800XL troubleshoot video monitor

5 replies to this topic

#1 Ganesha303 OFFLINE  

Ganesha303

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:40 AM

Hi guys!

I dug out my 800XL from my mom's house this past week and hooked it up to my Plasma TV using one of these Atari to Composite cables:

https://www.8bitclas...arch=AXL-SVIDEO

However I cannot get it to work. The 800XL power light comes on but the TV just says no signal. I tried with both composite (Yellow, Red, White) and S-Video connections on the cables, and also tried composite on another LCDTV in the house. I also have two of the same cable converters linked above and both had same results. Same thing for all tests, "no signal" on TV.

I am not sure what to do next. Is it likely that there is an issue with the monitor out on the 800XL? Or is it just that my TV's cannot recognize the signal?  Maybe I need a different converter? What steps should I take next?

I appreciate your help 8-biters!

Gabriel

#2 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 14,971 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 AM

800XL by default didn't include the chroma output (can be added with some wire, resistor and bit of soldering) so unless you've got the mod will have to suffer with the composite output.

Do you get audio (keyclick should go through the TV too) although some TVs won't do the audio if the video signal isn't present.

Often you can check if there's a valid video signal coming out by plugging the cable into the audio input - a high pitched buzz means there's a signal being sent.

Maybe before digging too deeply you could just check the RF output - the channel will vary depending on origin of the machine, probably UHF for UK/EU or Channel 1 or 2 for US/AU.

#3 NISMOPC OFFLINE  

NISMOPC

Space Invader

• 31 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 AM

I purchased this version and although you would assume the red or white to be audio out. Neither were. The black RCA is actually mono audio out. Used an RCA y-adapter to get sound from both speakers.

You might have a similar issue with video out (yellow). Just a thought.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by NISMOPC, Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:33 AM.

#4 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

Stargunner

• 1,972 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:57 AM

I purchased this version and although you would assume the red or white to be audio out. Neither were. The black RCA is actually mono audio out. Used an RCA y-adapter to get sound from both speakers.

You might have a similar issue with video out (yellow). Just a thought.

s-l1600.jpg

I have that cable too. Got no idea why they went so non-standard with the colors. Anyway, regarding audio, most TVs are designed to take mono audio from one input and fees it to both speakers in the event the two separate audio inputs are not used. Usually that’s the white input on American TVs. So plugging a single channel input there will give you sound from both speakers, while plugging in two cables (white and red) will allow the TV output stereo.

#5 Ganesha303 OFFLINE  

Ganesha303

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:35 PM

800XL by default didn't include the chroma output (can be added with some wire, resistor and bit of soldering) so unless you've got the mod will have to suffer with the composite output.

Do you get audio (keyclick should go through the TV too) although some TVs won't do the audio if the video signal isn't present.

Often you can check if there's a valid video signal coming out by plugging the cable into the audio input - a high pitched buzz means there's a signal being sent.

Maybe before digging too deeply you could just check the RF output - the channel will vary depending on origin of the machine, probably UHF for UK/EU or Channel 1 or 2 for US/AU.

Thanks for the quick response!

RF output is how it would connect to a tv with the little switch box, right? How would I hook that up now? Is there a special adapter I need to buy??

Also, FYI I did not get audio at all. I will try the video in the audio in though.

#6 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

Stargunner

• 1,972 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:28 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

RF output is how it would connect to a tv with the little switch box, right? How would I hook that up now? Is there a special adapter I need to buy??

Also, FYI I did not get audio at all. I will try the video in the audio in though.

If your TV has a coax jack, you can either use an old-fashioned mechanical switchbox (not one of the later NES-type automatic switches), or a female RCA-to-male F-type coax adapter. Basically, you plug an RF cable from the output of the Atari into the female RCA end, then screw the coax adapter end to the coax jack on the TV. Tune the TV to whatever the Atari is set to output and you're good to go. These little adapters are super cheap, available online all over the place.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 800XL, troubleshoot, video, monitor

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users