Photo

Football: Realsports Soccer....by Taito?

2 replies to this topic

#1 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Habitual Line Stepper

• 5,744 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 PM

Just noticed this last night when I was rifling through some cartridges. "Football" is an interesting enough label variation of Realsports Soccer (presumably changed to broaden international appeal?), but I never noticed before that there's a line at the bottom that reads: "* Trademark of Taito of America Corp."

AtariRSSoccerM(g).jpg

My best guess is the Taito stuff came from the Space Invaders label and it somehow got mixed up and put onto "Football." (There's no * anywhere to reference, anyway! :P ) Taito obviously had nothing to do with Realsports Soccer (right?) and Atari never licensed any other Taito arcade games for the 2600, to my knowledge.

Gotta love Atari Corp. :-D

Edited by BassGuitari, Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:49 PM.

#2 Rom Hunter OFFLINE  

Rom Hunter

VCS Games Archivist

• 8,566 posts
  • Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:20 PM

Just noticed this last night when I was rifling through some cartridges. "Football" is an interesting enough label variation of Realsports Soccer (presumably changed to broaden international appeal?), but I never noticed before that there's a line at the bottom that reads: "* Trademark of Taito of America Corp."

AtariRSSoccerM(g).jpg

My best guess is the Taito stuff came from the Space Invaders label and it somehow got mixed up and put onto "Football." (There's no * anywhere to reference, anyway! :P ) Taito obviously had nothing to do with Realsports Soccer (right?) and Atari never licensed any other Taito arcade games for the 2600, to my knowledge.

Gotta love Atari Corp. :-D

Yes, that must be a misprint.

Jungle Hunt was Taito, btw. (Zoo Keeper and Elevator Action too)

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter, Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:31 PM.

#3 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Habitual Line Stepper

• Topic Starter
  • 5,744 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:07 PM

Jungle Hunt was Taito, btw. (Zoo Keeper and Elevator Action too)

8)

Ah, yes, you're right. I forgot about Jungle King Hunt. :)

(I don't count prototypes and repros though.)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users