Photo

Could the release of Black Ice/White Noise saved the Jaguar and Atari?

atari jaguar black ice white noise biwn jag cd

106 replies to this topic

#101 VintageGamer74 OFFLINE  

VintageGamer74

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 2:04 PM

It just seems from what I have through the years that the only thing that would saved the Jaguar was a competent and flush with money Atari who actually helped developers. It wasn't the hardware. It was the lack of triple A software that hurt it.

I was so jazzed when I got but I just didn't see much in the terms of software that made me think it was that much better than Super NES or the Gensis. My two cents.

#102 Zerosquare OFFLINE  

Zerosquare

River Patroller

• 2,791 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 7:44 PM

It was the lack of triple A software that hurt it.

That.

And bad management.

And lack of advertising.

And poor relations with developers and retailers.

And competing against a 800-pound gorilla (Sony).

And really low budgets and team sizes compared to competitors.

And Atari running out of money.

And...

To succeed in the marketplace, what the Jaguar needed was a miracle.

Edited by Zerosquare, Fri Nov 9, 2018 7:45 PM.

#103 VintageGamer74 OFFLINE  

VintageGamer74

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 7:59 PM

Totally agree. Doesn't matter anyway. Atari, for all intents and purposes, is dead. Just nice to see people producing, games, controllers and other goodies for the Jag!

#104 82-T/A ONLINE  

82-T/A

River Patroller

• 4,670 posts

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2018 10:19 AM

This was a game that I really thought could have been really cool on the Jaguar.

The Atari Jaguar... totally from my perspective, tried to appeal to that "future punk" sort of... Blade Runner type of theme. The Jaguar really played itself as an advanced system that was something of the future. 

A game like Black Ice / White Noise would have fit nicely into that. But... yeah... what can I say, I'm no expert. Atari just had too many issues and while the system was very cool, it was easily superceded by other systems. It had the same kind of fate as the Sega Saturn, in my opinion. 

#105 madman OFFLINE  

madman

River Patroller

• 2,873 posts

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2018 10:15 PM

It had the same kind of fate as the Sega Saturn, in my opinion. 

Minus the success in Japan and excellent arcade ports.

#106 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,275 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2018 3:45 PM

I don't get the Saturn comparison either, I'm afraid.  It had almost 1,000 more games, sold nearly 9 million more units, and had wide-ranging support and industry respect versus the Jaguar. About the only ways I can think it was somewhat similar with the Jaguar was that some of its early software was rushed and buggy and it was lacking some of the 3D features in hardware a system like the PS1 had built-in. Otherwise, there's nothing else I can really think was the same or similar. 

#107 madman OFFLINE  

madman

River Patroller

• 2,873 posts

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2018 6:20 PM

I don't get the Saturn comparison either, I'm afraid.  It had almost 1,000 more games, sold nearly 9 million more units, and had wide-ranging support and industry respect versus the Jaguar. About the only ways I can think it was somewhat similar with the Jaguar was that some of its early software was rushed and buggy and it was lacking some of the 3D features in hardware a system like the PS1 had built-in. Otherwise, there's nothing else I can really think was the same or similar. 

I agree, even if you talk US Saturn sales vs the Jag, it's not even close. Sure the Saturn got clobbered, but there are a TON of great games on the system. Even more if you expand into the imports.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atari jaguar, black ice white noise, biwn, jag cd

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users