IGNORED

Like a child in a candy store - USB To RS232/TTL PL2303HX SIO2PC

NISMOPC

OK, not new to the Atari era, but rekindling my childhood.

Recently unpacked my 800XL and 1050 Drive that's been in my possession since it was new day one. All works perfectly.

I then purchased a 65XE from ebay (estate sale) and swapped all the memory chips for sockets and new "old stock" TEXAS INSTRUMENTS TMS4164-15NL. Several of the original chips were shot. All works perfectly.

I followed that up with a Monitor to Audio/Video cable that I also purchased on ebay for a couple bucks. Connected to a 16" flat screen LCD TV.

Then, for shniggles and to keep things cheap, I purchased a USB To RS232/TTL PL2303HX Cable Adapter for a couple bucks off ebay and using documentation online, plugged the wires into TXD, RXD and Ground pins the back of the 65XE SIO socket.

I've installed both AspeQt and RespeQt. They both work flawlessly, but only at 19200 baud. I completely expected that due to the cheap "generic" cable I am using and no handshake capabilities.

Overall, extremely pleased with the outcome and now it's time to get my game on. So many games, so much time.

Quick shot of the USB to Serial cable plugged into the 65XE. I removed the clip covers to allow the smaller clips to fit the SIO pins. To protect them from touching each other, I also used heat shrink to cover the bare metal clips.

SIO2PC_01

SIO2PC_02

And full set-up in action...

SIO2PC_03

• Like 8

I have no direct experience with the Prolific PL2303 TTL to USB serial chip but know it isn't as well regarded as the FTDI FT232 chip.

The Atari hi-speed SIO routines don't line up with standard RS232 connection speeds, and the FT232RL is able to handle these non-standard speeds better than others.

OK, not new to the Atari era, but rekindling my childhood.

Recently unpacked my 800XL and 1050 Drive that's been in my possession since it was new day one. All works perfectly.

I then purchased a 65XE from ebay (estate sale) and swapped all the memory chips for sockets and new "old stock" TEXAS INSTRUMENTS TMS4164-15NL. Several of the original chips were shot. All works perfectly.

I followed that up with a Monitor to Audio/Video cable that I also purchased on ebay for a couple bucks. Connected to a 16" flat screen LCD TV.

Then, for shniggles and to keep things cheap, I purchased a USB To RS232/TTL PL2303HX Cable Adapter for a couple bucks off ebay and using documentation online, plugged the wires into TXD, RXD and Ground pins the back of the 65XE SIO socket.

I've installed both AspeQt and RespeQt. They both work flawlessly, but only at 19200 baud. I completely expected that due to the cheap "generic" cable I am using and no handshake capabilities.

Overall, extremely pleased with the outcome and now it's time to get my game on. So many games, so much time.

Quick shot of the USB to Serial cable plugged into the 65XE. I removed the clip covers to allow the smaller clips to fit the SIO pins. To protect them from touching each other, I also used heat shrink to cover the bare metal clips.

And full set-up in action...

You might be able to get handshaking if you test connect your last wire to Pin 7 and/or Pin 9 of the Sio plug.

I plan to go with a prebuilt like Lotharek offers or built an FTDI using breakout board. This was just something a wanted to play around with for a couple bucks.

Best part is it does work and cost me a whopping $4.36 US shipped. Pretty cheap fun.

• Like 1

I plan to go with a prebuilt like Lotharek offers or built an FTDI using breakout board. This was just something a wanted to play around with for a couple bucks.

Best part is it does work and cost me a whopping $4.36 US shipped. Pretty cheap fun.

If you're willing to wait for the slow boat from China you can get FT232RL breakout boards for similar prices as well.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ft232rl+breakout&_sop=15

I have no direct experience with the Prolific PL2303 TTL to USB serial chip but know it isn't as well regarded as the FTDI FT232

Fully understood. Read on them in depth. RS232 is definitely not the most optimized route. This is just the beginning. Still learning. More to come...

Edited by NISMOPC