Photo

pfheights broken in current bB build?

9 replies to this topic

#1 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Chopper Commander

• 165 posts

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:42 PM

It seems that if the pfheights kernel option is specified, then regardless of what the row heights are set to (or even if they are unset), the screen will row as if the scanline count is being exceeded (which is what appears to happen when I check in Stella).

Here is a simple "hello world" with the pfheights kernel option.  Is there an issue with this option, or am I missing something obvious here?

Attached Files

#2 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• 4,675 posts
  • Bitnik

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:54 PM

Which version of stella?

I'm running your bin in 5.0.0-pre4, and it looks to be a solid 262 lines.

#3 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:09 PM

5.0.0 pre9 on Mac OS X.  I'll try reverting to an earlier version and see what happens.

#4 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:20 PM

I get the same behavior with Stella 4.7.2.  I may have attached the wrong files since I have multiple copies.  Trying again.

Attached Files

#5 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:27 PM

Okay; in my simple example, I can only recreate the problem if I don't specify the row height, it seems.  I have a larger project that that doesn't fix, though.  I'll tinker with it a bit more and see if it's my code that's the issue.  I may be back if I can't figure it out.  :-)

#6 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:45 PM

RevEng helped me fix the problem.  In case it helps anyone else: if you use the titlescreen kernel and pfheights, be sure to define or redefine the heights after exiting from the titlescreen.

#7 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,082 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sat Jul 1, 2017 7:04 PM

RevEng helped me fix the problem.  In case it helps anyone else: if you use the titlescreen kernel and pfheights, be sure to define or redefine the heights after exiting from the titlescreen.

Thanks. I just updated that section. How is this:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#titlescreen_kernel

#8 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted Sun Jul 2, 2017 6:50 AM

Looks good to me!

#9 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted Fri Jul 7, 2017 10:37 AM

Speaking of pfheights and RT's bB page, the latter has this note about pfheights:

Note: At this time, if the first row isn't 8, things might not work quite correctly. This problem is being worked on.

This limitation no longer seems to be true, or at least it works fine for me when I specify a different value for the first row myself.

#10 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,082 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:51 PM

Speaking of pfheights and RT's bB page, the latter has this note about pfheights:

This limitation no longer seems to be true, or at least it works fine for me when I specify a different value for the first row myself.

Thanks. If RevEng gets a chance to confirm it, I'll delete that note.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users