7 members have voted

1. 1. Vote and Play

• Trolls 'n Tribulations
    • Whistler's Brother
    • Gumball
    • Shamus: Case II
    • Drol

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I've taken over for this round :evil: Here are 5 of my favourites to pick from. Poll ends after current round (Defender & DiamondZ 2).

trolls_and_tribulations.png

Trolls 'n Tribulations - part platformer, part Cretin blaster :)

Atarimania Info

whistlers_brother.png

Whistler's Brother part platformer, part whistling the blind bloke to his doom :love:

Atarimania Info

gumball.png

Gumball - part mechanical breakdown, part darn balls :-o

Check XEX version has intermissions.

Atarimania Info

shamus_case_ii.png

Shamus Case II - part Shamus part very, very strange :thumbsup:

Strong candidate for best game never played in the HSC.

drol.png

Drol - part intense scrolling shooter, part very intense scrolling shooter :-o

I always liked the "mono" version, nice artifacting on PAL. Still need a version that saves the high scores and ideally one where they are reset to give us a chance to get them on there!

More screenshots of Whistler and Trolls 'n Tribulations:

post-19705-0-38048300-1499284926.pngpost-19705-0-98099000-1499284935.png

post-19705-0-81780200-1499284876_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-97700100-1499284885_thumb.jpg

Lots of good games but this would be the perfect occasion to give Shamus Case II another try. With Shamus being my favourite single-player Atari game ever, I really need to give Case II a more thorough try. Got one from the US in 1983/4 but never could get it to run on my PAL 800 - still don't know why - and even returned it to the US, so it's now or never ;)

• Like 1

Although I've only been an Atari user for 10 years, I found that all those five games were available on the C64 as well. The Atarimania and Lemon64 user scores on respective are pretty consistent, which suggests they're all quite playable on both systems, something that not always is the case. Yet I must admit Shamus Case II is the only one I've previously encountered. However after watching some gameplay videos to familiarize myself with the options, I opted for one of those I haven't played before.

By the way when I saw the Gumball screenshot, my first thought went to Apple Cider Spider (which I understand is MIA on the Atari) by Sierra On-Line. Obviously the two games have entirely different gameplay and now when I compare the two side by side, they don't look that much alike, just my foggy memory suggesting they do.

• Like 1

BTW, has anyone ever seen a cartridge version of Shamus: Case II in the wild? It is mentioned in the manual but not listed on Atarimania and I have never seen any on eBay (although I am not a cart collector).

Edited by slx

Lots of good games but this would be the perfect occasion to give Shamus Case II another try. With Shamus being my favourite single-player Atari game ever, I really need to give Case II a more thorough try. Got one from the US in 1983/4 but never could get it to run on my PAL 800 - still don't know why - and even returned it to the US, so it's now or never ;)

I've just found my Transdisk 2.1 copy and I'd drawn a T on the label so it may need the OSA translator running :)

I think most Synapse titles need a translator because of a bug in the title sound routine. Shamus (original) locks up on XLs unless you keep START pressed while loading which bypasses the title screen and dumps you directly into the difficulty select screen.

Why it didn't work on my plain 800 I still don't know.

• Like 1