

Overall goal could be as simple as defeat X number of boss monsters to free the city of their stinky rule.  Rescuing people along the way could be the way to score major points or something.  I kind of like the idea of a single life, how far can you make it, kind of concept.  

The 2600 can be unforgiving in terms of what you can't do, but use those limitations to squeeze out every last drop of what you can do and you'll have a great game.

:spidey:

#21 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

River Patroller

• 4,700 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:22 PM

I tried your TRASH and I liked it. I hope to see more TRASH in the future ;)

BTW, nice animations!

#22 Jinroh ONLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• 540 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:16 AM

Totally I was thinking something like Contra when I was thinking up ideas. It would be killer to have some more big bosses on the VCS. :)

You know, you keep triggering interesting ideas. lol When you say fly up to shoot it's head it made me think of something. Remember contra? how the bosses body was the background and it's head or arms would be like moving sprites to destroy. I can totally see flying on a jetpack and making a huge monster that way. It would be HUGE like a building as you say. HMM

#23 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:49 AM

Thank you nanochess! Happy you like my trash loll

#24 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 AM

It would be killer to have some more big bosses on the VCS. :)

YESSS, do you know of any that have them? I'd like to see how it looks on vcs. 

#25 WizardBone OFFLINE  

WizardBone

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:11 PM

kind of like the idea of a single life, how far can you make it, kind of concept.  

I agree there, I like having one life a well. Run and gun for your life!!! loll

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users