Photo

Keyboard 'B' Key Stopped Working

10 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest ONLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 26,553 posts

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:41 PM

Just today the B key on my keyboard stopped working.  Any idea why this might be and how to fix it?  It's a later beige model keyboard if that matters. 

I don't think it's dirty, because no matte how many times I hit it it never works.

#2 Tempest ONLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,553 posts

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:04 PM

I just noticed that one of the wires from the keyboard has detached from the clip thing on the motherboard they go into.  I can't exactly tell what that thing is, but it looks more like a wire 'clip' or something rather than something they're soldered into.  Are they actually soldered into that thing or do they just somehow clip in?

#3 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,557 posts

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:35 PM

likely a wire is loose/broken or the mylar is stuck, which keyboard do you have? look at my faq post pinned at the top of the forum for the types..

they usually clip in to the connector..

#4 helocast OFFLINE  

helocast

Chopper Commander

• 100 posts

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:22 PM

Attached File  keyboard.JPG   237.56KB   1 downloads

Just today the B key on my keyboard stopped working.  Any idea why this might be and how to fix it?  It's a later beige model keyboard if that matters.

It's great you got the troubleshooting down to a connector wire. Frankly I would have expected more based on common scan column and row.

#5 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Moonsweeper

• 436 posts

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:09 PM

When a key on my beige boards stop working, it's usually the key itself. Hammering on it frantically restores functionality.

#6 Tempest ONLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,553 posts

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:24 PM

Now the system won't power on.  I have no idea what I did to it, but I'm getting nothing.  I wonder if I'm not better off just buying a new one?

#7 Tempest ONLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,553 posts

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:34 PM

Update:  My power supply went bad, so I need to fix that before I can fix the B key. 

My keyboard mech is an ALPS one (green circuit board).  I can pop the key cap off and see a little key mech underneath, but I have no idea what to do from there to fix it.  It looks like it has two little push tabs on either side, does this mean it can be popped out? 

EDIT: ok it appears that the B key is intermittent, not broken.  Not sure how to fix that.  It works just fine for a while then stops for a few key presses, then works again.  Any ideas?

#8 Tempest ONLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,553 posts

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:48 PM

Looks like some contact cleaner fixed the issue. 

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement fuse thing?  The reason my power supply wasn't working was because the fuse had blown.

#9 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,557 posts

Posted Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:26 AM

the external power supply?  I sell working ones if you decide it's not worth the effort, which power supply do you have? there were 3-4 different ones..

Greg

#10 Tempest ONLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• Topic Starter
  • 26,553 posts

Posted Tue Aug 8, 2017 7:27 AM

the external power supply?  I sell working ones if you decide it's not worth the effort, which power supply do you have? there were 3-4 different ones..

Greg

Not sure.  IIRC it was black, didn't have the embossed TI logo, had a green 'checked' sticker, and of course that fuse thing.  It seems to be working just fine without the fuse pack though.

#11 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,557 posts

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:32 PM

Not sure.  IIRC it was black, didn't have the embossed TI logo, had a green 'checked' sticker, and of course that fuse thing.  It seems to be working just fine without the fuse pack though.

just put it on a power strip with a circuit breaker and you are fine

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users