IGNORED

Atari 5200 2 port power issue

Jpc18

https://atariage.com/5200/archives/schematics/Schematic_5200_RFSwitch_Low.html (note this is 4 port version, 95% same with 2 port version)

May need to trace the power. Check the power switch IC 4013 which should be near the switch button. Pin 7 and 14 should be showing around 11-12V DC. If not, the problem is between the power in jack the the IC including a few resistors and couple transistors. Shorted transistor or burned resistor would prevent power from getting through.

If you are getting power at the IC, check pin 1 and 2 of the 7805 regulator (both of them), If there's no power, and you are getting "HIGH" signal from pin 13 of 4013 IC, one of the transistor isn't turning on or in one of the regulator, a dirty cart slot not making contact between 2 pins. If the 4013 is stuck LOW, either 4013 is bad or the switch is not working at all.

If you are getting power all the way to both 7805 regulators, check that you are getting 5v out on pin 3. If it's 0, replace the regulator. If it's 5v, pray you don't have a dead CPU or other big important chip.

• Like 1

I'm glad you posted that pic. The first one up above showing where VR1 is. The silkscreen is wrong. I and O labels are backwards which has been throwing the whole troubleshooting off. The short must be on the output side if you were checking it by the "I" label on the board. Looking at the front of the regulator from left to right is Input, Ground, Output in that order. The silkscreen labeling is backwards due to an error apparently. Also you can confirm what I'm saying by the schematic where C43 is across the Input and Ground of VR1, just as in the picture, they just have it labeled wrong on the board.

Thanks for verifying that the "O" and "I" labels for VR1 and VR2 on the silkscreen are backwards (5200 2-port). I've been trying to figure if had I put the VR's in backwards, suspected that the silkscreen might be wrong...