IGNORED

Wanted: fat PS2 laser adjustment

jasonbar

My fat PS2 stopped reading discs the other day.

I adjusted the laser & was able to inconsistently load some discs.

I got a new laser, replaced it, & tried to tune it in. I succeeded in loading only 1 disc.

I seek paid assistance to tune/adjust/whatnot my PS2 so that it reads reliably.

It's got a Duo 3 region mod, & I'm the original owner, & it was a gift; hence my desire to repair rather than replace.

Thank you,

-Jason

Thanks for the reply. I'm unsure how to assess if a laser is good.

The old laser can read some discs, but unreliably.

I got the new laser to read 1 disc after a fair amount of fussing.

With 2 small kids at home, time is my most limited resource, so I can't tackle an adjustment effort at this time.

Thanks,

-Jason

I have my original launch PS2 that had constant disc read errors over the years. After years of trying to tweak and adjust, I finally just took it to a local game repair place that replaced the laser and got it reliable again. Soon after I found a backward compatible PS3 that I now use for all my PS2 gaming and it feels like a weight has been lifted! My original PS2 is now boxed up and put away. Though I understand your desire to get your PS2 working tip-top again, maybe a BC PS3 or a cheap PS2 replacement would be a good idea for you if you can't find someone/someplace to fix it? Good luck!

Thanks for the further replies.

I do have a PS3 slim on my big modern TV. I don't think I'd ever tried playing PS1 or PS2 games on it. I popped in PS1 Tomb Raider. Wow, does it ever look bad on a 46" flat screen TV! Eek! PS2 game didn't work, JP PS1 & CD-R PS1 & JP CD-R PS1 games didn't work.

So, I don't think the PS3 route is for me.

I've got a line on a local modded PS2 slim at a fair price. That's looking like the best option for me at this time.

Thanks!
-Jason

Picked up a modded PS2 slim today. I'd never really seen a slim before *blush*. Pretty slick.

It handled the various discs I popped into it, so I seem to be good to go.

--

Anybody interested in a super clean fat PS2 w/ a Duo 3 region mod with a pretty much non-working laser? (and a spare laser to try to fix it?)

Figured I'd first post here in this thread, where there was helpful input & people familiar with the topic.

Thanks,

-Jason