IGNORED

PSP emulation help via Mac?

Good_Times

I've got a few units that were done FOR me years ago, but I've grown bored with many of the selections and would like a (nearly) complete overhaul. I used to be able to fetch my own roms/isos, buuuuut: I've forgotten most of it, and those muffled/annoying YouTube videos are of no help at all; it's like a pack of obnoxious teens trying to explain the ramifications of skate park life to Fred Sanford, sigh. And, that was on my old Windows machine, I'm currently on a Mac.

Windows was so easy - plug and go and a little menu popped up - the way this Mac does it, I can't even friggin SEE what's what ffs - when I plug in the PSP/USB, it doesn't even show up! :?

To avoid getting into conversations that might contain potential 'no-nos', I'd prefer any and all aid be done via PM, please. I'm so utterly inept at this stuff that I might end up unintentionally blurting out who-knows-what and breaking a bunch of house rules.

Thanks!

Edited by Good_Times

I haven't messed with this stuff in ages, either. PSP isn't the only game in town for emulators. I've bought so much legit PSN stuff, I don't have patience for the underground shenanigans either.

I would get a virtual Windows machine to make this easier. Parallels is easier, but VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) is free. Once you have that going (bring your own Windows), you should be in better shape to follow the tutorials out there. Performance on this under the host Mac OS will be sufficient for what you need to do.

I would get a virtual Windows machine to make this easier. Parallels is easier, but VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) is free. Once you have that going (bring your own Windows), you should be in better shape to follow the tutorials out there. Performance on this under the host Mac OS will be sufficient for what you need to do.

Sorry man, I don't understand 75% of this. Virtual Windows? Parallels? Host OSs? (shrug)

Did I mention that I turn the computer on, check the news and weather, and fiddle around with YouTube and video game/action figure crap?

;)

Are you asking about installing emulators on the PSP using a Mac or are you looking for a way emulate a PSP on a Mac? (I think you are asking the former, but I am not sure...).

The former, yes. It was so easy on Windows, a little window would pop right up with the whole PSP jazz, but this Mac nonsense sucks balls. As I mentioned, these were done for me years ago, so I've kind of been 'stuck in time' with them. (Not complaining, per se, as I've got tons of games that I love and play regularly, but I've really been wanting to do some freshening up, namely MAME stuff and others.)

I've also got a chip filled with some of my favorite 70s and 80s films, which I love, but I'd sure like MORE of the same....I need a new tech guy. :_(

Sorry man, I don't understand 75% of this. Virtual Windows? Parallels? Host OSs? (shrug)

Did I mention that I turn the computer on, check the news and weather, and fiddle around with YouTube and video game/action figure crap?

;)

The former, yes. It was so easy on Windows, a little window would pop right up with the whole PSP jazz, but this Mac nonsense sucks balls. As I mentioned, these were done for me years ago, so I've kind of been 'stuck in time' with them. (Not complaining, per se, as I've got tons of games that I love and play regularly, but I've really been wanting to do some freshening up, namely MAME stuff and others.)

I've also got a chip filled with some of my favorite 70s and 80s films, which I love, but I'd sure like MORE of the same....I need a new tech guy. :_(

I am going to have to consult my memory, which may not be reliable. I had my PSP all set up and used my Mac to do it, but that was a few years ago. I do remember having a few PC programs I had to use, but they ran under Crossover (a commercial version of WINE). WINE itself allows some Windows programs to run without having to install Windows.

I am going to have to consult my memory, which may not be reliable. I had my PSP all set up and used my Mac to do it, but that was a few years ago. I do remember having a few PC programs I had to use, but they ran under Crossover (a commercial version of WINE). WINE itself allows some Windows programs to run without having to install Windows.

Ah, gotcha. Have you still got a PSP to relearn/practice on, or?

If not, would you be up for receiving an 'instructional unit' with the (obvious) intent of helping me?

"WINE"? We talking MD 20/20 or the good stuff?

There is going to be some serious constraints on my time soon. I coach and referee youth soccer, and once that gets going, I'm lucky to have a round of space invaders.

One thing I do remember... I didn't just plug in my PSP in... you see nothing as you found out. I used a memory card reader that had a slot for those Sony memory cards and transferred files to that. I used Pro CFW 6.60, and since I used to have a PSP 3000, I had to load the custom firmware every time I turned it off.

Any USB memory card reader that reads multiple types of memory cards should be able to read those Sony cards (memory stick pro duo I think they were called). Search around on Amazon.

There is going to be some serious constraints on my time soon. I coach and referee youth soccer, and once that gets going, I'm lucky to have a round of space invaders.

One thing I do remember... I didn't just plug in my PSP in... you see nothing as you found out. I used a memory card reader that had a slot for those Sony memory cards and transferred files to that. I used Pro CFW 6.60, and since I used to have a PSP 3000, I had to load the custom firmware every time I turned it off.

Any USB memory card reader that reads multiple types of memory cards should be able to read those Sony cards (memory stick pro duo I think they were called). Search around on Amazon.

I'll check on that stuff, thanks.

I will do it for you. My fee is $500. Fifty bucks to do the load up, $450 to answer stupid questions and to try to explain it to you in a way you can understand and remember so you can do it yourself.

:-P

"Teach 'em to fish" --me

So first you wanted someone to redo your PSP for you, and now you want someone to erase your request?

Cowboy up and do it yourself. Heaven helps those who help themselves.

Quoting biblical stuff (lol) in an obviously condescending and insulting way followed by telling me to be a "cowboy"? Yikes. And here I was thinking you might be one of the good ones - ya know, the non-snarky/decent folks?

I'm beginning to remember why I stopped frequenting this forum, sigh....

Quoting biblical stuff (lol) in an obviously condescending and insulting way followed by telling me to be a "cowboy"? Yikes. And here I was thinking you might be one of the good ones - ya know, the non-snarky/decent folks?

I'm beginning to remember why I stopped frequenting this forum, sigh....

Nope, I'm a raging asshole, but at least I'm somewhat self-reliant. :P

From what I've read macs should recognise the psp the same as windows. Two things to check: (1) the psp has a formatted memory card (2) "USB Auto Connect" is on in PSP settings > system settings

If it doesn't work, test on another computer. If it does work you should be able to browse the file system on the PSP and write files.